Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 7 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭celticsfan

lafors wrote: »
    Ordered one of these for my nexus 7 and the wife's nexus 10.
    Got good reviews on xda.
    41d9vLjyTAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Google-Slim-Fit-Multi-Angle-Automatic-Function/dp/B008Q7DDIA

I got that one too..its a nice little cover mate..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Looks the same as this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Poetic-HardBack-Protective-Manufacturer-Warranty/dp/B008IEGS9W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1355184385&sr=8-2
    Which I have been using since launch. Far exceeded my expectations at its price.
    I particularly like the minimal intrusion around the edges. Very handy with the N7, especially when
    using it as an eBook reader.

I was waiting for Amazon to get the N10 version in, thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Not a person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭one man clappin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

about fcukin time...dont see the galaxy nexus listed tho :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Does not work with rooted devices, :(

That's to be expected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

lookslike i will reroot and lock the nexus 7 to get me some sky sports action in time for the holidays.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Got good reviews on xda.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Google-Slim-Fit-Multi-Angle-Automatic-Function/dp/B008Q7DDIA

Thanks for that i just ordered one there.

Sky Go app is working great.
    I thought the quality was crap at first but after a few seconds of starting to view it improves and really is pretty darn good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Got good reviews on xda.

Got it today, brilliant cover. Better than most official covers I've ever had.

• Advertisement

Just installed the deezer app and registered...quality stuff,havent tried spotify,dont think i will either!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Anyone still having trouble with the 4.2 update? Just got a Nexus during the week and it's asking me to update but I've read about people experiencing lagging issues after updating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Not a person

Any idea when the 3G nexus 7 will be back in stock?

Before anyone says, no i don`t want to tether with my phone. I want to get the 3G nexus 7!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

celticsfan wrote: »
    I got that one too..its a nice little cover mate..:)

Got it yesterday as well. Great cover for the money. Propping it up is so handy. I need the laptop for even less now!

Any way to sign up with Deezer without facebook?

Dcully wrote: »
    Any way to sign up with Deezer without facebook?

I dont use facebook really so just made up a quick account,dont think you can do it without facebook but when you have done,you can go into the app and choose the option to unlink your deezer account from facebook..so your mates wont see if your listening to and dodgy tunes or that :)

• Advertisement

pedatron wrote: »
    Got it yesterday as well. Great cover for the money. Propping it up is so handy. I need the laptop for even less now!

agreed mate,id bought the overpriced lump of rubber with it upon purchase but watching films and stuff i got a pain in me rear end holding it in my hand..gotta have the stand for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mrsfisherman

I have just put the Nexus 7 charging. I am not one bit tech but want to be able to upload Angry Birds on it for Christmas morning and can work away from there then. Can one of you boardies help me pleeeeaase ? I don't want to disappoint my child and don't want to headache of figuring it out on the morning. Thanks for your help in advance.

I have just put the Nexus 7 charging. I am not one bit tech but want to be able to upload Angry Birds on it for Christmas morning and can work away from there then. Can one of you boardies help me pleeeeaase ? I don't want to disappoint my child and don't want to headache of figuring it out on the morning. Thanks for your help in advance.

Its very easy to get to grips with mate,id never had a tablet myself before i got this one!! the play store app comes preinstalled and should be on the bottom of your screen..just click on that,and type angry birds into the search bar on the top once its opened..i think there are several releases of the game,angry birds 1,2 etc etc... after that just follow the on screen instructions..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Its very easy to get to grips with mate,id never had a tablet myself before i got this one!! the play store app comes preinstalled and should be on the bottom of your screen..just click on that,and type angry birds into the search bar on the top once its opened..i think there are several releases of the game,angry birds 1,2 etc etc... after that just follow the on screen instructions..

Just to add, You need to login to/create a Google account first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

One of the best things about it for me is that once you have set up your Play account (linked it to a gmail address etc) you can upload apps to the Nexus 7 from any computer when you log into Google through a web browser. Just go to google and click the play button at the top. Genius

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Just to add, You need to login to/create a Google account first

oops forgot that bit:D..do that upon your first time starting it and connect to your wifi internet and then its apps all the way..

thanks for your quick reply celticsfan. So I turned it on, picked the language - selected the wifi and hit connect but this is as far as I got - the signal strength says excellent. what do I need to do - I am so not tech... any help appreciated.

Thanks Pogmothoin and Synode too - see ur responses only now - hoping ye can help me to log in. I have a gmail account so need to see where to log in to start this.

Did you get the main desktop up?

If so, you just click the Google play app which has a logo like this

x1.jpg

Then you should be able to just follow the steps to link it to your gmail account and once that's done you can download free apps through the Play Store app.

thanks for your quick reply celticsfan. So I turned it on, picked the language - selected the wifi and hit connect but this is as far as I got - the signal strength says excellent. what do I need to do - I am so not tech... any help appreciated.

You need to select your own Internet connection..if its eircom,you will see that and a few digits following it..it may also detect your neighbours so just select yours and then it will ask for a password or wpa,this is to access your wifi connection from your provider and you can find the number in the booklet that came with your box or on the back of the box itself...then once thats entered it will proceed to ask do you and a gmail account,then select yes and enter your gmail password..all correspondance like the emails you receive when buying an app will be sent to that email account you have entered...:) then you should be good to go

You need to select your own Internet connection..if its eircom,you will see that and a few digits following it..it may also detect your neighbours so just select yours and then it will ask for a password or wpa,this is to access your wifi connection from your provider and you can find the number in the booklet that came with your box or on the back of the box itself...then once thats entered it will proceed to ask do you and a gmail account,then select yes and enter your gmail password..all correspondance like the emails you receive when buying an app will be sent to that email account you have entered...:) then you should be good to go

Ok, thanks. Will try it on my own wifi at home later so. Thanks for your assistance.

Ok, thanks. Will try it on my own wifi at home later so. Thanks for your assistance.

well it can only work on wifi connections anyways unless you bought the 3g version..i only tend to use mine at home really,dont use the internet when away from home..maybe just a kindle book or bit of music..good luck with it mate

just to make it really plain english, I have broadband at home with 3 but was able to get a wifi box so I am hoping that this will do !! oh crikey, I am getting worried now.

just to make it really plain english, I have broadband at home with 3 but was able to get a wifi box so I am hoping that this will do !! oh crikey, I am getting worried now.

I dont know much about 3's service to be honest,but id suspect ifs fine..most people will either have the wifi setup or one of those dongle things..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

is there a way to fool sky go that the device isn't rooted or is my only option to unroot it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Synode wrote: »

It looks ****. Nexus 7 is quite a pretty device. Most cases destroy that. Ive only seen one nice case for it on eBay.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Ordered the nexus during the week,looking for case now.
    I saw some recommened a few pages back on amazon but I haven't an account there.
    Would someone be able to recommend a case on ebay maybe or maybe a site that uses paypal

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Ordered the nexus during the week,looking for case now.
    I saw some recommened a few pages back on amazon but I haven't an account there.
    Would someone be able to recommend a case on ebay maybe or maybe a site that uses paypal
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/230893463955?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I love this one, though it doesn't have a stand feature :( its nice and slim though. Pretty much no extra bulk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Just got my nexus 7 today and the default browser( chrome) is scrolling like an octonegarian , isn't it all meant to be project buttery smooth ?

Any help explaining this or indeed remedying this would be great appreciated .

Sidenote: I have yet to update to jellybean 4.2 as some have complained of it causing their apps to lag or something could that be it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭irishgeo

tok9 wrote: »
    is there a way to fool sky go that the device isn't rooted or is my only option to unroot it?

check this out but i have no idea if it works or not.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.troy1103.hideyourroot&hl=en

irishgeo wrote: »

Tried it there but no luck so I refunded it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

tok9 wrote: »
    Tried it there but no luck so I refunded it

Just out of curiosity's sake, are you on a custom rom? stock ics,jb?

irishgeo wrote: »

Tried that before and it didn't work.

• Advertisement

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Nillkin-Fashion-Smart-Wakeup-Folio-Leather-Case-for-Google-Nexus-7-8GB-16GB-32GB-/261133263645?pt=UK_iPad_Tablet_Cases_Covers_Keyboard_Folios&var=&hash=item3cccc1631d

Found this one so far. Looks nice, simple, elegant, wont break your piggy bank.

Though its in China so probably wont get here till jus before or after new year.

It's hard to see from the pictures but it doesn't look like that case stands on its own. You really want one that does.

Look through all the pics in the description. It does show it standing. I just ordered a red one. Hope it will come before xmas. I tried one case from a Chinese shop in Dublin, but the magnet kept putting the tablet to sleep when flipping it open and putting the front cover behind the tablet. So had to return it. As far as I seen all cases around Dublin are the same or just flipping ugly.

232507.JPG

Also found this, not the prettiest thing, but I have one for my S3 and it works great. I actually only use the actual case as a stand on a bus or a train.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/BARGAIN-GOOGLE-NEXUS-7-BUNDLE-KICK-STAND-CASE-COVER-SCREEN-PROTECTOR-POUCH-/360536064725?pt=UK_iPad_Tablet_Cases_Covers_Keyboard_Folios&var=&hash=item53f19fc2d5

IMAG0818_zps9f9cd9c0.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭higster

Is there any way to get n7 to share on home network ie share with nas drive?

Well after a few weeks with the N7 its a great device, my only issue is the wifi seems a lot weaker than my other devices.
    For example my HTC radar windows phone and ipod have much better signal strength as does my wifes and sons andriod phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Not sure if was mentioned, but was reminded when getting one for my dad today ...... I only have a cheapo tablet not a posh nexus 7 :(

But the €2 shops have perfectly acceptable stands for 1.50 !!! as good as ones i've seen with the word nexus on them going for 15-20 quid lol

• Advertisement

TheTechGuy wrote: »

Just out of curiosity's sake, are you on a custom rom? stock ics,jb?

I was on a custom but changed back to stock to get the new update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

calex71 wrote: »
    But the €2 shops have perfectly acceptable stands for 1.50 !!! as good as ones i've seen with the word nexus on them going for 15-20 quid lol

Same goes for people needing a stylus for use with Quill, SketchBook Pro, PS Touch etc.

There is absolutely no difference between a branded stylus like Bamboo, Griffin, etc.. and what the €2 shops are providing. The nib is a hollowed out nipple of extremely light latex\rubber like material that just works as it should.

Picked up the following, €1 each, from a €2 Eurostore by the LUAS stop on Abbey Street Lower.

2eurostoresstylus.jpg

They work fine. Don't expect miracles, as the likes of the Nexus 7 (..the tablet that I own) doesn't have an active digitizer, like the Samsung Galaxy Note, Note 2 etc.

calex71 wrote: »
    Not sure if was mentioned, but was reminded when getting one for my dad today ...... I only have a cheapo tablet not a posh nexus 7 :(

But the thing is its not just a stand people want, we want a protective case that also transforms into a stand :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jonski

Dcully wrote: »
    But the thing is its not just a stand people want, we want a protective case that also transforms into a stand :)

I have the Sandstrom case that they sell in PC World and I find it perfect . The protective level just about covers my paranoia and it is held in at the corners by four little elastic catches rather than the ones that have that leather thingy going around all the edges which seems to look frayed and loose after a bit of use . Also the leather hinge part at the back that allows it to stand seems a lot stronger than other cases I have seen so it would loosen out after a while .

I don't think I would have bought this myself but my sister gave it to me as a birthday present , tbh I thought it was a bit over priced but maybe its worth it and it's just my financial embarrassment that prevented me from buying it myself .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

Have to set one of these up today for someone. So going to put sky go,angry birds, boards, couple of media outlet apps on it. Any other suggestions also antivirus some say its needed others it's not are ye guys running anything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement