Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 7 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

listermint wrote: »

Some covers can be too thick and impact how the touchscreen was initially designed in terms of experience. Personally i hate them so mines gone. I have a savage leather cover for it.

I would also factory reset it. I dont thing it needs repair tbh. It sounds like a factory reset will get you back online.

I already tried a reset, no dice.

I should've explained that I sent a pretty detailed email telling them everything I had done to try solve the problem, including doing a full reset. And the best they could do is ask me to remove the cover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

moz wrote: »
    There are plenty of alternatives on Amazon or ebay but all that I have seen use the micro usb port for charging and require the tablet to be inserted upright.
    I personally think the official dock is well worth it. I can just place my Nexus in it at it charges. No lining up micro usb connectors and no wear and tear on the usb port. Just drop it in and it charges.
    Also I can use an OTG cable in the micro usb port while it is charging in the dock.

Is this the one you have?
    http://shop.asus.co.uk/shop/gb/en-GB/Home/1-Products/1500-ASUS-Collection/1936-Tablet-Accessories/2278-Nexus-7-Accessories/90-XB3XOKDS00020-Nexus-7-Docking-Station.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Not Easy

Whatsapp no longer working.{notified that version is too old and that I should upgrade (new version not compatible)}. (I'm not rooted...had installed an old version of whatsapp..can't remember how but it involved some trickery)

Anyone else with this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

Anyone know where I'd get a 2 amp charger for my Nexus 7, I lost the original and its a pain charging it with anything else, it takes for ever or worse doesn't charge at all for a few days. I haven't had it up to 100% for a couple of months. I have tried using an iPad charger...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

ROS123 wrote: »
    Anyone know where I'd get a 2 amp charger for my Nexus 7, I lost the original and its a pain charging it with anything else, it takes for ever or worse doesn't charge at all for a few days. I haven't had it up to 100% for a couple of months. I have tried using an iPad charger...

An odd question but have you tried changing the USB cable your connecting to it?
    I have found some cables just do a better job than others charging even on the same charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

God'd toy, yes I have and found a small improvement. I am so confused now that I try all sort of combinations of chargers and cables. I have it in work with me today and trying a whole different combination of chargers and cables as well. I ma currenty using a very short Nokia phone micro usb charger and my Desktop PC. After 4 hours I have gone from zero to a massive 6%....

ROS123 wrote: »
    God'd toy, yes I have and found a small improvement. I am so confused now that I try all sort of combinations of chargers and cables. I have it in work with me today and trying a whole different combination of chargers and cables as well. I ma currenty using a very short Nokia phone micro usb charger and my Desktop PC. After 4 hours I have gone from zero to a massive 6%....

Hmm ok, thats very slow indeed. are you up to date with jb 4.2.2?

well this may not be the official one but at 2A output (same as official) it will charge it faster than anything your using right now.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Charger-Tablets-Androids-Blackberry/dp/B008DDG6DQ/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1365802127&sr=8-16&keywords=usb+tablet+charger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Hey guys, I just got the Nexus 7 and I am wondering if people can point me to the best way to unlock the bootloader and install CWM recovery. I have done this many times before on my Samsung Galaxy S so I am familiar with the processes involved, just looking for an approved guide to follow that someone else has used etc.

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

shizz wrote: »
    Hey guys, I just got the Nexus 7 and I am wondering if people can point me to the best way to unlock the bootloader and install CWM recovery. I have done this many times before on my Samsung Galaxy S so I am familiar with the processes involved, just looking for an approved guide to follow that someone else has used etc.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Mate Congrats on getting the nexus, I'd recommend downloading this app and have a read of the thread, the app does all the work for you.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1809195

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

apope8 wrote: »
    Hi Mate Congrats on getting the nexus, I'd recommend downloading this app and have a read of the thread, the app does all the work for you.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1809195

Thanks for the link. I actually eventually used the a different tool kit, but it's seemed to have done all the work. Except I haven't got CWM or another type of recovery on it. The tool kit seems to keep it off it so that you need to use your computer to do anything with it. I think it gives you the option to put the recovery on to it but seems to advise against it.

Any reason for that or is the developer just trying to make it as "noob" friendly as possible.

This is the one I went for: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1766475

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

shizz wrote: »
    Thanks for the link. I actually eventually used the a different tool kit, but it's seemed to have done all the work. Except I haven't got CWM or another type of recovery on it. The tool kit seems to keep it off it so that you need to use your computer to do anything with it. I think it gives you the option to put the recovery on to it but seems to advise against it.

Any reason for that or is the developer just trying to make it as "noob" friendly as possible.

This is the one I went for: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1766475

This is CWM official app, Rom Manager

As far as I remember it installs CWM for you as long as you are rooted. I would take a nandroid before flashing tho, dont want ya blaming me if anything goes wrong :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jonathan71

Guys I just bought a nexus 7 I'm delighted but can someone tell me .
    Is there an APP that allow me to streams movies and TV shows to my Xbox 360.
    Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

jonathan71 wrote: »
    Guys I just bought a nexus 7 I'm delighted but can someone tell me .
    Is there an APP that allow me to streams movies and TV shows to my Xbox 360.
    Cheers

Well, you can use sky go, Netflix, 4od player on the xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jonathan71

Well, you can use sky go, Netflix, 4od player on the xbox.

Sorry what I meant was
    My brother has as nexus 7 as and he can watch a DVD from his nexus 7 via his TV on this app he got

Like if I download a movie , on my nexus can I watch it on my TV through the x box
    Is there an app for this cheers lad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Might sound very obvious but why don't you ask your brother???

Sorry what I meant was
    My brother has as nexus 7 as and he can watch a DVD from his nexus 7 via his TV on this app he got

Like if I download a movie , on my nexus can I watch it on my TV through the x box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Sorry what I meant was

It might be Twonky mobile or Twonky beam!
    Both of those have the functionality you describe!

Play Store Twonky

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭beamer-89

I've recently started getting a yellow spot on the screen of my Nexus 7 in the bottom right hand corner after about 35 min of use.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Is this a sign or more issues to come with the screen that can be easily fixed or I better off just bring in back to the shop I bought it in and looking for them to fix/replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

beamer-89 wrote: »
    I've recently started getting a yellow spot on the screen of my Nexus 7 in the bottom right hand corner after about 35 min of use.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Is this a sign or more issues to come with the screen that can be easily fixed or I better off just bring in back to the shop I bought it in and looking for them to fix/replace it.

Do you start to eat a trifle just before you browse your Nexus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Carmageddon free today on play store

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Nexus 7 got bricked, was about to bring it back to shop, wouldn't boot past the x logo. Found thislink and it worked, bit convoluted, but nexus is back alive.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I was having serious lag on my Nexus 7 for the last week. I wasnt sure whether it was a rogue app or not but Chrome and Chrome beta were having major performance issues. Chrome beta was working fine on N4 and N10 so I didnt think it was Chrome Beta.

A quick google this morning showed me I wasnt the only person with similar issues. Seems there is some glitch with how
    the device identifies/tags free space which slows down write speed.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/164106/why-is-my-nexus-7-so-slow-8-ways-to-speed-it-up-again/
    Due to a bug with the driver for the Nexus 7′s internal Samsung NAND storage, Android on the Nexus 7 was not properly issuing TRIM commands to clear unused sectors. This caused write speeds to slow down dramatically. This was fixed in Android 4.1.2, and Android should now properly be issuing TRIM commands to the internal storage.

However, this update does nothing to fix existing sectors that should have been TRIMMed in the past, but were not. To do this yourself, you can try the LagFix app from Google Play (it requires root). This app is a frontend to the fstrim utility, and it will TRIM your empty storage, fixing this problem.

I deleted some large files so I had 4GB free and then installed and ran Forever Gone. Forever Gone will help resolve the issue as it's write/delete process will correctly tag the sectors and improve write speeds. No need for root with it and will do the same as LagFix.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kovit.p.forevergone
    It's a small app and it took about 45 mins to run. So far performance is much improved and no lags when browsing.

Nice one Big Brother :)

I'd been wondering why Chrome was so damn slow on my N7 for the last few weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

So is it a chrome only problem?
    Both my N7 and N4 have had huge lag in the last week or so. Mainly noticed during browsing where its slow to respond to scrolling and also the keyboard can take a couple of seconds to appear when I go to type.
    Its actually more noticable on the N4 than the N7. It actually looks like it is chrome thats the problem and not anything to do with storage on the device.

I'll give your fix a shot anyway and see how I get on as its driving me mad.

It seems pretty common on the N7 but I haven't read anything about it on the N10 nor have I experienced it on my N10. It seems to be related to a driver issue from the update before last not tagging free space correctly. Latest version of android has fixed the driver but does not fix the 'tag' on sectors from when they were incorrectly tagged

I know I had the n7 running the the version of android with the bad server much longer.
    The good news is after running the fix and using the N7 for 24 hours I'm finding it much better. I was going to do a factory reset last weekend but no need now - in hindsight it probably would have made no difference.

Let us know how you get on

Driver bug was fixed in 4.1.2 which predates the N4 and N10 release and ties in with my experience of N10 and N4 running fine.

It only affects the driver in android for the particular hardware in N7.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭aka Dus

There must surely be a system update due?

Did the trick for my nexus 7 away, it almost feel brand new now with no factory settings or formatting to deal with.

Surprised how the N4 has not slowed down at all but suppose post above explains it all.

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Does anybody know where I can buy an official Nexus 7 charger from?
    I lost the original one. I'm currently using my Nexus 4 charger but it takes longer to charge the Nexus 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

I was having serious lag on my Nexus 7 for the last week. I wasnt sure whether it was a rogue app or not but Chrome and Chrome beta were having major performance issues. Chrome beta was working fine on N4 and N10 so I didnt think it was Chrome Beta.

A quick google this morning showed me I wasnt the only person with similar issues. Seems there is some glitch with how
    the device identifies/tags free space which slows down write speed.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/164106/why-is-my-nexus-7-so-slow-8-ways-to-speed-it-up-again/

I deleted some large files so I had 4GB free and then installed and ran Forever Gone. Forever Gone will help resolve the issue as it's write/delete process will correctly tag the sectors and improve write speeds. No need for root with it and will do the same as LagFix.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kovit.p.forevergone
    It's a small app and it took about 45 mins to run. So far performance is much improved and no lags when browsing.

I've been having serious trouble with my Galaxy S3 ( I know this is a Nexus 7 thread, but I have a Nexus too ) If I exit to homescreen it takes a few seconds to load the app icons. I'll give this a go and see what happens - might be that I have an external 64Gb microSD that's almost full!

• Advertisement

Hi everyone.

I would like a keyboard with which I could turn my N7 into a mini laptop for when I am travelling and want to do some work.

What's considered the best solution? Can be fixed physically or bluetooth. Don't want to spend a fortune but would like it to look well given I will use it a lot in public places. Vanity....

Thanks for the tips in advance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭mightybashful

aka Dus wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

I would like a keyboard with which I could turn my N7 into a mini laptop for when I am travelling and want to do some work.

What's considered the best solution? Can be fixed physically or bluetooth. Don't want to spend a fortune but would like it to look well given I will use it a lot in public places. Vanity....

Thanks for the tips in advance!

Have a look at eBay. I seen a lot of these when I was getting my cover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭Peckham

I have a keyboard, similar enough to the one posted above. It's handy enough, but with very small keys it's very difficult to get any significant work done. I can only use two fingers when typing on it, and my fingers aren't particularly large! I use it on the train occasionally, but the most I use it for is typing short emails. Writing a document or anything would be very slow.

Ibood deal of the day is a 32gb nexus 7 for 219.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

god's toy wrote: »
    Ibood deal of the day is a 32gb nexus 7 for 219.

Is that a good price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Its about 250 in the likes of PcWorld but will be dropping in price over the next month once the new model is announced

Thanks for the feedback, bought the Koolertron one (cingey brand name but hopefully will do the job!)

mine is up for sale now, want to get a good price for it before the new one launches and get the new model!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭irishgeo

anyone get 4.3 yet on the old nexus 7 v1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

just to confirm, if I am rooted the only way to receive this update is to flash new rom 4.3 with total wipe??
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭doctorg

iwo wrote: »
    just to confirm, if I am rooted the only way to receive this update is to flash new rom 4.3 with total wipe??
    thanks

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭doctorg

Got 4.3 Running my N4 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

So who is planning on getting the new Nexus 7 and what feature do you think will make the biggest difference compared with the original?

Will it be the 1920 x 1200 resolution or the faster cpu, the change in size or will it be something else entirely?

• Advertisement

cdb wrote: »
    So who is planning on getting the new Nexus 7 and what feature do you think will make the biggest difference compared with the original?

Will it be the 1920 x 1200 resolution or the faster cpu, the change in size or will it be something else entirely?

I'm thinking of getting one alright.

I'm not being funny, but it's not one single thing that'd make me get it, but the fact that almost everything is better than the previous model.
    If it was just a better camera or a better processor, I wouldn't bother, but it's an overall upgrade on last years tech, so I can feel justified throwing away my money :D

I'm in the UK for the weekend of Aug 16th. I'm hoping it'll be released by then :)

Improved screen and the extra RAM should make it a very sexy device.
    Just looked at a comparison between this and the ipad mini..... Apple should be ashamed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Anyone get a price from Flubit for a new gen nexus 7?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

The current version is hardly a slouch and the screen is excellent but the specs and improvements for the new N7, on paper at least, look really really impressive. I think you're right and it will be the combination of changes rather than any one thing in particular that will make the biggest impression but that said it will still be interesting to see which feature is the standout one over the original.

Its quite incredible when you consider everything this device is capable of given its size, and especially so considering its price. The rrp in the states is $229 - around €178. Granted we'll won't get the Dollar/Euro equivalent but not matter, I reckon its going to be a huge hit again and I'll be getting one as soon as... Its like the future has arrived a bit early :D

The current version is hardly a slouch and the screen is excellent but the specs and improvements for the new N7, on paper at least, look really really impressive. I think you're right and it will be the combination of changes rather than any one thing in particular that will make the biggest impression but that said it will still be interesting to see which feature is the standout one over the original.

Its quite incredible when you consider everything this device is capable of given its size, and especially so considering its price. The rrp in the states is $229 - around €178. Granted we'll won't get the Dollar/Euro equivalent but not matter, I reckon its going to be a huge hit again and I'll be getting one as soon as... Its like the future has arrived a bit early :D

I just hope it's easy to get. If I have to jump through hoops just to get it like the n10 then I just won't bother.

• Advertisement
Advertisement