Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 7 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Wugfresh is the easiest way I have found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭budhabob

What's the best app for editing office files on the go?free or paid app.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 scoc

Hi just wondering I was thinking of purchasing a nexus 7 but I read alot about the sleep of death (SOD) that the devices will die overnight after the 4.2 update. Is this true? Has anyone experienced it? Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

budhabob wrote: »
    What's the best app for editing office files on the go?free or paid app.

Officesuite Pro. It's expensive normally but they always sell it for 99c in the sales.
    scoc wrote: »
    Hi just wondering I was thinking of purchasing a nexus 7 but I read alot about the sleep of death (SOD) that the devices will die overnight after the 4.2 update. Is this true? Has anyone experienced it? Thanks!

Never heard of it, have 3 in the family. They all start on 4.2 now, the upgrade is to 4.2.1 btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

http://blogs.computerworld.com/android/21427/android-42-random-reboots

Have N7, HD Widgets & 4.2.1 and only ever get these reboots when HD Widgets App gets an update to fix the reboots :confused:

Great piece of kit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

When you buy an app do you pay through credit card or is it through bill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

When you buy an app do you pay through credit card or is it through bill?

You link your credit card to your Google Wallet and pay instantly. The app is then tied to your Google account, you can use it on any Android device

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Is google play just for apps or is it being expanded to include music and movies and books like Amazon?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

At the moment in Ireland it's just for apps. I think I've seen somewhere that music is coming soon.

dahamsta wrote: »
    At the moment in Ireland it's just for apps. I think I've seen somewhere that music is coming soon.

The USA Play market has movies, books and music. It will come here eventually

• Advertisement

54kroc wrote: »
    The case? Just pop in to them, they have hundreds in stock.

Picked one up in Cork, thanks for the tip. 3 left. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

My Nexus is dying...Nearly a month in ownership.

I haven't used it for a couple of days now. So I picked it up and it wouldn't turn on. So I though the battery might be dead. Plug it into the charger. Give it a minute or so and try to boot it. The minute it boots up it starts shutting down. Battery says 0.

Just after getting into the boot loader. Going to hard reset it :'( and lose all my data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Give it a good charge?

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Give it a good charge?

Don't think that's the problem. Tablet was in Fast boot mode for 5 mins without the charger and it had no problems of staying up. Seems like a hardware issue somewhere.

Just after re flashing a stock ROM onto to it, so definitely not a software issue.

If it was run down completely it won't work properly until you give it a good charge. It makes zero sense to even consider something broken until it's had one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Make sure you use the nexus charger as well as a lot of standard chargers / USB ports don't charge it as fast.

Left it charging over night. Still same thing :S

Sounds like it's busted then, send it back. :)

dahamsta wrote: »
    Sounds like it's busted then, send it back. :)

I think its still withing the 28 days. Gonna try to bring it back tomorrow. If not then :( gonna have to send it off to Asus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Got a Google Now update and the new feature is to allow the Nexus to take pictures of you using your camera and send them to Google without your prompt.

Pretty scary!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭mightybashful

I think its still withing the 28 days. Gonna try to bring it back tomorrow. If not then :( gonna have to send it off to Asus

You should be ok depending where you bought it. I got one at the end of October which was only opened Christmas Day. had the screen seperation issue. HMV Swords were very helpful one I brought it back in the day after Stephens day. They couldn't replace it as they had none in stock but put all the money on a gift card for whenever they're back in stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Hi guys, non rooted device and don't intend to at the moment.

But I have a pile of photos on various laptops that I want to stick in the cloud in order to view them at some stage on the nexus, apart from google drive which limits the amount of space you have to use pr physically connect the devices, what's the best way to do this ?

Basically I want to be able to see them in the same place your photos can be automatically uploaded to when you put them in your gallery.

ThisRegard wrote: »

But I have a pile of photos on various laptops that I want to stick in the cloud in order to view them at some stage on the nexus, apart from google drive which limits the amount of space you have to use pr physically connect the devices, what's the best way to do this ?

Basically I want to be able to see them in the same place your photos can be automatically uploaded to when you put them in your gallery.

Putting them on Facebook is the only way as far I know. Facebook integrates with the gallery. Where as drop box or sky drive are just stand alone.

Check out Picasa, it's a Google software. It allows you upload them online and they will show up as web albums in Gallery

Putting them on Facebook is the only way as far I know. Facebook integrates with the gallery. Where as drop box or sky drive are just stand alone.

I try to keep my facebook account as empty as possible so don't want to go down that road.
    PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Check out Picasa, it's a Google software. It allows you upload them online and they will show up as web albums in Gallery

Could be a runner, I'll check that option out.

I try to keep my facebook account as empty as possible so don't want to go down that road.

Could be a runner, I'll check that option out.

You could upload them to Facebook. Each album has an option to be kept to yourself only if your worried about the world ending.

Picasa is a good option too.

I gave Picasa a go, works perfectly. When I switched the Nexus on after I uploaded them I was amazed to seem them there as soon as I opened the gallery. There's a handy option to make a selected album or gallery available off line and the editing features are handy too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Left it charging over night. Still same thing :S

My daughters nexus just did this, heading back to Curry's today with it

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just plugged in a wired Xbox controller and it is recognised and works OK'ish without needing to do anything fancy. Is there a way to change the control mappings in the likes of GTA though as the buttons seem to be setup in a weird way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

robinph wrote: »
    Just plugged in a wired Xbox controller and it is recognised and works OK'ish without needing to do anything fancy. Is there a way to change the control mappings in the likes of GTA though as the buttons seem to be setup in a weird way.
    Don't know but I want to find out !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Not a person

Nexus 7 3G back on sale on UK play store, if anybody has been looking for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭aka Dus

Has anyone else had any issues with Bluetooth streaming?

I have a wireless speaker and a wireless headphones and occasionally while streaming from the Nexus 7 the audio briefly interrupts - 1-2 seconds. The devices are normally side by side, so there is no issue there.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭aka Dus

On both devices it also randomly changes volume, briefly bursting into a higher level and then reverting to the original level. Forgot about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Talking of bluetooth, are you able to connect the Nexus 7 to an IPhone in order to use the data plan on the IPhone to connect to the internet?

I ask because a family member had a tablet they bought in Tesco and they were able to connect it through bluetooth to an IPhone. This gave them access to the IPhone's 3G and they were able to get onto the internet.

Synode wrote: »
    Talking of bluetooth, are you able to connect the Nexus 7 to an IPhone in order to use the data plan on the IPhone to connect to the internet?

I ask because a family member had a tablet they bought in Tesco and they were able to connect it through bluetooth to an IPhone. This gave them access to the IPhone's 3G and they were able to get onto the internet.

I doubt they did it through Bluetooth, most likely WiFi
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/240794/how_to_tether_your_iphone.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Just to say you can indeed use internet over bluetooth. Serch for a app called Open Garden in the play store, it lets you set up a mesh network for all your cannected android and pc devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

Hi does anyone know how to change the text colour for the clock on the dashboard. I have a white image as a screen saver and its difficult to read the clock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭xtal191

Can anyone recommend some good cheapish screen protectors??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Does anyone know anywhere that repairs nexus 7 screens? Not sure how it happened but there's a nice big hairline crack on mine.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is it hard to get flash on the device?

• Advertisement

Is it hard to get flash on the device?

Just download the apk and use a browser that supports flash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

I got this case. Theres quite a few sellers on eBay selling the same/similar looking one. I would not recommend it. One of the corners is a little lose. A friend got 1 too and had the same issue.

$(KGrHqJ,!pYF!0!b(rHPBQ(+(6lt7Q~~60_12.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭stevek93

tvercetti wrote: »
    I got this case. Theres quite a few sellers on eBay selling the same/similar looking one. I would not recommend it. One of the corners is a little lose. A friend got 1 too and had the same issue.

$(KGrHqJ,!pYF!0!b(rHPBQ(+(6lt7Q~~60_12.JPG

Have a look at the nillkin case. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

stevek93 wrote: »
    Have a look at the nillkin case. :)

I liked the look of them but the delivery time put me off initally. Now I have something to protect it, I might order a Nillkin. How does it stay closed? Is it comfortable to use if you fold the cover flat over and not use the stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Have you tried any of the other free cloud servies available (i.e. Dropbox, sugarsync, Box etc)?

You could create an account on any of them and uplaod yous pics to the cloud. They all have Android apps, or you can use ES file manager to access your data with them.

Yeah, thought about those but decided to stay within the whole google 'experience' as I have several devices so everything is pretty seamless when logged in with the same account.

Yeah, thought about those but decided to stay within the whole google 'experience' as I have several devices so everything is pretty seamless when logged in with the same account.

Probably not an ideal solution, but create a seperate google account for you pictures and use this. It would mean signing into google drive using a specific account on the various devices which kinda defeats the purpose of been seamless.

But if I use Picassa it's associated with my google account so I can see my pictures say on my desktop, on my nexus or on my phone so it's a perfect solution to use picassa. No need for separate accounts.

But if I use Picassa it's associated with my google account so I can see my pictures say on my desktop, on my nexus or on my phone so it's a perfect solution to use picassa. No need for separate accounts.

So your issue isn't getting stuff off your devices.

To add an album to your gallery, open you the gallery app, tap the albums button and select Picasa web albums, simples.

LOL, I think you missed my post below just after my original one, I don't have any issues any more once I decided to use Picasa.
    I gave Picasa a go, works perfectly. When I switched the Nexus on after I uploaded them I was amazed to seem them there as soon as I opened the gallery. There's a handy option to make a selected album or gallery available off line and the editing features are handy too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement