Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 7 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭kop-end

Hi Guys,

I am having trouble updating to 4.3, i have not modded the tablet at all.

Any help in how to push throught the new 4.3

Thanks as always.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

kop-end wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Thanks as always.....

Your going to have to be a bit more specific than 'trouble'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭droidman123

Hi Guys,

Thanks as always.....

You can download 4.3 in apk,then just sideload it to your nexus 7. Make sure you click on "allow unknown sources", in security settings first.

Lads I bought my N7 last year but the screen lifting problem at the top left is getting very creaky indeed...what options do I have (if any)? If it requires posting it off to somewhere in Europe and taking a few weeks then I'll just suffer on. :) Thanks!

:edit: Just remembered that I rooted it during the summer....bye bye warranty!

Your going to have to be a bit more specific than 'trouble'?

Apologies, that was bit vague, It seems that i can succesfully downloand the 4.3 version from a link but when the Nexus restarts, it simply reverts back to 4.1 (yes, 4.1 !!) This is a US nexus so would that make a difference?

Thanks

You can download 4.3 in apk,then just sideload it to your nexus 7. Make sure you click on "allow unknown sources", in security settings first.

Thanks droidma123 , any chance you could explain hjow to do this?

Thanks droidma123 , any chance you could explain hjow to do this?

You can just google nexus7 4.3 download,that should throw up the result,or you could go to xda developers website,they will have a link. Before installing, go to settings→security→allow unknown sources. When you download the 4.3,just install and you should be good to go.any problems,just post on here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Should be getting my Nexus 7 2013 delivered tomorrow :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Rebel Rebel

Got my one today, just charging it up, 1st tablet so hoping for a good experience. must look into apps next

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Anyone know a decent place to buy a new screen. Dropped mine on holidays. I think I'm going to have a crack at fixing it myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jonski

Anyone else suffer from the "obtaining IP address" wifi problem and did they find a fix .

From reading on the inet I know it is something to do with hardware not being compatible , I bought a TP-Link 300Mbps Universal Wall Plug Range Extender which works fine with all our phones ( 4 different ones ) but is hard to connect to with the 3 Nexus 7's in the house with the above msg being the problem . My daughter has to turn the wifi on and off on her N7 to get it to connect , I have to try loads of different things to get mine to connect ( inssider , turn on and off wifi , etc ) and my wife doesn't even bother anymore ) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

@jonski, static ip?

I've one of the homeplugs as well just haven't set it up again so can't test but I didn't have probs before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jonski

kaimera wrote: »
    @jonski, static ip?

I've one of the homeplugs as well just haven't set it up again so can't test but I didn't have probs before.

Did that , and it works !
    I had read about that but hadn't expected it to be so easy to do as most said to try it but none explained how to do it .
    Working fine now , connecting first time every time .

You can just google nexus7 4.3 download,that should throw up the result,or you could go to xda developers website,they will have a link. Before installing, go to settings→security→allow unknown sources. When you download the 4.3,just install and you should be good to go.any problems,just post on here.

Thanks droidman123
    do I download to APK installer??? I am seriously confused.!!!

Thanks

Thanks droidman123
    do I download to APK installer??? I am seriously confused.!!!

Thanks

Get a file manager on the google playstore for free.es file manager should do
    When you download the apk it should be in your file manager under "downloads". Just click it and follow the prompt to "install" just make sure you have allow unknown sources ticked in your security settings first.

• Advertisement

Get a file manager on the google playstore for free.es file manager should do
    When you download the apk it should be in your file manager under "downloads". Just click it and follow the prompt to "install" just make sure you have allow unknown sources ticked in your security settings first.

Im sorry pal, im lost. I have downloaded the free .ES file manager.
    my problem is where to find the android 4.3 update apk file and also how do i ensure it will appear on the .es app.

Sorry for the hassle...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Im sorry pal, im lost. I have downloaded the free .ES file manager.
    my problem is where to find the android 4.3 update apk file and also how do i ensure it will appear on the .es app.

Sorry for the hassle...

click Sd card and then Downloaded. Should be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭irishgeo

is the nexus 1st gen going to get kit kat?

irishgeo wrote: »
    is the nexus 1st gen going to get kit kat?

I'd deffo say it will. It's not that old of a device to not get the update.

click Sd card and then Downloaded. Should be there.

how do i get the update onto the nexus? I have zero experience in this stuff. the only items in the SDCard/Downloads section is a few college .pdf i downloaded.

help...................

• Advertisement

how do i get the update onto the nexus? I have zero experience in this stuff. the only items in the SDCard/Downloads section is a few college .pdf i downloaded.

help...................

It might be better if you get solid explorer from the playstore.open it and longpress on "downloads" then you will see the options to copy your apk file to your sd card.

It might be better if you get solid explorer from the playstore.open it and longpress on "downloads" then you will see the options to copy your apk file to your sd card.

And where do I get the apk file from?
    Thanks

And where do I get the apk file from?
    Thanks

I think he is mistaking with his information. I don't think you can get a 4.3 apk file. Try this instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Just bought my tablet yesterday and am too lazy to trawl through 65 pages!

Any quick way of setting up SMS on this? What app would I need?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Just bought my tablet yesterday and am too lazy to trawl through 65 pages!

Any quick way of setting up SMS on this? What app would I need?

Dinamotxt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Anyone any idea why I'm having problems installing downloaded apk files?

I download directly to the tablet, go into 'downloads', click on the item, and then 9 times out of 10 the 'install' button won't work. The only other option is 'Cancel'.

My tablet isn't rooted. 'Unknown sources' is clicked.

My dad has the same tablet, no problem installing with the same downloaded files. It's wrecking my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭IrlMonk

juke wrote: »
    Anyone any idea why I'm having problems installing downloaded apk files?

I download directly to the tablet, go into 'downloads', click on the item, and then 9 times out of 10 the 'install' button won't work. The only other option is 'Cancel'.

My tablet isn't rooted. 'Unknown sources' is clicked.

My dad has the same tablet, no problem installing with the same downloaded files. It's wrecking my head.

Disable screen filter if you are using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

IrlMonk wrote: »

Bingo! This has been annoying me for about 2 months, :pac:

IrlMonk wrote: »

Where is the Screen Filter located so I can disable it, I think this is also my long-running update to 4.3 problem.........don't mention the war :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

OK Guys, a quick update on the above query. I managed to get the 4.3 update downloaded to my ES. File Explorer.

When i unzip the file and then press it, I get the below options.....I am not sure what to do next...

Cut
    Copy
    Rename
    Delete
    Select All
    Shortcut
    Bookmark
    Compress
    Set s Home
    Properties

Thanks

• Advertisement

Still can't update to JWR66Y.

Nothing online that helps.

I've tried editing the zip file contents; unrooted and still the update fails in TWRP.

****ing pointless. Same thing as the 4.3 JWR66V update and I had to flash a stock rom then. I shouldn't have to do it again now. ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

Just installed the 4.4 Update. Finding it good so far.

It can be downloaded here Link

I used SkipSoft Toolkit cause I'm not that confident with command lines and stuff like that. Which can be downloaded from here Link

But for people who are familiar, if you are on stock 4.3 you will need to sideload the zip file

Happy Flashing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Just updated mine to Android 4.4 using the "Nexus Root Kit" ...
    Painless and quick. :pac:

Just updated mine to Android 4.4 using the "Nexus Root Kit" ...
    Painless and quick. :pac:

Update was painless for me but the os seems to be very slow no even just navigating around menus. Roll on 4.4.1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Update was painless for me but the os seems to be very slow no even just navigating around menus. Roll on 4.4.1

I've found more often than not a factory reset is called for after a software os update.

god's toy wrote: »
    I've found more often than not a factory reset is called for after a software os update.

Will try that, now that you mention it I think I had to do one when I updated to JB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

They said yesterday.

Today nothing - no android kit kat (nexus 7 2013).

They said it is supposed to end era of fragmentation .. yet they cannot even update their own devices at the same time.

Oh how I miss iPad.

Android - never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

First World Problems :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

198321 wrote: »
    They said yesterday.

They said it is supposed to end era of fragmentation .. yet they cannot even update their own devices at the same time.

Oh how I miss iPad.

Android - never again.

A tad over dramatic, no?

These chaps should be able to help
    www.samaritans.org/‎

Google roll it out in waves OTA to balance server load and ensure there are no issues which impact the full install base at once.
    Look at how apple had to tweak their IOS7 rollout and rush out quick fixes shortly after release and their servers werent the most efficient on day 1 of release.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

A tad over dramatic, no?

These chaps should be able to help
    www.samaritans.org/‎

Google roll it out in waves OTA to balance server load and ensure there are no issues which impact the full install base at once.
    Look at how apple had to tweak their IOS7 rollout and rush out quick fixes shortly after release and their servers werent the most efficient on day 1 of release.

it took them more then 2 weeks to release it on nexus 7 after nexus 5. How long it's gonna take HTC, Samsung, LG ... ? Months and months ..

I didn't mind to wait for update on my HTC HERO for over a year - few years ago - and that was ok, it was early stage of android.

But when Google says - Today Android Kit Kat will be on Nexus 7 .. and at midnight most people are wondering .. anybody got the update? I think thats just bs ..

No need for samaritants .. i think ebay is much useful ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

198321 wrote: »
    They said yesterday.

Oh how I miss iPad.

Android - never again.

Everyone will have it within a week. If your that desperate for it so soon you can sideload it manually. Have a quick Google and you can find the instructions easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

So has anyone got the OTA update yet?
    I'm hoping it'll be waiting on my tablet when I get home :-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    So has anyone got the OTA update yet?
    I'm hoping it'll be waiting on my tablet when I get home :-P

I havent received it on N7 (2013) nor N10. My N7 is on my desk and connected but nothing yet.

Last I checked on XDA, the OTA hadnt hit UK or Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Has anyone got the iPlayer app up and running and actually showing content on the N7? I have it installed but it only ever shows "programme not available, try again later" when I try to view anything. The browser version on Firefox works but it's far from perfect. I use overplay.net smart DNS in my router to bypass the geoblocking.

Had to flash stock jwr66y to be able to update to 4.4

Oh well, went fine; rooted and custom recovery on again, just trying to figure what apps I wanna keep!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Just in case anyone is wondering why their Nexus 7 doesn't have the new launcher (transparent notification and bottom button bars) then you need to install these two updates from Google, worked a treat :)

Now my N7 is like my N5 :D

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=47432060&postcount=1

OK Guys,

I have reached my full tech limit trying to update my nexus 7 from 4.1 , i got as far as the boot menu and noticed a ' Locked State : Locked' at the bottom left under the 'android robot' image.

Does anybody know a company/person who can fix this up for me, i think I am beginning to mess up the tablet as this morning I cannot connect to the PLAY store, it just saying " No Connection, Retry"
    the wifi is perfect and everything else is fine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HELP :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

OK Guys,

I have reached my full tech limit trying to update my nexus 7 from 4.1 , i got as far as the boot menu and noticed a ' Locked State : Locked' at the bottom left under the 'android robot' image.

Does anybody know a company/person who can fix this up for me, i think I am beginning to mess up the tablet as this morning I cannot connect to the PLAY store, it just saying " No Connection, Retry"
    the wifi is perfect and everything else is fine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HELP :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I was getting that this morning too, the play store might be getting an update.

As for updating. Use wugfresh's nexus root toolkit. Just google it and you'll find it (I think his site is wugfresh.com?). Just follow the instructions in the application, it downloads everything for you.

If you get stuck then post a screengrab here and I'm sure we'd be able to help you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

lafors wrote: »
    Just in case anyone is wondering why their Nexus 7 doesn't have the new launcher (transparent notification and bottom button bars) then you need to install these two updates from Google, worked a treat :)

Now my N7 is like my N5 :D

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=47432060&postcount=1

Does the N7 look okay in landscape with the new launcher?
    I mainly use my N7 in landscape, so just curious :)

@kop-end.

Pretty sure for the 4.4 update you need to be on 4.3 first.

Get the rootkit and flash to stock jwr66y and then flash the zip via the tool.

You'll wipe the device flashing to stock tho.

• Advertisement
Advertisement