Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 7 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

god's toy wrote: »
    Factory reset?

Last resort, I've done it in the past and it made no difference though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Sounds like a roge app is going to town on your device. I would reset, let the Trim support in 4.3 mark and clean the storage over night, and as that helps response times (it auto starts when on charge and seep) and then reload apps slowly until I found the bugger.

If your still getting slowdown without apps then I'd say it's hardware problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

ok, finally got updated to 4.3, had to go about it the manual way and fastboot (bootloader, boot and system)

1) I can't drag down the notification bar for my settings options like before - top right corner

2) power toggles doesn't work even after a reinstall of the app - worked flawlessly on 4.2.2

oh and the home button no longer works.

fine update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

kaimera wrote: »
    ok, finally got updated to 4.3, had to go about it the manual way and fastboot (bootloader, boot and system)

1) I can't drag down the notification bar for my settings options like before - top right corner

2) power toggles doesn't work even after a reinstall of the app - worked flawlessly on 4.2.2

I recommend re-flashing the factory image. Cause something obvisously went wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

oh and the home button no longer works.

fine update.

Reboot solves that if its a custom ROM you installed....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I was watching a 720p movie on my Nexus 7 last night and I found it very jumpy. Started up the same video on my Galaxy Note 2 and it played perfect. So it got me thinking maybe the GPU is not very good in Nexus 7.

So just for the sake of it I said I would play the movie through XBMC and it played perfectly. Pretty good app. But the onscreen menu's stayed on screen so in the end I download full!screen, to get rid of the menu buttons. So now I just run full!screen when running XBMC and disable it when not as it isn't great at the multi-tasking butons as the default menu buttons are.

What player are you using on the nexus? if its the stock one it's not great, download MX Player its much better, you can switch between codecs on the fly have had a few files play laggy on the HW codec but you can just change it to SW and it should work fine, depends on how the file is encoded I think.

I recommend re-flashing the factory image. Cause something obvisously went wrong.

Don't want to lose my data so factory img isn't really an option.

OTA update kept failing which is why I had to manually update.
    Fieldog wrote: »
    Reboot solves that if its a custom ROM you installed....

Stock rom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I have mine rooted so havent updated to 4.3 yet, I have titanium backup on it so once I back up everything is it on the device after the update or do I need to connect it to a pc and move everything over? never really delved much into the whole custom ROM side of it tbh just running apex launcher instead of the stock homescreen stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.grilledmonkey.lagfix&hl=en

It slows over time alright, mainly due to how java garbage collection works and cheap flash memory modules. Use the above app to sort out the lag issues. It reassign's unused space and speeds up the device. Android 4.3 has this function built in by default AFAIK, but it might not work automatically when upgrading from 4.1/4.2 etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Will this work with the new nexus 7?

Don't think so. Hence the sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭droidman123

Will this work with the new nexus 7?

It definitly wont work with the new nexus 7.the new one is slightly longer and i,m not even sure it has pogo pins.

Has anyone else gotten a small sys update recently? ~2mb i think.

I had issues updating OTA to 4.3 and had to do a full wipe and install a clean img.

Now with this update I'm getting the same error with the OTA update with TWR - something about a file being missing iirc, same error as before.

rooted on stock 4.3

Has anyone else gotten a small sys update recently? ~2mb i think.

I had issues updating OTA to 4.3 and had to do a full wipe and install a clean img.

Now with this update I'm getting the same error with the OTA update with TWR - something about a file being missing iirc, same error as before.

rooted on stock 4.3
    Yes there was a recent 1.7 mb update

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bobmyster

I've had that too, got the same error, do you know what is in the update?
    What's the best way to install the update without a wipe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I get an error installinbg that update as well. I think it is because I am rooted. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Super SU was recently updated and Chainfire stated that there should be no more OTA errors. Make sure you have the latest version before trying to update!

I have this in my TWRP log
    script aborted: assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/build.prop", "0850b9497a2a1c0aa6fb3ef98aab4ad33b265810", "b8abe8054fd0d5cd14b06a84072c26150a4722a5")
    assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/build.prop", "0850b9497a2a1c0aa6fb3ef98aab4ad33b265810", "b8abe8054fd0d5cd14b06a84072c26150a4722a5")
    E:Error executing updater binary in zip '/cache//8b2531d9d9a686c7dcf347513ce8141d59a251c6.signed-nakasi-JWR66Y-from-JWR66V.8b2531d9.zip'
    E:Error installing zip file '/cache//8b2531d9d9a686c7dcf347513ce8141d59a251c6.signed-nakasi-JWR66Y-from-JWR66V.8b2531d9.zip'

Same error everytime I try an OTA update or try flash the update manually.

stock rom, rooted, twrp recovery, superSU1.65

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭kop-end

Hi Guys,

I am having trouble updating to 4.3, i have not modded the tablet at all.

Any help in how to push throught the new 4.3

Thanks as always.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

kop-end wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Thanks as always.....

Your going to have to be a bit more specific than 'trouble'?

Hi Guys,

Thanks as always.....

You can download 4.3 in apk,then just sideload it to your nexus 7. Make sure you click on "allow unknown sources", in security settings first.

Lads I bought my N7 last year but the screen lifting problem at the top left is getting very creaky indeed...what options do I have (if any)? If it requires posting it off to somewhere in Europe and taking a few weeks then I'll just suffer on. :) Thanks!

:edit: Just remembered that I rooted it during the summer....bye bye warranty!

Your going to have to be a bit more specific than 'trouble'?

Apologies, that was bit vague, It seems that i can succesfully downloand the 4.3 version from a link but when the Nexus restarts, it simply reverts back to 4.1 (yes, 4.1 !!) This is a US nexus so would that make a difference?

Thanks

You can download 4.3 in apk,then just sideload it to your nexus 7. Make sure you click on "allow unknown sources", in security settings first.

Thanks droidma123 , any chance you could explain hjow to do this?

Thanks droidma123 , any chance you could explain hjow to do this?

You can just google nexus7 4.3 download,that should throw up the result,or you could go to xda developers website,they will have a link. Before installing, go to settings→security→allow unknown sources. When you download the 4.3,just install and you should be good to go.any problems,just post on here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Should be getting my Nexus 7 2013 delivered tomorrow :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Rebel Rebel

Got my one today, just charging it up, 1st tablet so hoping for a good experience. must look into apps next

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Anyone know a decent place to buy a new screen. Dropped mine on holidays. I think I'm going to have a crack at fixing it myself

Advertisement