Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 7 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

robinph wrote: »
    Didn't get as far as downgrading the firmware yet, but the factory reset has made an improvement. The Facebook app seemed to kill the tablet immediately and put it back into the practically useless state. Uninstalled that and it came back to life again. Will try reinstalling some other apps one by one to see if they cripple the tablet also.

Facebook was a killer for me too but it seems to be a bit better now but still crashes . I had an app called twilight and that was one of the ones killing it for me .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I've been doing a little read around the webs, and a lot of people seem to be blaming the latest update of Google Play Services, as opposed to the new os.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Can't discuss those apps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭SScope

Just wondering if anyone has had any trouble and success with fixing the charging port on their Nexus? At the moment I have to have the cable pulled in a tight angle to get any charge on the tablet.

If its not a diy job can you recommend somewhere to get it fixed?

Thanks
    Sscope

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

SScope wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has had any trouble and success with fixing the charging port on their Nexus? At the moment I have to have the cable pulled in a tight angle to get any charge on the tablet.

Thanks
    Sscope
    If it's a 2013 model, then you could get a QI charger and use inductive charging instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭corkie

SScope wrote: »

Thanks
    Sscope

If 2012 Model it can be done. Some of the internal screws can be a bitch to turn.

There is an old thread here with youtube links and the part required that you can order from asus/amazon.

I could not open two screws on mine so got it done in a repair shop in cork. You didn't say where your from?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Still no sign of the lollipop update for me (2012) but I did do a factory reset over the weekend and it's running a lot smoother now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭SScope

Thanks for the advice guys, I should have said I'm located in Dublin. I've had a go at the port myself after reading up and looking a some youtube vids and no luck with the charging port.

Will see about taking it somewhere or the QI charger.

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

tok9 wrote: »
    Still no sign of the lollipop update for me (2012) but I did do a factory reset over the weekend and it's running a lot smoother now.

Glad to know I'm not the only N7 2012 waiting for lollipop.
    Then again I'm not sure if I even want lollipop.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dominoman

@tok9,@psinno I have two N7 2012 and I also have no sign of lollipop. I wonder what percentage have been updated so far?

I've no idea, I just keep seeing people say they have it and assume I should have it soon.

But that feels like about 2 weeks now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭irishchris

When you do get lollipop this is kinda cool.I know most will find it pointless but thought it was a fun idea for android to add it in. Press settings>about phone>>tap android version 5 times>tap lollipop 5 times then keep your finger pressed on the lolipop and SURPRISE

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Got my upgrade to 5.0.1 from 4.4.4 on Thursday night (N7, 2013) No problems at all with it so far but some of the features will take a while to get used to

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

Still waiting on lollipop ota on my n7 2013 :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Just got the 5.0.2 update for my 2012 N7 , hope it improves the performance a bit .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

I kinda thought the expected 90 day wait for Lollipop on the HTC One was long but it has been 56 days and still no sign for my Nexus 7. No hurry but it might be nice if my tablet was updated at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

jonski wrote: »
    Just got the 5.0.2 update for my 2012 N7 , hope it improves the performance a bit .
    Well it could hardly be worse! Update came through for me late last night - first impressions is that at least the device is usable again!

When you leave the device on for a few days it seems to get really bogged down.

I just turn restart it and it works pretty well again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Lads, the mammy got a N7 2013 for christmas. Can anyone recommend a suitable case for it? Preferably one with a stand so she can watch RTE player on it in the kitchen. I'd be looking to buy her a decent one so I'm willing to spend a few quid. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Lads, the mammy got a N7 2013 for christmas. Can anyone recommend a suitable case for it? Preferably one with a stand so she can watch RTE player on it in the kitchen. I'd be looking to buy her a decent one so I'm willing to spend a few quid. Cheers.

theres a great choice on amazon,just make sure its the nexus 2013 you get the case for. I use this one and find it great,its slim but strong and protects well, and it has the sleep magnet.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MoKo-Google-New-Nexus-Case/dp/B00CKA1IYU/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420758933&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=nexus+7+mokocase

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

theres a great choice on amazon,just make sure its the nexus 2013 you get the case for. I use this one and find it great,its slim but strong and protects well, and it has the sleep magnet.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MoKo-Google-New-Nexus-Case/dp/B00CKA1IYU/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420758933&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=nexus+7+mokocase

Cheers, will take a look.

RE: the sleep magnet. Does the magnet interfere with Google Sky Map? Because she'd be using that a good bit, and if it messes with the compass then its a non-runner.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Cheers, will take a look.

RE: the sleep magnet. Does the magnet interfere with Google Sky Map? Because she'd be using that a good bit, and if it messes with the compass then its a non-runner.

Thanks.

I don't think it would,it just puts the tablet to sleep when you close the cover.tbh I have never heard of anyone having this problem

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭bert911

Got lollipop update on my N7 2nd gen this morning 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Same here, I like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

I got the latest lollipop update on Thursday and woke up yesterday to find the tablet stuck in a bootloop (just the Google logo on the screen).

Managed to power it down and get into recovery and it's telling me that it can't mount the cache. I've attempted a factory wipe but it fails because of the cache error.

Ive looked at trying to reflash a factory image but am just none too sure how to go about it and all the toolkits I looked at seem to need the tablet fully turned on with an unlocked bootloader.

If anyone could nudge me in the right direction or has had something similar happen let me know!

It's a 2013 version, never been rooted and I've never unlocked the bootloader.

Any help appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭corkie

If anyone could nudge me in the right direction or has had something similar happen let me know!

It's a 2013 version, never been rooted and I've never unlocked the bootloader.

Any help appreciated!

If you can get the device into fastboot mode (Vol Down + Power from off)?

It maybe possible to manually flash the factory image, get the latest factory image for your device here. (5.0.2 (LRX22G) for wifi 2013.)

If that works, you could then use the NRT to root and flash a custom recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I'm really put off updating the firmware, based on this thread...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

corkie wrote: »
    If you can get the device into fastboot mode (Vol Down + Power from off)?

It maybe possible to manually flash the factory image, get the latest factory image for your device here. (5.0.2 (LRX22G) for wifi 2013.)

If that works, you could then use the NRT to root and flash a custom recovery.

Thanks, will attempt this when I get a moment!

Advertisement