Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 7 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

tok9 wrote: »
    I already have a nexus.

My point is, whatever I can do on the nexus, I should be able to do on my Raspberry PI no?

Meaning it's only advantage really is being able to stream saved files?

can you play your favourite android game on the Pi?

its not mandatory that you do this btw ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

morana wrote: »
    can you play your favourite android game on the Pi?

its not mandatory that you do this btw ;)

I've no idea, that's why I was wondering really if there was any other advantages to it.

Ya I know but I'm tempted just to buy it now for streaming things straight off it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Google Now is getting a bit clever!
    I booked a ticket to Vue in liffey valley the other day, confirmation mail went to gmail, then was searching google for liffey valley restaurants to get something to eat before it. Then an hour before I left a notification popped up on the top for google now new card. Opened it and it told me it was currently a 22min drive from home to Liffey Valley!!!
    Now that is cool :)
    I'm wondering did they get that info from my gmail or from my liffey valley google searches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

lafors wrote: »
    Google Now is getting a bit clever!
    I booked a ticket to Vue in liffey valley the other day, confirmation mail went to gmail, then was searching google for liffey valley restaurants to get something to eat before it. Then an hour before I left a notification popped up on the top for google now new card. Opened it and it told me it was currently a 22min drive from home to Liffey Valley!!!
    Now that is cool :)
    I'm wondering did they get that info from my gmail or from my liffey valley google searches?
    Both I'd presume.
    The new update to Google now allows it to take data from Gmail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Strange one this, have my nexus since they went on sale have had no screen issues etc but it has recently developed a wierd problem. I power it off when im finished using it at night, but lately im having trouble powering it back on. Previously holding the power button in for 2-3 seconds would power it back up, but now i have to keep pressing and pressing and holding it in for 30 seconds or more until it eventually decides to turn on. The button itself is working perfectly, locks the screen everytime etc once its on, so that doesnt seem to be the issue, but i dont know what is.

Wondering is anyone else experiencing this? Oh, also tts rooted but on stock .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

So I got the screen cracked and now it's on its way back to aues in the Netherlands, anyone every try and get the glass repaired before under the the warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭aka Dus

allybhoy wrote: »
    Strange one this, have my nexus since they went on sale have had no screen issues etc but it has recently developed a wierd problem. I power it off when im finished using it at night, but lately im having trouble powering it back on. Previously holding the power button in for 2-3 seconds would power it back up, but now i have to keep pressing and pressing and holding it in for 30 seconds or more until it eventually decides to turn on. The button itself is working perfectly, locks the screen everytime etc once its on, so that doesnt seem to be the issue, but i dont know what is.

Wondering is anyone else experiencing this? Oh, also tts rooted but on stock .

Yeah, I have had this a couple of times. I rarely turn it off but the battery has powered out on me once or twice now and I have struggled to turn it back on when I had connected it to the charger. I thought maybe it would need a few minutes for some kind of minimum charge to occur before the unit would respond but it went on way longer than that. Eventually it turned on when I leaned on it for 10 or 15 seconds. Doubt it's supposed to do that. So the moral of the story is to keep it switched on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

There's a lot of stuff here including Youtube videos that might help

Thanks - serious amount of reading there.

Nexus was handed over today - 14 year old nephew was chief instructor, and my 73 your old mam did very well, by all accounts. Am prepared for the barrage of questions, but mastering her nokia lumia was obviously a huge bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Not sure if it's been mentioned here but when reading up on covers etc, I discovered that there is a magnet built in to some cases that will auto start your device.

It's not commonly published, but there is a magnet on the side that allows for the device to be turned on when the cover is opened and turned off when closed.

More here: http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/11/google-nexus-7-magnetic-screen-sleep-sensor/

I think due to the patent issues with Apple, they haven't actually openly advertised this feature.

Maybe of help to people who recently just bought their N7's!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭stevek93

Got the 32gb in pc world other day and loving it! :D does any one know where i can pick up a case in the city centre for less than a fiver till this one arrives http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Nillkin-Black-Smart-Wake-Up-Folio-Leather-Case-Cover-Google-Nexus-7-16GB-8G-ASU-/290776477799?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item43b3a0f067, Also have a look at that case seems good.

Edit: Installed juice defender this morning am seeing good improvements on the battery life so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

stevek93 wrote: »
    Got the 32gb in pc world other day and loving it! :D does any one know where i can pick up a case in the city centre for less than a fiver till this one arrives http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Nillkin-Black-Smart-Wake-Up-Folio-Leather-Case-Cover-Google-Nexus-7-16GB-8G-ASU-/290776477799?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item43b3a0f067, Also have a look at that case seems good.

Edit: Installed juice defender this morning am seeing good improvements on the battery life so far.

That's the case I bought too, you'll be waiting. I ordered it over 2 weeks ago and still no sign.

tok9 wrote: »

That's the case I bought too, you'll be waiting. I ordered it over 2 weeks ago and still no sign.

Wouldn't worry to much anything you buy from China takes forever to arrive, might buy a few screen protectors as well for some reason I never seem to get them to stick properly lol.

Anyone using firefox whole texts keeps deleting in a text box when pressing the return key :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I picked up the Port Phoenix 2 case in Tesco. Great fit for the Nexus 7, already saved it from a drop on concrete. Props it up nicely. €19.99.

wingnut wrote: »
    I picked up the Port Phoenix 2 case in Tesco. Great fit for the Nexus 7, already saved it from a drop on concrete. Props it up nicely. €19.99.

Rather the one I posted above don't really like the coners around the screen on that case.

• Advertisement

I was a sheep and ordered this from Amazon simply because it's so popular. Good for the price. Does the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I did not know you can get 3G on the nexus if ya root it and have a 3G modem

that is pretty cool

Headshot wrote: »
    I did not know you can get 3G on the nexus if ya root it and have a 3G modem

that is pretty cool

Is that not standard with the cellular models?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 pigfarmer44

This truly is an awesome bit of kit. I have installed vlc player and es file manager. I can now stream all media from my home network. Dream droid is a cool app, I can control my sat box and stream content. Using Hideman and bbc iplayer app, I have that sorted as well (hideman is about 2 bucks a month) . I can control foobar and utorrent on my pc with it, and reading books with Aldiko is awesome. It synches my google calendar from my pc, and social networking is easy to use. The app store has so much on offer. AVG security is good and free and comes with the ability to find your tablet if you lose it or it gets stolen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

This truly is an awesome bit of kit. I have installed vlc player and es file manager. I can now stream all media from my home network. Dream droid is a cool app, I can control my sat box and stream content. Using Hideman and bbc iplayer app, I have that sorted as well (hideman is about 2 bucks a month) . I can control foobar and utorrent on my pc with it, and reading books with Aldiko is awesome. It synches my google calendar from my pc, and social networking is easy to use. The app store has so much on offer. AVG security is good and free and comes with the ability to find your tablet if you lose it or it gets stolen.

I'd thought VLC player was no longer available to download??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

I'd thought VLC player was no longer available to download??

It's in beta mode. I downloaded it this morning.

What are the benefits of an OTG Cable?

Can get one cheap.

Have a look at dolphin broswer peoples chrome is sh!t https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.mgeek.TunnyBrowser&hl=en

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jonski

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    What are the benefits of an OTG Cable?

Can get one cheap.

you can use it to connect a usb stick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dohouch

Anybody using a 3G dongle with Nexus 7?
    If yes, which type/model?
    I presume it must be hacked/rooted or? ---- I don't want to hack just now

2295861727.png

What a fast PING I have ,compared to
    stevek93
    above

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Have a look at dolphin broswer peoples chrome is sh!t https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.mgeek.TunnyBrowser&hl=en

Looks decent. Will give it a try.

I'd agree with you about Chrome too. Don't have as many issues with it on my Nexus but on my phone, it crashes at least once a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭stonybroke

Got a nexus 7 in Argos yesterday for 189.99 it's my sons Christmas present, are they good !!

Bit late to be asking now! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

stonybroke wrote: »
    Got a nexus 7 in Argos yesterday for 189.99 it's my sons Christmas present, are they good !!

Simple answer..yes !!
    and thats a good price ;)

Looks decent. Will give it a try.

I'd agree with you about Chrome too. Don't have as many issues with it on my Nexus but on my phone, it crashes at least once a day.
    Yep it blows chrome away I find as well chrome has a lot of stutter and lag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

stonybroke wrote: »

Jaysus? That's cheaper than straight from google?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭stonybroke

I resevered it on wednesday, the price was 239, when I got to argos in the Illac to collect it was 189, happy days !!

Anyone know when android 4.2 is coming out?

Anyone know when android 4.2 is coming out?

13th of November, not sure if it will be on the nexus 7 then though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Will it support profile switching or is that reserved for "full" tablets?

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Will it support profile switching or is that reserved for "full" tablets?

As far as I know its on the nexus 7 :D we should see it by the end of the month so if its out on the 13th.

Just wondering if anyone here knows that if I buy the nexus 7 from the google play store and get it delivered to my address in the UK, but don't power it up until I'm back in Ireland on Christmas day, would I still get the play store credit? Because I think I heard that only Ireland doesn't get that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

shizz wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone here knows that if I buy the nexus 7 from the google play store and get it delivered to my address in the UK, but don't power it up until I'm back in Ireland on Christmas day, would I still get the play store credit? Because I think I heard that only Ireland doesn't get that?

Thats deal ended a couple of months ago. It was only for the early purchasers of the N7.

Eligibility and Restrictions

If you travel outside of the country in which the credit is issued, it will not be valid for purchases outside of your local currency.
    The $25 Google Play credit is not transferable between accounts
    The $25 Google Play credit offer ends September 30, 2012.

Also there were plenty of way around country restrictions - i got $50 spread over my two accounts :D

Thats deal ended a couple of months ago. It was only for the early purchasers of the N7.

Also there were plenty of way around country restrictions - i got $50 spread over my two accounts :D

Ah balls. Oh well. That clears that. :) Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭doctorg

Asus are now giving €25 to anyone that bought it before 29th OCT cause of the price drop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

doctorg wrote: »
    Asus are now giving €25 to anyone that bought it before 29th OCT cause of the price drop

That looked sweet till I read up about it!
    So you’ve carefully done your research and decided to purchase the award winning Nexus 7 by ASUS. We’d like to welcome you to the family by offering you a ₤25 coupon valid for purchases from our ASUS Shop online store!

* Effective application dates:
    October 30th - November 30th, 2012

Qualification:
    1. Nexus 7 purchased by October 29th, 2012.
    2. Nexus 7 purchased at our physical channels and its online shops.
    3. Complete registration at ASUS member site
    4. Submission of proof of purchase.

What does that bolded line above entail? I got my mine in PC World... does that count as a physical channel?

Seems like a lot of effort to get something in their shop (which doesn't have a great selection!)

Details @ http://event.asus.com/2012/tablet/nexus_7/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dohouch

Anybody able to tell me what these 2 numbers look like

Contract code from Warranty Card*

Password from Warranty Card*

Have tried various combinations from the sicker on the warranty leaflet but none seem to work and there is no help on the site
    Have tried these--Contract code from Warranty Card*::
    CSSN: 015d2d426f4bee0f

Password from Warranty Card;
    VN:3222

OR
    Nexus Asus - 1B015A

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

• Registered Users Posts: 16 laszlo

What does that bolded line above entail? I got my mine in PC World... does that count as a physical channel?

Seems like a lot of effort to get something in their shop (which doesn't have a great selection!)

Do they have an online store that Irish customers can use? I can't seem to find one.

• Advertisement

Just registered my tablet with them thanks OP now we play the waiting game. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Got mine in argos, but I don't think that or PC world counts as one of their official shops. Maybe I'm wrong?

Sh!t just looked at my receipt bought it on the 30th not the 29th day late lol was wondering why I wasn't receiving a email from Asus. :P

Oh and its €30 for us not €25 (to lazy to edit my post)

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kave2

Not working for me. Says incorrect serial number even though when I entered it first, it automatically recognized the device but when i click submit it is giving me incorrect serial number. Very weird.

• Advertisement
Advertisement