Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Dubliners the Culchies of Europe?

Options
  • 31-07-2012 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

My relatives from London were over in Dublin recently for the first time and the exact word they used to describe Dublin was "rural"! Are we just the Culchies of Europe? :D

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Them London folks are so cosmopolitan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

starch4ser wrote: »
    My relatives from London were over in Dublin recently for the first time and the exact word they used to describe Dublin was "rural"! Are we just the Culchies of Europe? :D

Yes, indeed, because your cockney family saw some grass instead of children working in the poorhouses, cleaning chimneys etc.

Yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Tell them to visit Cardiff...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

It's all relative.

My girlfriend's home has grass growing in the middle of the road outside, she would still refer to some of her neighbours as being "really in the middle of nowhere", whereas she's just outside town (a very small rural town that she considers to be fairly big).

Dublin is not a big city on the global scale. But then a lot of people who live in big cities actually live most of their lives in districts outside the city centre or in suburbs and might visit down-town a couple of times a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Do you not get it, lads? The Irish are the blacks of Europe. And Dubliners are the blacks of Ireland. And the Northside Dubliners are the blacks of Dublin. So say it once, say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

hardCopy wrote: »
    It's all relative.

My girlfriend's home has grass growing in the middle of the road outside, she would still refer to some of her neighbours as being "really in the middle of nowhere", whereas she's just outside town (a very small rural town that she considers to be fairly big).

Dublin is not a big city on the global scale. But then a lot of people who live in big cities actually live most of their lives in districts outside the city centre or in suburbs and might visit down-town a couple of times a year.

In terms of one of the smaller capital cities in Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

If Dublin is rural then I've been using that word incorrectly my whole life.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

culchies are the culchies of europe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Did they visit the Phoenix park and nothing else?
    A small European capital? Yes.
    Rural? No

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Rural? It's not as if there are horses running around all over town!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I have found that European capitals with populations under 2 million tend to be 'rural'.
    there is definitely less individualism in Dublin and folks are less concerned about their appearance than other european cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

My relatives from London were over in Dublin recently for the first time and the exact word they used to describe Dublin was "rural"! Are we just the Culchies of Europe? biggrin.gif

I can sort of see where they are coming from. Whenever I fly over Dublin I'm always amazed at how close some farms are to the city... Swords, North County Dublin, Howth etc... and you can drive around parts of Portmarnock and think you are in the sticks! The close proximity of the Dublin and Wicklow mountains is a treat for most city dwellers. We are very lucky in that way.
    Fuinseog wrote: »
    there is definitely less individualism in Dublin and folks are less concerned about their appearance than other european cities.

I certainly wouldn't agree with that. I work closely with the creative industries and the city is full of individualism, plenty of events, galleries, workshops, shows etc that will expose you to all sorts of people. It's part of the reason plenty of my friends love visiting Dublin. Not sure what you mean about Dubliners not concerned about their appearances, I guess you're just trying to get another cheap shot at us and the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I can sort of see where they are coming from. Whenever I fly over Dublin I'm always amazed at how close some farms are to the city... Swords, North County Dublin, Howth etc... and you can drive around parts of Portmarnock and think you are in the sticks! The close proximity of the Dublin and Wicklow mountains is a treat for most city dwellers. We are very lucky in that way.

I was in Rome the other weekend and it was the same - and that would be a fairly big city. As soon as the city ends the farms/rural land begin. 30 minutes on the bus and it was empty land all over the place. I wouldn't say farms but it was pretty "rural"
    I certainly wouldn't agree with that. I work closely with the creative industries and the city is full of individualism, plenty of events, galleries, workshops, shows etc that will expose you to all sorts of people. It's part of the reason plenty of my friends love visiting Dublin. Not sure what you mean about Dubliners not concerned about their appearances, I guess you're just trying to get another cheap shot at us and the city.

I agree. I lived in Lyon which would have roughly the same population as Dublin and there was much less of an individualist (whatever you want to call it) vibe about the place. I see loads of different people/styles around Dublin, different tastes, events etc than I did there. Dublin is a lot more, I dunno, colourful or something.

To be honest I think the OP is just a butthurt bogger trying to bitch about Dublin. :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Rural? It's not as if there are horses running around all over town!

They could have been in Ballyfermot :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 valeriebaer

Ireland was always regarded as the Jewel in the British (territorial) crown....by the British aristocracy. If by rurual they meant that the innards of dead warthogs werent swinging outside their window as it must do in Laaaaahhhnnnddddiiiinnnnnn - then yeh - I guess we're rural. But I'd much rather go swiimming on Portmarnock beach then have the hairs of my arse burnt off in another Lahhhhnnddddinnnn cosmopolitan riot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Ireland was always regarded as the Jewel in the British (territorial) crown....by the British aristocracy. If by rurual they meant that the innards of dead warthogs werent swinging outside their window as it must do in Laaaaahhhnnnddddiiiinnnnnn - then yeh - I guess we're rural. But I'd much rather go swiimming on Portmarnock beach then have the hairs of my arse burnt off in another Lahhhhnnddddinnnn cosmopolitan riot.

:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Avatarr

John_Rambo wrote: »

It's amazing how lighthearted threads get ambushed by the serious crowd, lighten up guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭starch4ser

Fuinseog wrote: »

Is this a polite way of saying us Dubliners are inbred?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement