Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Primary School Teaching after Arts (UCD)

• 31-07-2012 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

I am looking to pursue a career in primary school teaching after I finish college but at the moment I am doing Arts in UCD - going into 2nd year ( Psychology and Sociology ) I was wondering how hard would it be to get into a post grad course in a teaching college as I plan to do an Irish course this year as I did not do honours Irish in Leaving Cert. If it was far from guaranteed I was considering going back and doing the leaving cert again this year as I am only 19 and I feel I would be able to get the required points but that would add on an extra year which I would like to avoid. Anybody with any experience or knowledge care to point me in the right direction?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

As I always feel the necessity to point out in these threads, if you didn't do higher level Irish in the leaving cert, you are a long, long way from the standard of Irish you need to be a good primary school teacher. A C3 in higher level is also a long way short of an acceptable standard and you don't even have that.

If you are serious about becoming a primary teacher, make sure you fix that before you start along with any other serious deficiencies you might have in your skills to date (maths is another area commonly found wanting in my experience).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭A19B1C12

how do the colleges decide on whether or not you get accepted for a post grad position though??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

johnb03 wrote: »
    how do the colleges decide on whether or not you get accepted for a post grad position though??

You have to do an interview in both English and Irish, after you've fulfilled all other requirements (C3 in HL Irish etc.).

The interviews are usually very tough. They're particularly difficult to get through in the bricks and mortar colleges (St. Pats, Mary I, Froebel, Marino), because each of those colleges only offer around 60 or less places each, compared to hundreds in Hibernia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

johnb03 wrote: »
    I am looking to pursue a career in primary school teaching after I finish college but at the moment I am doing Arts in UCD - going into 2nd year ( Psychology and Sociology ) I was wondering how hard would it be to get into a post grad course in a teaching college as I plan to do an Irish course this year as I did not do honours Irish in Leaving Cert. If it was far from guaranteed I was considering going back and doing the leaving cert again this year as I am only 19 and I feel I would be able to get the required points but that would add on an extra year which I would like to avoid. Anybody with any experience or knowledge care to point me in the right direction?

Seeing as you are in UCD, try the Díoplóma sa Ghaeilge Fheidhmeach there. It's a two-year evening course, on two evenings a week and, most importantly for you, this course is accepted in lieu of a C in LC Honours Irish to become a primary teacher.

1st year will commence in September 2013 as 2nd year is starting this September. Now, if I were in your situation I'd contact the School of Irish in UCD and ask them could you start 2nd year this September and do 1st year next year. Yes, the deadline is passed and all that but... exceptions are made. You have nothing to lose by asking.

Advertisement