Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 7 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭stevek93

rhonin wrote: »
    Leave it charging for a few hours.
    This happened to mine after the battery was empty.

I would but the loud screech and fuzzy screen is a bit worrying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

stevek93 wrote: »
    I would but the loud screech and fuzzy screen is a bit worrying.

It happened to me once. It is fixable easily enough. The problem you're having is that the battery is so drained that the tablet is going into auto shutdown before it gets a chance to detect the charger. What I did was plug in the charger and quickly power off the tablet using the power button. You'll need to time it right and it might take a few goes but you'll get it eventually. Leave it charging in a powered off state.

You've over discharged the battery, can happen if youre doing something CPU intensive like playing games on a low battery.

An alternative method is to interrupt it in the middle of its reboot cycle and put it into cold boot mode with Power + Volume Down and select "Power Off."  Then plug it in without it attempting to reboot.  

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Quick question - is the Nexus 7 the best Android tablet for the foreseeable future, or would it be wise to hold off for a while?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

Cianos wrote: »
    Quick question - is the Nexus 7 the best Android tablet for the foreseeable future, or would it be wise to hold off for a while?
    Nexus 10 will be coming to Ireland sometime this year and it's very good. The Xperia z tablet looks quite nice as well. But it depends on what kind of tablet you want. I wanted a very portable tablet for internet and movies and the nexus 7 ticked all the boxes for me.

calnand wrote: »
    Nexus 10 will be coming to Ireland sometime this year and it's very good. The Xperia z tablet looks quite nice as well. But it depends on what kind of tablet you want. I wanted a very portable tablet for internet and movies and the nexus 7 ticked all the boxes for me.

Nexus 10 is just the bigger version of the 7 right? I prefer the more compact version myself, I prefer the portability.

Would prefer to not have to wait more than a month or two as I need it for business, so unless something is coming within that amount of time I'll probably go for the 7.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

For the price absolutely, plus unlike other manufacturers being as this is Google it will get all future software updates before the rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Anyone else's screen gone a bit dodgy since the update? Mine is messing about with the touch screen, misplacing where I'm actually touching and sometimes not responding at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

What are the alternatives to the Google Play store??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

srumball wrote: »
    What are the alternatives to the Google Play store??
    Amazon and getjar the ones I've used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Would you guys recommend changing from an iPad to a Nexus 7? I have an iPad 1 32GB 3G. I picked it up for €250 a few months. To be honest, it never gets used and since it's an older model, Apple's updates have crippled it and slowed it right down.

I've never owned an Android device before but I'm intrigued by the openness. The price seems brilliant too.

Could I make it look and function like the video below?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJhVzHcw_eY

I'd love to hear some thoughts and opinions from people that have made the switch from Apple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 ESB

Does anyone know when the Nexus 7 pre loaded with Jelly Bean 4.2 is likely to be on sale in Ireland. Is it worth waiting for this before buying one ? I understand that there have been problems updating from 4.1 to 4.2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

ESB wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the Nexus 7 pre loaded with Jelly Bean 4.2 is likely to be on sale in Ireland. Is it worth waiting for this before buying one ? I understand that there have been problems updating from 4.1 to 4.2.

Had no problems with mine. Don't notice too much difference between 4.1 or 4.2, few little twigs here and there but nothing worth putting off buying now tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

bidiots wrote: »

Had no problems with mine. Don't notice too much difference between 4.1 or 4.2, few little twigs here and there but nothing worth putting off buying now tbh.
    Same here we have 2 and had no issue updating to 4.2 besides 5.0 due later in the year

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I think you need to forget the hotspot network on the nexus first... then recreate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

There is no issues loading stock Nexus 7 to 4.2 OTA.

Mine is perfect. I wouldnt be concerned about buying one its fine with updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭iba

Apologies if this has been asked before but does Viber work on anyones Nexus 7 and if so how can I get Viber to work - keep getting 'not compatable' when trying to download from playstore

iba wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been asked before but does Viber work on anyones Nexus 7 and if so how can I get Viber to work - keep getting 'not compatable' when trying to download from playstore

I dont believe it does as they require an IMEI to operate. Ive tried getting whats app to operate for my GF but it just didnt pan out for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1844131

1. Download it

2. Open it with ES File Explorer
    And now the problem comes : You cannot use your viber account on your phone and oon your N7 / tablet , so you will have to send the validation code ( or something like that ) to another phone number ( *YOUR CHOICE* )

3.Run it

Send the validation code to another phone, one that you dont use...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

8hp7kfI.jpg

My N7 did an OTA update to 4.2.2 with no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ESB

Thanks for the information. Hadn't heard of 5 on the way. I think I will buy the 4.1 and upgrade later.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the information. Hadn't heard of 5 on the way. I think I will buy the 4.1 and upgrade later.

It will upgrade itself just press yes to the notification. Im not sure why you are worried. Its perfectly fine stock upgrade from google.

Hi guys, picked up a second hand Nexus via Adverts. Very happy with it, except it seems to be having WiFi issues. It's not forming a solid connection at all for me. Any ideas would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Hi guys, picked up a second hand Nexus via Adverts. Very happy with it, except it seems to be having WiFi issues. It's not forming a solid connection at all for me. Any ideas would be great.

Have you uprated it to 4.2.2? also have you looked in the wifi settings? I have mine set to stay connected during sleep and it never disconnects.

god's toy wrote: »
    Have you uprated it to 4.2.2? also have you looked in the wifi settings? I have mine set to stay connected during sleep and it never disconnects.

I'm on 4.2.2 yeah. I tried another wifi network and it seems to be working, so maybe it's something to do with the home network? Other devices work fine on it though so I'm not sure what's up with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Q&A

iba wrote: »

If you have a rooted android phone and a rooted N7 you can use titanium back-up to make a copy of viber and install it via titanium back up on the N7.. so you have the same viber account on both.. worked for me and I did likewise for Whats app

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭celticsfan

I'm on 4.2.2 yeah. I tried another wifi network and it seems to be working, so maybe it's something to do with the home network? Other devices work fine on it though so I'm not sure what's up with that.

Download wifi analyzer from the play store,and then switch your router to a channel with less traffic,done the job for me the other day when mine was slow..

Can anyone recommend a hdmi mhl cable to connect the nexus 7 to the tv?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Can anyone recommend a hdmi mhl cable to connect the nexus 7 to the tv?

Not supported on nexus 7. You'll need nexus 10 if you want to connect to tv.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Hi does anyone know where in Dublin they fix screens,I dropped the daughters Nexus and it's not working touch wise on bottom and screens cracked on corner!

Not supported on nexus 7. You'll need nexus 10 if you want to connect to tv.
    That's very annoying, you'd think by now they'd have it sorted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭irishgeo

ok i use my nexus 7 alot in bed to cathc up on shows,

the cover i have is crap as it stand up the way i want it, the back is broken on it. its this case listed here i have,http://www.amazon.co.uk/Retail-Executive-Function-Standby-feature/dp/B008GSMRAY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1363210612&sr=8-4

Any ideas for a good one that has a sturdy stand on it , so i can use it in bed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

irishgeo wrote: »

the cover i have is crap as it stand up the way i want it, the back is broken on it. its this case listed here i have,http://www.amazon.co.uk/Retail-Executive-Function-Standby-feature/dp/B008GSMRAY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1363210612&sr=8-4

Any ideas for a good one that has a sturdy stand on it , so i can use it in bed?
    Have a similar one and it doesn't stand up on the bed. I get around it by bending my legs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

The Poetic one mention earlier in the thread has a very good stand system (Find it on Amazon). It's only to 45 degrees though so if you wanted it to stand more upright then it wouldnt be much use to you

irishgeo wrote: »

I have this case

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Google-Slim-Fit-Multi-Angle-Automatic-Function/dp/B008Q7DDIA

And i cant recommend it highly enough. Price point, quality of product, sturdyness. It has multiple viewing angles and also a hand strap at the rear if you use your nexus like a kindle for reading.

Definitely worth it.

• Advertisement

Found this by accident MX camera app free comes with 720p video settting and more options such as frames and images effects ,you also get a second instant photo app too that auto snaps instantly when opened

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Can the 7 shoot 720p? I wouldn't have thought so.

There's a general apps thread in the main forum.

dahamsta wrote: »

Yeah it can shoot 720p just that Google never activated the option to use it ,from my own experience it definitely increase's the quality of the videos ,other options are either root it or use a paid app where MX is free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jonski

I trying to remember from when these first came out but I am old and that was 9 months ago but there was talk that the camera was capable of 720p but the software wasn't ............. or something like that .

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭KoukiKeith

Anyone know if it's possible to connect an internet dongle via OTG cable on Nexus 7?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Anyone had to have theirs repaired?

My one has gone haywire, phantom screen presses, scrolling without my controlling it....... it's gotten progresively worse too.

It should still be under warranty, but Asus don't answer the phone. I sent them an email and the reply was "Is it in a protective cover? If so, take it off".

Not exactly the answer I was looking for. Do you know if Asus are straight forward enough to just fix it for me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

MrStuffins wrote: »

My one has gone haywire, phantom screen presses, scrolling without my controlling it....... it's gotten progresively worse too.

It should still be under warranty, but Asus don't answer the phone. I sent them an email and the reply was "Is it in a protective cover? If so, take it off".

Not exactly the answer I was looking for. Do you know if Asus are straight forward enough to just fix it for me?

Full reset? Or take it back to where you bought it if that's not successful I would think.

MrStuffins wrote: »

Some covers can be too thick and impact how the touchscreen was initially designed in terms of experience. Personally i hate them so mines gone. I have a savage leather cover for it.

I would also factory reset it. I dont thing it needs repair tbh. It sounds like a factory reset will get you back online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

gcgirl wrote: »
    Hi does anyone know where in Dublin they fix screens,I dropped the daughters Nexus and it's not working touch wise on bottom and screens cracked on corner!

Sorry, of no use to you but I also need to get my screen fixed if possible. Does anyone know anywhere the nexus 7 screen can be fixed?

listermint wrote: »

I have this case

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Google-Slim-Fit-Multi-Angle-Automatic-Function/dp/B008Q7DDIA

And i cant recommend it highly enough. Price point, quality of product, sturdyness. It has multiple viewing angles and also a hand strap at the rear if you use your nexus like a kindle for reading.

Definitely worth it.

Took delivery of one of these cases yesterday. Totally excellent. I can even charge the tablet in the Nexus Dock without fully taking it out of the case.
    Thanks OP for the recommendation

moz wrote: »
    Took delivery of one of these cases yesterday. Totally excellent. I can even charge the tablet in the Nexus Dock without fully taking it out of the case.

Wasnt sure if it would charge in the dock as i dont have one. How much the dock set you back ?

listermint wrote: »

Wasnt sure if it would charge in the dock as i dont have one. How much the dock set you back ?

Around €35 delivered from the Asus uk web store. Works a treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

moz wrote: »

+1 love this case

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The dock looks useful but €35 is silly money for a charger. Anywhere doing it cheaper?

The dock looks useful but €35 is silly money for a charger. Anywhere doing it cheaper?

There are plenty of alternatives on Amazon or ebay but all that I have seen use the micro usb port for charging and require the tablet to be inserted upright.
    I personally think the official dock is well worth it. I can just place my Nexus in it at it charges. No lining up micro usb connectors and no wear and tear on the usb port. Just drop it in and it charges.
    Also I can use an OTG cable in the micro usb port while it is charging in the dock.

• Advertisement
Advertisement