Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appropriate length for a Conference Poster Abstract

Options
  • 31-07-2012 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭

So, I'm currently writing my first ever abstract for submission to a conference, and am having some trouble figuring out what to do lengthwise. I have the guts of my first draft written, and it'll probably sit somewhere around the 300 word mark once I've gone over it a few times, but the word limit for submission is 1000, and I genuinely don't think I can get to that without either going into as much detail as I'd be putting on the poster, or waffling.

Should I be aiming for that word limit, or is it artificially large to accommodate everyone? From looking around, it seems to be on the long end of the spectrum for abstracts...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

:eek: 1000 words?! Most abstracts I've submitted have to have been between 200 and 500!

If you can accurately and clearly describe your research in fewer words then I don't see it as problematic really; clarity and succinctness are to be praised ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Raphael wrote: »
    I have the guts of my first draft written, and it'll probably sit somewhere around the 300 word mark once I've gone over it a few times, but the word limit for submission is 1000...
    I've seen papers shorter than 1,000 words - that is far too long for an abstract. To be honest, I'd even say that 300 is pretty long for an abstract too.

Short and to the point is the way to go. If I saw a 1000 word essay in an abstract book, I'd skip right by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

For a poster? Shoot for 150 to 200 words. Use a type size people will actually want to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

1000 seems huge for an abstract (to the point of it not really being an abstract anymore). I'd regard 150-250 as a reasonable length, with 300 being acceptable but on the longer end of things.

Advertisement