Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 7 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

I was just wondering if I should buy the nexus 7 as it is in my local Tesco for €150 16GB model. Or should I wait for the Nexus 7 (2013). How much will the new model be roughly, so I can gage whether or not to purchase the older model.

I would suggest to stay away from 16gb in general. Not enough space!
    I'm selling my 32gb for similar price so you should be able to get 32gb easily as people sell old version to get new one. Google for prices, it will be 1:1 with usa prices...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Will I ever be able to update my nexus 7 and still keep the root?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

Snowc wrote: »
    Will I ever be able to update my nexus 7 and still keep the root?

You will not be able to upgrade with root (ota) . You can side load new update but it is tricky and you need developer android tool - available from google. Step by step tutorial below:
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/07/26/how-to-update-your-2012-nexus-7-to-android-4-3-jwr66v-and-root-it-right-now/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

No need to use adb to sideload it.
    Just put it the ota update file and the latest super su file directly onto your sd card.
    Reboot into your recovery.
    Flash ota update.
    Flash super su.
    Reboot :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Has anybody had issues with charging lately ,
    As in a trickle charge battery usuage is saying 17 hrs to full charge tried a couple of resets its still on trickle charging ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Gatling wrote: »
    As in a trickle charge battery usuage is saying 17 hrs to full charge tried a couple of resets its still on trickle charging ,

Are you using the official charger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭irishgeo

ran the memory wipe fix and its flying again. now to wait for 4.3 , cant be bothered with the services framewrok.

Are you using the official charger?

Yes using the official boxed charger ,
    Its really odd charging 3 hrs and still less than 20% battery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Mine updated last night...not trolling or anything but am I supposed to notice anything different ?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Mine updated last night...not trolling or anything but am I supposed to notice anything different ?

Not in general use its only a minor update, it should be smoother, includes security and bug fixes and you should now have restricted profiles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Mine is very slow to charge - no faster than 7-10 hours for a full charge. Can't honestly say how long it's been like that, though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Mark.87

AnandTech reports that Android 4.3 should fix some problems with flash memory that lead to the original Nexus 7 getting slow after time.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/7185/android-43-update-brings-trim-to-all-nexus-devices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Mark.87 wrote: »
    AnandTech reports that Android 4.3 should fix some problems with flash memory that lead to the original Nexus 7 getting slow after time.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/7185/android-43-update-brings-trim-to-all-nexus-devices

It definetly has

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

hmm, mine tried to update last night but failed trying to unpack the update I think.

Anyway for me to upgrade other than OTA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

kaimera wrote: »
    hmm, mine tried to update last night but failed trying to unpack the update I think.

Anyway for me to upgrade other than OTA?

Is your device full by any chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

cdb wrote: »
    Is your device full by any chance.

Yeah if there isnt enough space it wont work properly. You can sideload it, if you look back through the thread I put up links and How to.

No have enough space.

Tried to sideload but get an "update binary" error in the zip I downloaded. ffs.

Now the OTA check tells me my system is up to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

My update has downloaded, don't want to install it and lose root yet though.Will miss my ad blocker too much and I think root options are limited at the minute.

Edit: was all set, changed my mind, was going to install download but then remembered that the stickmount app needs root. It's there any other way of getting files to and from a usb drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

My update has downloaded, don't want to install it and lose root yet though.Will miss my ad blocker too much and I think root options are limited at the minute.

Edit: was all set, changed my mind, was going to install download but then remembered that the stickmount app needs root. It's there any other way of getting files to and from a usb drive?

Nexus Media Importer - in the play store

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

PapaQuebec wrote: »
    Nexus Media Importer - in the play store

Thanks, will have a look

Has anyone on 4.3 used this, app developer says there may be issues with some nexus devices on 4.3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

juke wrote: »
    Mine is very slow to charge - no faster than 7-10 hours for a full charge. Can't honestly say how long it's been like that, though

Mine charges relatively well on the mains but on usb its painfully slow lately, same cable, maybe I'm just noticing it more or something been playing a lot more games on it, GTA Vice City eats the battery, so does Jurassic Park Builder.

krudler wrote: »
    Mine charges relatively well on the mains but on usb its painfully slow lately, same cable, maybe I'm just noticing it more or something been playing a lot more games on it, GTA Vice City eats the battery, so does Jurassic Park Builder.

:eek:

*goes to play store*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

krudler wrote: »

There is more current being drawn on mains than on usb.

marcbrophy wrote: »
    :eek:

*goes to play store*

It's Theme Park, with dinosaurs. It's addictive though be warned :pac:
    There is more current being drawn on mains than on usb.

Oh yeah I know it always charges faster on the mains, but it wasn't as slow as it seems to be now purely on usb, maybe I'm imagining it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Charging mine on USB has always been extremely slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Coming back to you on this. You said you are using the asus charger - are you using the asus lead too? I wasn't, because the lead is so short. I changed back today - charge time has easily halved.

juke wrote: »
    Coming back to you on this. You said you are using the asus charger - are you using the asus lead too? I wasn't, because the lead is so short. I changed back today - charge time has easily halved.

Yeah using the lead and charger but I did notice the lead feels loose now compared to a few weeks ago I've switched to a spare lead off a phone which has improved the charging by a good bit ,

Sending off for an official dock next week so hopefully that will sort it once and for all

I was watching a 720p movie on my Nexus 7 last night and I found it very jumpy. Started up the same video on my Galaxy Note 2 and it played perfect. So it got me thinking maybe the GPU is not very good in Nexus 7.

So just for the sake of it I said I would play the movie through XBMC and it played perfectly. Pretty good app. But the onscreen menu's stayed on screen so in the end I download full!screen, to get rid of the menu buttons. So now I just run full!screen when running XBMC and disable it when not as it isn't great at the multi-tasking butons as the default menu buttons are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

My nexus has gotten slow to the point of being almost useless. It's on 4.3, ran that cleaner mentioned a few pages back which worked for a while but it's back to its old ways.

It's a 16gb I bought in UK last October.

I also have a persistent problem where the Google apps won't update.

Any ideas before I throw it against the wall?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

My nexus has gotten slow to the point of being almost useless. It's on 4.3, ran that cleaner mentioned a few pages back which worked for a while but it's back to its old ways.

It's a 16gb I bought in UK last October.

I also have a persistent problem where the Google apps won't update.

Any ideas before I throw it against the wall?

Factory reset?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

god's toy wrote: »
    Factory reset?

Last resort, I've done it in the past and it made no difference though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Sounds like a roge app is going to town on your device. I would reset, let the Trim support in 4.3 mark and clean the storage over night, and as that helps response times (it auto starts when on charge and seep) and then reload apps slowly until I found the bugger.

If your still getting slowdown without apps then I'd say it's hardware problem.

ok, finally got updated to 4.3, had to go about it the manual way and fastboot (bootloader, boot and system)

1) I can't drag down the notification bar for my settings options like before - top right corner

2) power toggles doesn't work even after a reinstall of the app - worked flawlessly on 4.2.2

oh and the home button no longer works.

fine update.

ok, finally got updated to 4.3, had to go about it the manual way and fastboot (bootloader, boot and system)

1) I can't drag down the notification bar for my settings options like before - top right corner

2) power toggles doesn't work even after a reinstall of the app - worked flawlessly on 4.2.2

I recommend re-flashing the factory image. Cause something obvisously went wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

oh and the home button no longer works.

fine update.

Reboot solves that if its a custom ROM you installed....

I was watching a 720p movie on my Nexus 7 last night and I found it very jumpy. Started up the same video on my Galaxy Note 2 and it played perfect. So it got me thinking maybe the GPU is not very good in Nexus 7.

So just for the sake of it I said I would play the movie through XBMC and it played perfectly. Pretty good app. But the onscreen menu's stayed on screen so in the end I download full!screen, to get rid of the menu buttons. So now I just run full!screen when running XBMC and disable it when not as it isn't great at the multi-tasking butons as the default menu buttons are.

What player are you using on the nexus? if its the stock one it's not great, download MX Player its much better, you can switch between codecs on the fly have had a few files play laggy on the HW codec but you can just change it to SW and it should work fine, depends on how the file is encoded I think.

I recommend re-flashing the factory image. Cause something obvisously went wrong.

Don't want to lose my data so factory img isn't really an option.

OTA update kept failing which is why I had to manually update.
    Fieldog wrote: »
    Reboot solves that if its a custom ROM you installed....

Stock rom

I have mine rooted so havent updated to 4.3 yet, I have titanium backup on it so once I back up everything is it on the device after the update or do I need to connect it to a pc and move everything over? never really delved much into the whole custom ROM side of it tbh just running apex launcher instead of the stock homescreen stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.grilledmonkey.lagfix&hl=en

It slows over time alright, mainly due to how java garbage collection works and cheap flash memory modules. Use the above app to sort out the lag issues. It reassign's unused space and speeds up the device. Android 4.3 has this function built in by default AFAIK, but it might not work automatically when upgrading from 4.1/4.2 etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Will this work with the new nexus 7?

Don't think so. Hence the sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭droidman123

Will this work with the new nexus 7?

It definitly wont work with the new nexus 7.the new one is slightly longer and i,m not even sure it has pogo pins.

Has anyone else gotten a small sys update recently? ~2mb i think.

I had issues updating OTA to 4.3 and had to do a full wipe and install a clean img.

Now with this update I'm getting the same error with the OTA update with TWR - something about a file being missing iirc, same error as before.

rooted on stock 4.3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭droidman123

Has anyone else gotten a small sys update recently? ~2mb i think.

I had issues updating OTA to 4.3 and had to do a full wipe and install a clean img.

Now with this update I'm getting the same error with the OTA update with TWR - something about a file being missing iirc, same error as before.

rooted on stock 4.3
    Yes there was a recent 1.7 mb update

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bobmyster

I've had that too, got the same error, do you know what is in the update?
    What's the best way to install the update without a wipe?

I get an error installinbg that update as well. I think it is because I am rooted. :(

Super SU was recently updated and Chainfire stated that there should be no more OTA errors. Make sure you have the latest version before trying to update!

I have this in my TWRP log
    script aborted: assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/build.prop", "0850b9497a2a1c0aa6fb3ef98aab4ad33b265810", "b8abe8054fd0d5cd14b06a84072c26150a4722a5")
    assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/build.prop", "0850b9497a2a1c0aa6fb3ef98aab4ad33b265810", "b8abe8054fd0d5cd14b06a84072c26150a4722a5")
    E:Error executing updater binary in zip '/cache//8b2531d9d9a686c7dcf347513ce8141d59a251c6.signed-nakasi-JWR66Y-from-JWR66V.8b2531d9.zip'
    E:Error installing zip file '/cache//8b2531d9d9a686c7dcf347513ce8141d59a251c6.signed-nakasi-JWR66Y-from-JWR66V.8b2531d9.zip'

Same error everytime I try an OTA update or try flash the update manually.

stock rom, rooted, twrp recovery, superSU1.65

• Advertisement
Advertisement