Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap minimalist shoes?

Options
  • 31-07-2012 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

What cheap options are there for minimalist shoes?

The €4 canvas shoes in Penney's are great but don't last long - any ideas how to make them more durable?

Anyone know anywhere you can get good light shoes like Puma H-Streets, Nike Frees or light flat racers for under €40.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Depending on your foot size you may be able to pick up some of the shoes in clearance bins. In general the minimalist running shoes are quite new as far as product development goes, so unllikely to find too many cheap.

On the other hand how long will it take you to wear out x10 pairs of the €4 shoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭event

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Basically you just want a pair of plimsoles to run in? The likes of barratts would have them as well. Not sure if they'll be any more durable than the penneys ones though. Did they wear specific shoes like this back in the day or did they just buy them off the shelf in dunnes?
    event wrote: »

They've been discontinued. Buy lots if you want to keep using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I think (I hope) it's just that colour that's been discontinued. If you look at the Brooks site you can see all the new colours. And, if you don't mind sporting a Union Jack, there'll be lots of the Olympic special editions going cheap an a few weeks time I would think

I think (I hope) it's just that colour that's been discontinued. If you look at the Brooks site you can see all the new colours. And, if you don't mind sporting a Union Jack, there'll be lots of the Olympic special editions going cheap an a few weeks time I would think

Nope brooks have announced they are discontinuing them. Unless they've done a uturn on that decision but they've said they won't be continuing the line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

:mad: I was really starting to like mine. Might get a few pairs now they're going cheap though.

OP, You can sometimes get cheap minimalist shoes in the clearance sales in the big stores. I pickep up a pair of Puma Faas 300 for about €30 in JJB's a few months ago.

Nope brooks have announced they are discontinuing them. Unless they've done a uturn on that decision but they've said they won't be continuing the line.

Sheeeyyyiitt. They are actually the only pair of runners that I currently run that I really like. Way nicer that Kinvara 2, which are a huge disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

As a proud owner of four pairs of Green Silence, this is terrible news.

What would be a suitable alternative? What's the closest to them out there?

They are the only runners I've really run in (found them great from intervals to marathons).

They're expanding their pure project line with a more minamilist shoe which is meant to 'replace' the launch. Green silence is just been discontinued because it didn't sell very well.

Not generally a fan of brooks myself but picked up a pair of pure connect a few months ago and think its an all round great training shoe. Looking forward to the pure flow to see what that throws up.

They're expanding their pure project line with a more minamilist shoe which is meant to 'replace' the launch. Green silence is just been discontinued because it didn't sell very well.

Not generally a fan of brooks myself but picked up a pair of pure connect a few months ago and think its an all round great training shoe. Looking forward to the pure flow to see what that throws up.

That's handy for them. Especially since the Pure range are about 30 quid more expensive then the green silence. I must stock up on a few pairs when they get reduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I think as a shoe it was way ahead of its time and the big shift to minimalism meant this was overlooked as a great shoe and considered more of a 'hippy / save the planet' kind of shoe which is a great shame. (not the save the planet bit, the overlooking...)

Advertisement