Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 7 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Updated earlier, and now its after turning off, holding down power button wont turn it on and if i plug it into charger the screen starts flashing white static??

This may help

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/02/11/nexus-7-issue-renders-tablet-useless-but-theres-a-fix/

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭ULMarc

I've had a problem like that. Just had to charge my nexus 7 like a mother fecker and reset it a couple of times before my screen would go to normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

New sounds and long press to change stuff from the pulldown bar is what ive found so far.

oh and much less lag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I opened up the back and pushed the battery wires in further and its working perfectly now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Vargulf

Hi

Im looking to buy an Nexus 7 as my iPod Touch is broken.

I was wondering how easy it was to load music onto the N7? Does it support AAC music files or will I have to convert them and what is the sound quality like?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Vargulf wrote: »
    Hi

Im looking to buy an Nexus 7 as my iPod Touch is broken.

I was wondering how easy it was to load music onto the N7? Does it support AAC music files or will I have to convert them and what is the sound quality like?

Thanks

The sound quality is fine, I have a pair of Sennheiser cx300 earphones and they sound good with it, I dont listen to music on it a whole lot, stuck a few albums on there just to have them, but have watched plenty of movies and they sound great. not sure about the AAC files though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

krudler wrote: »
    The sound quality is fine, I have a pair of Sennheiser cx300 earphones and they sound good with it, I dont listen to music on it a whole lot, stuck a few albums on there just to have them, but have watched plenty of movies and they sound great. not sure about the AAC files though
    I travel a lot on the train and i find the sound to be only average on it. It can be quite hard to hear sometimes through the earphones. Probably something to do with the download as well i suspect.

Wonder if anyone else has noticed this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I travel a lot on the train and i find the sound to be only average on it. It can be quite hard to hear sometimes through the earphones. Probably something to do with the download as well i suspect.

I've noticed. The sound is very average.

Although I read there is a way of improving it by installing Beats HD drivers or something if your device is rooted (mine is not)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I've noticed. The sound is very average.

Although I read there is a way of improving it by installing Beats HD drivers or something if your device is rooted (mine is not)
    I've fairly decent quality sennheiser earphones, so they are not the issue.

It's a bit of a nuisance, nothing major however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Lads. What would be the best app for books on nexus 7? And how good is nexus 7 to read books? I presume its better to turn the backlight a bit down?

I did downloaded Amazon kindled app. It did logged in with my account, but prices are in dollars. Do they actually sell to us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Lads. What would be the best app for books on nexus 7? And how good is nexus 7 to read books? I presume its better to turn the backlight a bit down?

I did downloaded Amazon kindled app. It did logged in with my account, but prices are in dollars. Do they actually sell to us?

I use Aldiko
    It was the first booking read app I tried and I'm happy with the features. It has night and day modes and also independent brightness settings.
    With regards how good the nexus 7 is for reading books I find it great, haven't actually read a real book since getting it actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭irishgeo

You have to use the US store for buying ebooks in ireland. Its actually works out cheaper sometimes due to the exchange rate.

the kindle app badly needs a night mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Sorry for no response lads.

I did tried out kindle and I did managed to buy a book. So I guess I will stick with it! I do put down backlight at night, but I have it up at day light. Works perfect and eyes domnt get too tired.

I got "The Habbit" book. 90 pages in two evenings lol. It was ages since I read a book. Surprisingly I have no issues reading it in English too.

Thanks again lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

I use Aldiko
    It was the first booking read app I tried and I'm happy with the features. It has night and day modes and also independent brightness settings.
    With regards how good the nexus 7 is for reading books I find it great, haven't actually read a real book since getting it actually

I find FBReader the best app for books by a country-mile!

Great selection of fonts

Infinitely variable font-size

Ability to set all margins to zero - giving you the equivalent of a paperback page of text for each page-turn

Ability to select and scale images

And many more features too numerous to list here!!

if you've rooted the device, (its worth it, takes all of 10 mins and fixes the crappy display issues too) you can install the Beats drivers on it: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.motioncoding.beats&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5tb3Rpb25jb2RpbmcuYmVhdHMiXQ..

It improves the sound immensely, on both movies and music.

I almost returned my nexus due to the display problems at first, rooting it solves them straight away though, that horrid washed out look is gone and the stupid auto contrast thing is too:

Dunno why they couldn't have just made this a simple on/off thing in the developer options but oh well, screw you asus and you display "fixing" I like my colours to look like what they're meant to thanks.

should i root or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

irishgeo wrote: »
    should i root or not?

I rooted my Nexus 7 for AdFree, Titanium Backup, StickMount and some other apps.

It depends on what you want to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

should i root or not?

I've rooted every Android device I've had, going back a long time. I've seen no need to root the Nexus 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Anyone get their update yet? Plenty of reports of people getting it online

Yeah I got my update the start of last week.

• Advertisement

It breaks sky go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭JAMM222

It breaks sky go

is there any way around this?

should i root or not?

root! better display, better sound, can use a ps3 pad over bluetooth with it, tis the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Anyone here going to try Ubuntu on their Nexus and let us all know how it is? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

JAMM222 wrote: »
    is there any way around this?

No. Either don't update or if you already have then you have to wait for Sky to update the app.

Topic here. It's not just a Nexus 7 issue it's an Android 4.2.2 issue
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83220897

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

shizz wrote: »
    Anyone here going to try Ubuntu on their Nexus and let us all know how it is? :)
    I have it installed using Multirom
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2011403
    It lets you keep stock installed along with Ubuntu and any other roms you want really.
    As for Ubuntu if your going to install it I recommend that you get a USB OTG cable and a powered USB hub to allow you to use a keyboard and mouse as for the rest of Ubuntu it can be slow at times but mostly it's fine.

• Advertisement

I have it installed using Multirom
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2011403
    It lets you keep stock installed along with Ubuntu and any other roms you want really.
    As for Ubuntu if your going to install it I recommend that you get a USB OTG cable and a powered USB hub to allow you to use a keyboard and mouse as for the rest of Ubuntu it can be slow at times but mostly it's fine.

I think you are talking about the desktop version of Ubuntu. I'm talking about the newly released developer preview of their tablet OS.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Looks nice!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

shizz wrote: »

I think you are talking about the desktop version of Ubuntu. I'm talking about the newly released developer preview of their tablet OS.

I assumed you were and I'm also assuming it can still be installed with multirom and I will be installing it when I get home from work this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Media Server is sucking the battery fast on my my Nexus 7. I am not sure what it is.

I have disabled Google Music and also disabled all the syncs as suggested by some sites. Still not much improvement.

Most of the time its first or second on the list of battery usage after screen.

I have even factory reset it once. There's absolutely no music on it. I only use if for light browsing and now and then playing a game or two.

Anyone any idea?

I assumed you were and I'm also assuming it can still be installed with multirom and I will be installing it when I get home from work this evening.

I don't think it supports that but I could be wrong. I can't imagine it would be much of a problem for the developers of multirom. Good Luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

For anyone interested in the official nexus 7 dock. I got one from the Asus.co.UK webshop
    Worked out at around €35 and I had to use parcel motel for delivery. Excellent accessory.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Looks like you got the last one. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Not a person

Any way of getting rid of the software update notification from the notifications bar?

I don`t want to update because update won`t work with Sky Go.

The notification is annoying. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

What ROMs are people on? I'm on smoothROM and since the update its far from it! Any recommendations?

Does anyone find the charging speed painfully slow? its not too bad connecting to the mains with the plug but via usb its horrible, have mine plugged in at the mo and its gone up 3% in just under an hour? nothing at all running or open and screen is off, its in its case not being used.

Does anyone find the charging speed painfully slow? its not too bad connecting to the mains with the plug but via usb its horrible, have mine plugged in at the mo and its gone up 3% in just under an hour? nothing at all running or open and screen is off, its in its case not being used.
    It's a 2Amp charger and usb doesn't support that so it's always going to be slow whenever you don't use the official charger.

It's a 2Amp charger and usb doesn't support that so it's always going to be slow whenever you don't use the official charger.

Ah I see, oh and for extra lulz my macbook doesn't charge it at all, something to do with apple products outputting a certain voltage that their devices work on but others don't. siiighh...

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭aka Dus

This is a question relating to my Nexus 7 but I guess is a general Android question too.

When I opt to 'share' from a given app or web browser etc, I am presented with a list of 18 apps that I can use to share whatever it is I am looking at. Can I add or adjust this list in any way?

eg I would like to share a video I am watching on YouTube via Viber, but I am not presented with the option of sharing using Viber.

I've Googled about a bit and all I can seem to find is developer talk about code that needs to be included in apps etc.

Is this something the user can control in an unrooted device?

Thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ah I see, oh and for extra lulz my macbook doesn't charge it at all, something to do with apple products outputting a certain voltage that their devices work on but others don't. siiighh...

Gotta love apple. Not following standards even there, nothing I hear ever makes me want to get something made by them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

do i need to root my device to use peripherals with an OTG cable?

• Advertisement

srumball wrote: »
    do i need to root my device to use peripherals with an OTG cable?

nope, works without rooting, you can connect ps3 and xbox pads to it, you might need to root it to connect an external usb device though I'm not sure, there's a media importer app in the play store

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

nope, works without rooting, you can connect ps3 and xbox pads to it, you might need to root it to connect an external usb device though I'm not sure, there's a media importer app in the play store

so can just download the sixaxis app and hook up the PS3 controller to OTG cable and set it up in app and away you go?

OTG works fine for me on tablets without rooting. I connect one to a switch and router in work all the time. So I'd say you are good to go hopefully!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

so can just download the sixaxis app and hook up the PS3 controller to OTG cable and set it up in app and away you go?

Yes or you can just use bluetooth

sure can, I dont even think you need the sixaxis app if you're using the cable, just for bluetooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭stevek93

Is anyone ones else device not charging after a full battery drain. When I plug in the charger it boots up shutdown down and a loud screech and fuzz appears on the screen? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

stevek93 wrote: »
    Is anyone ones else device not charging after a full battery drain. When I plug in the charger it boots up shutdown down and a loud screech and fuzz appears on the screen? :confused:

Leave it charging for a few hours.
    This happened to mine after the battery was empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

the Media Importer requires no root. It can be used on Stock Android and works very well to read external HDD or Flash using the OTG cable.

Perfect travel companion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Sky Go updated. Now works with 4.2.2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Anybody know how to get onlive on a stock N7 here

Advertisement