Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 7 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

poolboy wrote: »
    Have to set one of these up today for someone. So going to put sky go,angry birds, boards, couple of media outlet apps on it. Any other suggestions also antivirus some say its needed others it's not are ye guys running anything.

Im using avast mobile security for anti virus.

Other than that i suggest

adverts.ie app
    Deezer for streaming and downloading music
    MX player for watching movies etc
    Tunein radio

If interested in gaming and interested in watching games streamed live the twitch tv app is a must, also the steam app is good if a gamer.

Other than that youtube and google + which come with the device anyways but worth adding their widgets to one of the screens, very usefull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

higster wrote: »
    Is there any way to get n7 to share on home network ie share with nas drive?

ES File Explorer has a LAN option and should pick up your wireless network. Streaming/exploring works well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Dcully wrote: »
    Im using avast mobile security for anti virus.

You do not need an antivirus, only Windows desktop OS gets viruses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

PogMoThoin wrote: »

Yeah but there`s apps there that intrude on your personal data and there's more than a few. Theres also WebKit browser exploits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Yeah but there`s apps there that intrude on your personal data and there's more than a few.

Don't install them then.
    Theres also WebKit browser exploits.

Will Avast mobile or any of the others protect you from this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

PogMoThoin wrote: »

Tongue in cheek?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Got the tablet 2 days ago and I'm really impressed with it, have to say. Have it synched up with the HTPC for sharing and streaming my media over the network through XBMC + add-ons which is set up the same way on the tablet.

Wasn't a big fan on tablets but this one is right up my street in terms of power and portability. Didn't bother rooting it as I'm pretty satisfied with the OS so far for what I need it to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Is XBMC stable on the Nexus 7? I'll be installing it as soon as I have a minute.

If it is stable, why can't you get it through the Play store?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Synode wrote: »
    Is XBMC stable on the Nexus 7? I'll be installing it as soon as I have a minute.

It's worked grand for me so far on my nexus 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

Right,

Just spent the last three hours trying to flash a ROM on the nexus 7. Couldn't figure out what was wrong for ages but then eventually realised I had lost root access since I accepted the OTA update of 4.2.1. The nexus Toolkit doesn't appear to be working for me this time around and I have no idea how to re-root the tablet.

HELP please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Downloaded the latest version of flash and dolphin browser but still can't get flash enabled on the browser. Is there another step I may be missing?

It's more or less stable, I find. Still the odd crash but not enough that would stop you using the app. It's quite slow (around 10 seconds) to load a movie / TV show from my HTPC through the software while it's instantaneous through something like ES File Explorer.

It's the Frodo version which means it's not the final release so there's still going to be odd wrinkles yet to be ironed out but I'm happy with it, almost functions as good as the XBMC on the HTPC.

You won't find it on the Play store yet but you can grab it over at their site

Can you use ES File explorer on the Nexus 7 to stream movies from a NAS?

You can, as far as I know. In my case I have it accessing shared folders on my machine, works flawlessly and loads files instantly.

.mkv files are still chugging, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Can you use ES File explorer on the Nexus 7 to stream movies from a NAS?

Yip. I use ES File explorer on Nexus 7 to access a NAS with MX player for viewing vids.

Right, so I need MX player too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Right, so I need MX player too

Not sure if you need mx player. I think the "stock" es video player will play most file types. I use MX player as it seems to have the best reviews.

I have been playing around with xbmc the past half hour or so and that is picking up my nas as a upnp device and plays vids fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭one man clappin

pedatron wrote: »
    Right,

Just spent the last three hours trying to flash a ROM on the nexus 7. Couldn't figure out what was wrong for ages but then eventually realised I had lost root access since I accepted the OTA update of 4.2.1. The nexus Toolkit doesn't appear to be working for me this time around and I have no idea how to re-root the tablet.

HELP please!
    Hi Pedatron, download Wugfresh toolkit from here
    , set your model type to Nexus 7 and the build and software that you currently have installed. Then you just need to hit "Root". There is no need to unlock the bootloader again. This is the easiest way I have found for rooting the Nexus 7.

Edit to add: This is the latest version of Wugfresh's toolkit, which allows for rooting with jellybean 4.2.1

, set your model type to Nexus 7 and the build and software that you currently have installed. Then you just need to hit "Root". There is no need to unlock the bootloader again. This is the easiest way I have found for rooting the Nexus 7.

Edit to add: This is the latest version of Wugfresh's toolkit, which allows for rooting with jellybean 4.2.1

Thank you so so much one man. I'll try when I'm home!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

Will you be able to receive ota updates after rooting nexus7?
    I have rooted galaxy note 2 and getting error message and need to download roms and flash through odin. How does it work with nexus7?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭one man clappin

iwo wrote: »
    Will you be able to receive ota updates after rooting nexus7?
    I have rooted galaxy note 2 and getting error message and need to download roms and flash through odin. How does it work with nexus7?

Yes you should be able to. I rooted my Nexus so I could use a USB flash drive with movies on it. I got the update to 4.2.1 OTA when it became available.
    Not sure whether to unroot it or not to get SkyGo working on it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

My nexus 7 came in the post today :D
    So is there any most have apps that ppl would recommend?
    Also do any1 know of an app for reading text documents and or cbr files?
    Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Search the thread for the first question, asked and answered.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

dahamsta wrote: »
    Search the thread for the first question, asked and answered.
    Thought I could get away with the lazy approach :pac:
    (Also in case of changes between now and then)

I'm rooted. Superb application. Really good for troubleshooting problems you have! Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 608057

Is anyone else experiencing a rattle coming from the case when it's being rotated or shaken slightly? I only got it last week, dunno if it's always been there and I'm just noticing now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I installed Sky go on mine last night, great app imo.
    Between that and Plex I won't be bored when I'm travelling any more.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Opengarden is great for sharing internet connection between MAC, Windows and Android devices. It instantly connects to other devices with Opengarden installed and hooks up to the internet if any other device has it (eg my laptop had net, hooked up opengarden on that, my Nexus 7 and my Xperia S. Nexus 7 and Xperia S running off the laptop connection with no configuration required)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

This is the first android device I have that I don't feel even slightly tempted to flash anything on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Only reason I would root mine is for proxy droid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Not a person

I want this tablet,

Holding out to get the 3G one though, as i am already on a mobile data plan; I can use it on 5 devices apparently.

Its still sold out on the UK play store though. Doesn`t seem to be on sale anywhere else :mad:

Can anyone watch the RTE player on theirs. Tried Dolphin browser but get a message saying a more recent version of flash is needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭cjlawlor

I basically used the info on this site to get RTE player working on my Nexus 7 -

http://www.howtogeek.com/120277/how-to-install-flash-on-the-nexus-7-and-other-jelly-bean-devices/

I found flash for android archived here (scroll down to Flash Player for Android 4.0 archives) - http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html

Then I installed Firefox Beta which supports the flash plugin -

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mozilla.firefox_beta&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwib3JnLm1vemlsbGEuZmlyZWZveF9iZXRhIl0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

This is the first android device I have that I don't feel even slightly tempted to flash anything on it.

I have MCR on mine purely for the soft buttton mods, having the on the right-hand of the screen in landscape is so much better

Any recommendations for an official style cover, but with the on/off magnet?

Anyone? Can't stand the swiss-army leather things, think they defeat the entire purpose of a 7" tablet. (Especially the stands -- jesus christ, how limp-wristed would you have to be?)

Just looking for a nice silicone or similar cover, with the on/off magnet. Failing that, has anyone actually tried the official one, is it any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Only one I've used is the leather one but its actually grand; saying that though I'm one of those people who only use it on the couch or in bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Hi All

I'm hoping someone can help me with a sound problem I'm having. I believe I'm probably going to have to send it back but said I would post here before I go through the process in case somebody had a similar problem.

My issue is with the sound – problem being that there isn't any. There's no sound from anything from media to alarm etc. Tried with headphones in and nothing either. Have gone into settings and volume controls are set correctly. Tried rebooting and still nothing.

Just wondering if anyone else had this issue, maybe there's some simple fix I'm missing. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭liamhana

got the seidio cover in the post today..fantastic, the sleeve is nicely shaped and the hard shell with stand really works well when streaming.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

liamhana wrote: »
    got the seidio cover in the post today..fantastic, the sleeve is nicely shaped and the hard shell with stand really works well when streaming.

Got this one myself,does a great job of protecting and as a stand.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008Q7DDIA/ref=pe_217191_31005151_dp_1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Just discovered the app TV Portal, has loads of TV shows and movies and the streaming quality is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭ULMarc

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Hi All

I'm hoping someone can help me with a sound problem I'm having. I believe I'm probably going to have to send it back but said I would post here before I go through the process in case somebody had a similar problem.

My issue is with the sound – problem being that there isn't any. There's no sound from anything from media to alarm etc. Tried with headphones in and nothing either. Have gone into settings and volume controls are set correctly. Tried rebooting and still nothing.

Just wondering if anyone else had this issue, maybe there's some simple fix I'm missing. Thanks

Have you ever had sound on it? If not then from a hardware point of view you could try plugging your headphones in and out. I know it sounds like a stupid suggestion but please hear me out. I just want to make sure the simple bases are covered first.

The nexus 7 seems to be notorious for having a really stiff headphone jack right out of the box. I know the first time I used mine I was convinced I had the headphones plugged in and that the sound was broken. I had to give it a decent shove until it clicked in another bit and all was fine. I'm just suggesting that you make sure you're plugging it all the way in to make sure there isn't some phantom circuit keeping the headphone jack active.

If not then we'll need to think of something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Just discovered the app TV Portal, has loads of TV shows and movies and the streaming quality is excellent.
    Wow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

ULMarc wrote: »

Have you ever had sound on it? If not then from a hardware point of view you could try plugging your headphones in and out. I know it sounds like a stupid suggestion but please hear me out. I just want to make sure the simple bases are covered first.

The nexus 7 seems to be notorious for having a really stiff headphone jack right out of the box. I know the first time I used mine I was convinced I had the headphones plugged in and that the sound was broken. I had to give it a decent shove until it clicked in another bit and all was fine. I'm just suggesting that you make sure you're plugging it all the way in to make sure there isn't some phantom circuit keeping the headphone jack active.

If not then we'll need to think of something else.

Yeah had the same thing. You sort of need to push it in properly.

The Official Asus travel cover is only €14.99 in Currys/PC World at the moment, not the greatest case imo but a very good price for it.

Can't find it on their site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

Is there any really good games? Can't seen to find one that I enjoy! Does anyone here use JuiceDefender?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Aidan045

marko93 wrote: »
    Is there any really good games? Can't seen to find one that I enjoy! Does anyone here use JuiceDefender?
    Beach buggy blitz is very good and if you install the tegrazone app you can find some there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Wheres My Water is still my all time favourite android game

Can't find it on their site?

The case? Just pop in to them, they have hundreds in stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

What's the easiest way of rooting the Nexus? Only want to do it to pair it with a PS3 controller.

Cheers

Advertisement