Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent light laptop for college and beyond

Options
  • 31-07-2012 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

I am looking to get a new sub 2kg laptop for going back to college. Currently using a Samsung n10 but this has suffered the white screen of death and is a bit too small. Mainly used for college, you-tubing but also playback of movies and TV. No gaming for me. Not a Mac fan so it stick to a window jobby.

Minimum 13"screen but could live with 15" depending on the weight. Would like 3rd gen Core i5 or above with a Hybrid or 256 Gb SSD drive, 6 - 8 Gb RAM and decent graphics, Optical drive not required but ethernet and a few USB ports essential, HDMI port would be nice. 6 hour battery life as minimum.

Budget: Under a grand

We have a Dell Inspiron 15 and two destops in the house and have been happy with them so would consider them first. There always seems to be a 10% discount around.

Dell XPS 13 looks very sleek and pricey but seems to be very limited with I/O ports and running on 2nd gen Core i5. New Inspiron 14z looks a better bet but seems to come in mild Core i3 and HHD or XPS Core i7 ultrabook with SSD and price to match.

Any suggestions welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Have you seen the new Lenovo Ultrabook? Ivy Core i7 (duo), GT 610M, 8 GB RAM, hybrid drive (20 GB/1 TB) 9 hrs battery life, HDMI, 2x USB 2.0, 2x USB 3.0, Gigabit LAN, weighs 1.8 kg. €899 at komplett.ie (not in stock before Aug 10).

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭prochida

Torqay wrote: »
    Have you seen the new Lenovo Ultrabook? Ivy Core i7 (duo), GT 610M, 8 GB RAM, hybrid drive (20 GB/1 TB) 9 hrs battery life, HDMI, 2x USB 2.0, 2x USB 3.0, Gigabit LAN, weighs 1.8 kg. €899 at komplett.ie (not in stock before Aug 10).

Looks like a good machine, maybe I can get a look at one in a brick and mortar outlet ? Harvey Norman, PC word or soundstore.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Torqay wrote: »

That looks very impressive indeed. Might be interested in that myself! Although I'd want a full fat SSD, none of this hybrid stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

That looks very impressive indeed. Might be interested in that myself! Although I'd want a full fat SSD, none of this hybrid stuff!

Not a fan of hybrids myself and what's worse, they probably don't work in an enclosure. :(

Advertisement