Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 7 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭stevek93

tvercetti wrote: »
    I liked the look of them but the delivery time put me off initally. Now I have something to protect it, I might order a Nillkin. How does it stay closed? Is it comfortable to use if you fold the cover flat over and not use the stand.

It doesn't stay closed unfortunately nothing a elastic ban can't fix :p but it is a solid case and fit comfortably when its folded over.

Lads if I buy an OTG cable can I use it straight away or does my Nexus need to be rooted? I want to do some heavy downloading and need more space than my 16gb n7 has. Never used it like that before so Gawd knows how long the battery will last during it. Any feedback appreciated guys! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Lads if I buy an OTG cable can I use it straight away or does my Nexus need to be rooted? I want to do some heavy downloading and need more space than my 16gb n7 has. Never used it like that before so Gawd knows how long the battery will last during it. Any feedback appreciated guys! :)

To use the OTG cable you do not need root (as in read from usb using Nexus Media Importer) BUT to use it the way I think you want (transfer files from N7 to usb) then I think you will need to root.

Now with all the recent updates to Jellybean, I'm not sure if my info is still valid but it was a few months back, maybe someone else will chime in.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 badboybubby

If you mean transferring files to and from your nexus via usb flash drives etc, then the easiest option is root and install "stickmount" from the play store.
    Like DrZeuss wrote,Nexus Media Importer will only let you transfer to the device, but not from it,as far as i know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Is there anyone using nova launcher able to view the home screen in landscape?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Anyone having problems with google search app?
    When I do a search and then click on link, I cannot return to the same search again. It wont even allow you to do the same search again.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Surinam

Hey does anyone know places in town that still have the 32gb in stock at €250? The only place I could find with them still available (currys and Argos) have put up the price to €260.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Anyone know where you can pick up the official dock for this? Was just reading about it here http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/google-nexus-7-dock-finally-docking-costs-25-50010140/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Anyone get their update yet? Plenty of reports of people getting it online

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

JohnK wrote: »
    Anyone know where you can pick up the official dock for this? Was just reading about it here http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/google-nexus-7-dock-finally-docking-costs-25-50010140/

Was hoping for one of these meself, battery life is cat, have to turn mine off between uses to get anything realistic out of it.

PogMoThoin wrote: »

Nothing for me yet on either my phone or tablet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

dahamsta wrote: »
    Was hoping for one of these meself, battery life is cat, have to turn mine off between uses to get anything realistic out of it.

I find mine ok, only thing that drains it majorly is watching movies on high brightness and using my ps3 pad through bluetooth if i'm playing games. I like that even on the lowest brightness its still useable, have it sat on my desk at work at the mo and its dimmed down as far as it can be and looks fine.

dahamsta wrote: »

I think that was only due to the last update they put out, prior to that I was hardly losing any battery while it idled overnight but now its down 25~30% between me putting it down at night and waking up in the morning. Hopefully the newest update will sort it out though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's only out for a certain build at the moment isn't it, or it was any when it first started being released.

Not much of an update anyway although it does extend the battery life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Update? What update is everyone talking about Im on 4.2.1 currently.

Battery life is fine on mine. Not sure what people are doing with theirs to kill it so quickly.

4.2.2 apparently extends battery life from 8 to 10 hours. There's also a change to the quick settings to toggle wi-fi, bluetooth and airplane mode on and off.

Didn't know there was a update, when was it pushed out?

We will probably get the update over the next week or two.

Is there a non OTA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

stevek93 wrote: »
    Is there a non OTA?

It's on xda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Just pushed to my tablet after reading this thread..

Irish purchase, a 16GB Nexus 7, the week of release, at Dixons, Jervis Street, Dublin.

It's on xda.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=37886898#post37886898

Didnt think the battery life could get any better on this. Finally died there lastnight after 7 days on the battery well granted I wasn't using that much but still 7 days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

Mine updated itself to 4.2.2 around nine o clock today, I was only just reading about it yesterday. I haven't noticed any difference yet. Hopefully they'll fix the WiFi issues soon.

did the try get 4.2.2 trick but still says is up to date, bah, although if there's issues maybe I'll hold off on it for a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I think that was for the last update, Ive not got 4.2.2 yet and I has this problem only two days ago. A full overnight charge sorts it out.

My nexus is updating, to force the update go to settings-->apps-->all-->google services framework-->force stop-->clear data, then go to settings-->about-->system update and do a check

Simply Settings, about, system updates, check for updates picked it up for me without needing to force it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

My nexus is updating, to force the update go to settings-->apps-->all-->google services framework-->force stop-->clear data, then go to settings-->about-->system update and do a check

Spot on!
    This worked for me :)

• Advertisement

Just updated despite the warning. Is it just me or does it seem snapper?

Had a look for the update in settings but it wasent there... Thanks the the force stopping idea it worked a treat!

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Mine just did it itself, no prompt from me needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Just updated despite the warning. Is it just me or does it seem snapper?

Ya I'm finding it snappier too. Haven't really noticed many other changes though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Ya I'm finding it snappier too. Haven't really noticed many other changes though.

battery life?

There's a Google Now widget

Feels like the lag from 4.2.1 is gone now. Benchmarks are about the same but it just feels faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

irishgeo wrote: »
    battery life?

Have it on charge at the minute so will see how it goes tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭robbe

No update for me yet but could do with some extended battery life.....takes about 4-5 hrs to charge using the supplied asus power lead and not via the PC from 30% even with the tablet turned off fully.....painfully slow to charge. I'm not sure that it took this long before but I can't be certain. Anyone else's take a long time to charge?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Got the update myself last night. No real changes to be seen.

Apart from skygo is there any other apps that don't work on 4.2.2?

will updating to 4.2.2 cause issues on a rooted device?

krudler wrote: »
    will updating to 4.2.2 cause issues on a rooted device?

No, but it will need rooting again after

No, but it will need rooting again after

Blah balls to that then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

krudler wrote: »
    Blah balls to that then

yeah, couldn't be arsed rooting it again :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

mine kept root after the update, but I have CWM recovery on mine.
    after the update finished and I went to reboot, it told me that root might be lost and it could prevent this, so I told it to prevent it and it did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Updated earlier, and now its after turning off, holding down power button wont turn it on and if i plug it into charger the screen starts flashing white static??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

yeah, couldn't be arsed rooting it again :mad:
    Voodoo OTA RootKeeper from the Play store worked for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Not a person

Android won`t automatically update itself will it?

Really don`t want this update since Sky Go won`t work with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Unlikely.

Previously you were asked if you wanted the upgrade to proceed.

Just Say No :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement