Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 7 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

198321 wrote: »
    They said yesterday.

Today nothing - no android kit kat (nexus 7 2013).

They said it is supposed to end era of fragmentation .. yet they cannot even update their own devices at the same time.

Oh how I miss iPad.

Android - never again.

Everyone will have it within a week. If your that desperate for it so soon you can sideload it manually. Have a quick Google and you can find the instructions easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

So has anyone got the OTA update yet?
    I'm hoping it'll be waiting on my tablet when I get home :-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    So has anyone got the OTA update yet?
    I'm hoping it'll be waiting on my tablet when I get home :-P

I havent received it on N7 (2013) nor N10. My N7 is on my desk and connected but nothing yet.

Last I checked on XDA, the OTA hadnt hit UK or Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,028 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Has anyone got the iPlayer app up and running and actually showing content on the N7? I have it installed but it only ever shows "programme not available, try again later" when I try to view anything. The browser version on Firefox works but it's far from perfect. I use overplay.net smart DNS in my router to bypass the geoblocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Had to flash stock jwr66y to be able to update to 4.4

Oh well, went fine; rooted and custom recovery on again, just trying to figure what apps I wanna keep!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Just in case anyone is wondering why their Nexus 7 doesn't have the new launcher (transparent notification and bottom button bars) then you need to install these two updates from Google, worked a treat :)

Now my N7 is like my N5 :D

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=47432060&postcount=1

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭kop-end

OK Guys,

I have reached my full tech limit trying to update my nexus 7 from 4.1 , i got as far as the boot menu and noticed a ' Locked State : Locked' at the bottom left under the 'android robot' image.

Does anybody know a company/person who can fix this up for me, i think I am beginning to mess up the tablet as this morning I cannot connect to the PLAY store, it just saying " No Connection, Retry"
    the wifi is perfect and everything else is fine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HELP :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

kop-end wrote: »
    OK Guys,

I have reached my full tech limit trying to update my nexus 7 from 4.1 , i got as far as the boot menu and noticed a ' Locked State : Locked' at the bottom left under the 'android robot' image.

Does anybody know a company/person who can fix this up for me, i think I am beginning to mess up the tablet as this morning I cannot connect to the PLAY store, it just saying " No Connection, Retry"
    the wifi is perfect and everything else is fine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HELP :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I was getting that this morning too, the play store might be getting an update.

As for updating. Use wugfresh's nexus root toolkit. Just google it and you'll find it (I think his site is wugfresh.com?). Just follow the instructions in the application, it downloads everything for you.

If you get stuck then post a screengrab here and I'm sure we'd be able to help you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

lafors wrote: »
    Just in case anyone is wondering why their Nexus 7 doesn't have the new launcher (transparent notification and bottom button bars) then you need to install these two updates from Google, worked a treat :)

Does the N7 look okay in landscape with the new launcher?
    I mainly use my N7 in landscape, so just curious :)

@kop-end.

Pretty sure for the 4.4 update you need to be on 4.3 first.

Get the rootkit and flash to stock jwr66y and then flash the zip via the tool.

You'll wipe the device flashing to stock tho.

• Advertisement

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Does the N7 look okay in landscape with the new launcher?
    I mainly use my N7 in landscape, so just curious :)

Seems to be alright. If you have icons on the top row though the search bar will be over the top half of them, it's see through but just doesn't look right.

Seems to be alright. If you have icons on the top row though the search bar will be over the top half of them, it's see though but just doesn't look right.

Ah I see!

Thanks for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

I'll brain those Microsoft clowns

For anybody on Win 8.1 trying to access a Nexus 7 as a portable device this may be of some use

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-hardware/win8-does-not-see-google-nexus7-as-an-external-usb/1227eda8-c0aa-4e55-8601-166382168aac?auth=1

The ADB toolkit drivers work for upgrading to 4.4 but you need the "mass storage" to be able to drag & drop files from Win 8.1

Perfect for me too.

thanks!!

I was getting that this morning too, the play store might be getting an update.

As for updating. Use wugfresh's nexus root toolkit. Just google it and you'll find it (I think his site is wugfresh.com?). Just follow the instructions in the application, it downloads everything for you.

If you get stuck then post a screengrab here and I'm sure we'd be able to help you.

Thanks lafors, the WUGFRESH kit look very simple, but it seems I hit another snag, the bootloader screen (at bottom left) is tells me " Lock State : Locked" and the WUGFRESH tool kit cannot seem to unlock it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Came across a cool free app that allowed me play video content on my Nexus 7 and send it via WiFi to my XBMC PC to watch on the big screen tv.

App name is twonkyBeam.

Thanks lafors, the WUGFRESH kit look very simple, but it seems I hit another snag, the bootloader screen (at bottom left) is tells me " Lock State : Locked" and the WUGFRESH tool kit cannot seem to unlock it.

Try a different USB port or cable. I've seen that once or twice.

Could you post a screen grab of the terminal window?

Try a different USB port or cable. I've seen that once or twice.

Could you post a screen grab of the terminal window?

Thanks lafors, photos attached, had to take photo, could not do screengrab in bootloader screen, different USB & Cable gave no joy either...

mc3u.jpg

q1ko.jpg

Thanks lafors, photos attached, had to take photo, could not do screengrab in bootloader screen, different USB & Cable gave no joy either...

mc3u.jpg

q1ko.jpg

Sorry I meant a screengrab of wugfreshs nrt window and the terminal window it opens when you try to unlock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭irishgeo

any sign of the OTA update?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

irishgeo wrote: »

Nope, unless you want to install it manually. Desperate slow from Google on this occasion. Poor stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Anyone have the new photo app just appear on there apps list ,hangouts updated too
    Was hoping 4.4 was coming humbug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

irishgeo wrote: »

Woke up this morning to the notification of 4.4 update, only problem is I manually upgraded to 4.4 a few days ago and the notification won't go away. Anyone know what to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Woke up this morning to the notification of 4.4 update, only problem is I manually upgraded to 4.4 a few days ago and the notification won't go away. Anyone know what to do?

Seems like Google just released a new build and the 4.4 ota is starting to roll out.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/11/19/nexus-7-nexus-4-android-4-4-kitkat-updates-closer-ever/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Has anyone gotten the OTA update yet?
    I'm still waiting patiently.....

Has anyone gotten the OTA update yet?
    I'm still waiting patiently.....

Nothing yet for me anyway :mad:

Got a 1.4MB OTA update last night (was on the 4.4 factory img anyway)

Flashed fine but lost TWRP & root. Meh, fix it later maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

No update yet, I'd like to know whats going on ..

I understand it takes time to update all devices .. but I thought it's like 1-5 days, not weeks ..

It seems there is something terribly wrong with Android Kit Kat ..

I also enjoyed their talk about fragmentation and how this version of android is going to stop it ... yet they can't even roll that update to their own devices ..
    Very disappointed ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

198321 wrote: »
    No update yet, I'd like to know whats going on ..

I understand it takes time to update all devices .. but I thought it's like 1-5 days, not weeks ..

It seems there is something terribly wrong with Android Kit Kat ..

I also enjoyed their talk about fragmentation and how this version of android is going to stop it ... yet they can't even roll that update to their own devices ..
    Very disappointed ..

Yea looks like a bug was found after the initial release and the updates were stopped.
    New build came out the other day so we should get the updates this week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

Verizon’s Moto X is getting android 4.4

even before nexus

I dont want to sound like child, but the reason I got nexus is to have latest software on it ..

but at least we see how much google cares ...

Advertisement