Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Builders working to SF88

• 31-07-2012 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi,
    We're finding it difficult to find builders who want to work to SF88 or even quote for them. Why would this be? I want to do a single story high spec house extension.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67385383

There shouldn't really be a problem using the SF88 as long as you have a nominated 'architect/administrator' who knows what they are doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

SF88 is a standard form (short) of building contract and is fairly straight forward. Have any suggested using the RIAI Blue Form without Quantities, which is a more comprehensive contract and would be used quiet a bit. If a building contractor isn't happy to use any of the standard forms of contacts, I would be slow to engage that builder, The standard forms of Contract published by the RIAI are agreed by most of the key players in the Irish Construction Industry.

A contact is there to protect both parties, both client (normally referred to as a employer) and the building contractor and therefore is as much in their interest to have one as it is yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭radiat

Thanks for the replies.

I've the tender documents drawn up, would you be able to PM me the name of some builders who would work to that contract.

Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

radiat wrote: »
    Hi,
    We're finding it difficult to find builders who want to work to SF88 or even quote for them.

Hi radiat. You didn't really answer PUT's question above. Have you an architect/contract administrator?

If you are the client (not sure if you are?) and contract administrator, you are going to find it more difficult to get any builder as they may consider the contract administrator (if s/he is also the client) to be somewhat biased!

I (as an architect) have yet to come across a builder who will not work under contract (incl. SF88), many of them will insist on it.

Yes, I've employed an architect who has designed it and put together the tender document.

I'm the client.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Yes, I've employed an architect who has designed it and put together the tender document.

I'm the client.

Is the architect going to be contract administrator?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Open A

The SF in SF88 stands for Short Form. It is a very simple contract and not suitable for all but the smallest and most straightforward projects. For example there is no clause in the SF contract for you to nominate a subcontractor: you may want to choose a company to supply and fit a kitchen or windows. The blue or yellow forms of contract offer the builder more protection in this and a couple of other instances: perhaps the builder doesn't want to use it because it isn't suitable.

You can PM me for builder suggestions.

<SNIP>

Mod edit: You have a sig and thats sufficient. Thanks.

Thanks again folks.
    Yes, the architect is going to be the contract administrator.
    I want the builder to take responsibily for all the work without getting others involved.
    I've left it to the architect to use the contract he thinks is most appropriate for our case.

Most of the builders want money up front and aren't happy with anything other than a very short retention period. One builder said he wasn't prepared to "jump through hoops" as part of the tender process.

another builder said he didn't want to spend the money on a quantity surveyor and not get the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

Most of the builders want money up front and aren't happy with anything other than a very short retention period. One builder said he wasn't prepared to "jump through hoops" as part of the tender process.

You would be better off staying way from those type of builders, in fact other descriptions comes to mind in what to describe them.

Thanks again folks.
    Yes, the architect is going to be the contract administrator.
    I want the builder to take responsibily for all the work without getting others involved.
    I've left it to the architect to use the contract he thinks is most appropriate for our case.

Hmmm. Maybe/possibly not worth considering those builders? They obvioulsy have cash flow issues more so than any other particular issue in relation to the form of contract (aside obvioulsy from payment/money terms set out in the contract) - using the Blue or Yellow forms of contract (as suggested by Open A above will not resolve these issues).

I would be very reluctant to consider paying a builder anything up front but what I have done in the past is agreed with the builder to do a valuation every 2 weeks (say on a Thurday morning), issue cert for payment immediatley (by lunchtime on Thursday) and clients have agreed to pay value of cert within 24 hours/by Friday lunchtime, this sort of agreement can give builder some comfort and help his cash flow/financial planning.

It is getting harder and harder for builders as I believe any form of credit from builders providers/suppliers is basically gone at this point and it is simply now payment up front/cash on delivery.

• Advertisement

any recommendations of builders would be great if you could PM them to me. I'm in Firhouse in Dublin.
    Thanks.

Advertisement