Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 7 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭stevek93

Inquitus wrote: »
    My Galaxy Note 2, SGS3 before it and Galaxy Nexus before that were/are all lag free.
    Yes but it keeps coming back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I hadn't got the update but I went to settings-apps-all-Google framework and hit force stop and clear data. Then go check availability again and it's now downloading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Thanks. The update just popped up an hour ago. Think I will leave it going by the comments here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Jet Black wrote: »
    Thanks. The update just popped up an hour ago. Think I will leave it going by the comments here.

Just to balance the comments, I upgraded mine via OTA over an hour ago and haven't noticed anything negative. Performance is still fast. Based on past android upgrades on other devices, I'd do a full factory reset if I was having performance issues.

Just to balance the comments, I upgraded mine via OTA over an hour ago and haven't noticed anything negative. Performance is still fast. Based on past android upgrades on other devices, I'd do a full factory reset if I was having performance issues.

Maybe I should have waited for the OTA so, off to resest via recovery as the lag is driving me mad.

• Advertisement

Same here.

Right lags gone YAY! :D Rebooted to stock recovery wiped data and cache if anything it is more snappier. Emm only thing is now apps aren't downloading in the play store :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

stevek93 wrote: »
    Right lags gone YAY! :D Rebooted to stock recovery wiped data and cache if anything it is more snappier. Emm only thing is now apps aren't downloading in the play store :confused:

Odd, you should just go into play store, select my apps and then all apps and select which to reinstall. The play store is showing your previously purchased apps? Can you see your account under 'accounts,?

Odd, you should just go into play store, select my apps and then all apps and select which to reinstall. The play store is showing your previously purchased apps? Can you see your account under 'accounts,?

Never mind working now :), went to install dolphin browser was stalling on downloading for a around 10 minutes and just magically came to life stange. Anyways 4.2 well worth the update if you experience lag just wipe the device in the recovery and you should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Anyone notice the improved notification options? Pull down from top left for normal notifications and top right opens the toggles, like wifi, screen rotation etc.

• Advertisement

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Anyone notice the improved notification options? Pull down from top left for normal notifications and top right opens the toggles, like wifi, screen rotation etc.

Yes was wondering why they didn't keep it in one drawer tho, anyone using the new swype?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Am definitely not gonna update to 4.2 until there are custom ROM's and modifications done to certain things, the amount of complaints from people on XDA for various things on 4.2 from the lockscreen to slow charging is big and cannot be ignored

I am quite happy running AOSP anyway.

By the way why does the Journal app not work on the Nexus 7, ive tried it on stock ROM and AOSP and it force closes, tried to fix permissions no luck.

Worls fine on my Galaxy S3?

Don't think the lag problem in Android will ever be fixed. :(

No lag problem on AOSP Liquid Jellybean whatsoever.

jonnny68 wrote: »

No lag problem on AOSP Liquid Jellybean whatsoever.

Is that a custom ROM?

Is that a custom ROM?

it certainly is and an amazing ROM it is too :cool:

it certainly is and an amazing ROM it is too :cool:

Might give it a try over the weekend be nice to have root again.

Yeah i recommend it for sure, i rooted my Nexus within an hour of buying it same as my Galaxy S3, people not having root are missing out on so much.:)

Yeah i recommend it for sure, i rooted my Nexus within an hour of buying it same as my Galaxy S3, people not having root are missing out on so much.:)

Wanted to hold of for a couple of weeks as soooo many people were complaing about the build quality of the device just incase I needed to return it. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1770919

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Just got the update on mine - no lag so far and its on stock android.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Well getting 4.2.for me was an experience let's say. Got the notification easily enough but when it tried to install clockwork mod recovery kept saying it was an unsigned zip and refused to install it (or something like that) . In attempting to remove clockwork mod I half bricked the thing and had to resort to trying to manually reinstall the bootloader and the actual image itself. Working perfectly now but after a few hours acting the bolix with it but quite like it so far at least although I haven't properly played with it just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

No problems with my official OTA update and I only have about 4 GBs free. All apps and games that I use are working fine but there may be a few that I havent found yet (Journal app working grand btw)

I added a second user (handy for privacy) and noticed no problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

New Daydream (screensaver) is really cool, I've mine set to display Google Currents when charging, it scrolls the news articles across the screen. There are other options to display colours and picture slideshow.

I've noticed that mine isn't as laggy as it was when I first flashed it, maybe it needed to be official or needed a few reboots. I'll be doing a factory reset over the weekend anyway when I have time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭irishgeo

no lag on mine not rooted and i don the OTA update

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

No lag on mine either. Not rooted either though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

PSA: Cyanogenmod 10's first stable release is available for the Nexus 7.

Available for download here: http://get.cm/?device=grouper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Dudda wrote: »
    About those suffering from lag after the update to 4.2. I got the update OTA from Google last night and it was incredibly slow after so went to bed pissed off. This morning though it was fine. I think it was just checking for updates of apps, logging into apps, checking for notifications, updating widgets and verifying crap after the update all at once and it was fine again after a while once that crap finished and returned to normal cycles. For example the Facebook App was killing the ram after the update but is back to normal now. Hopefully it will stay as speedy as it is now.

Same here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Yep, no root and no lag here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Profiles is such a big change, I can 'safely' share my tablet now, what with PayPal and Bank apps etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ToadVine

doctorg wrote: »
    Asus are now giving €25 to anyone that bought it before 29th OCT cause of the price drop

The Asus website says "The Nexus 7 coupon redemption program is only available in the following countries: France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, United Kingdom".

What are you guys putting in for address? Will this work with and Irish Address?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Anyone know what would be the cheapest/best solution for a wireless display adapter for a tv?Wouldn't mind trying it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dohouch

Are you talking " Miracast", got JB 4.2 today , can I check if "Miracst is on it?

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Anyone know what would be the cheapest/best solution for a wireless display adapter for a tv?Wouldn't mind trying it out.

I'd be very interested in this too. Was on the verge of getting one of those Android in a box solutions but if I can just use Miracast on my Nexus 7, that'd do the job :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

dohouch wrote: »
    Are you talking " Miracast", got JB 4.2 today , can I check if "Miracst is on it?

It would have a wireless display option in display settings.
    But from what I read around the web only the Nexus 4 version of JB 4.2 has the option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dohouch

dloob wrote: »
    But from what I read around the web only the Nexus 4 version of JB 4.2 has the option.

@dloob: Thanks for info, even though it's not exactly what I wanted to hear.

When I bought the Nexus 7, was believing that I would receive all Android updates, looks like I was wrong about that.

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

Where's currently the best place to pick up a 32GB model?

I am going to get my mother a tablet for Christmas and I'll swap my 16GB into the box. Cheeky I know but it's only a few weeks old and like brand new.

• Advertisement

Where's currently the best place to pick up a 32GB model?

I am going to get my mother a tablet for Christmas and I'll swap my 16GB into the box. Cheeky I know but it's only a few weeks old and like brand new.

Off you go.. introduce yourself: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58479654

---

Anyone else getting this with Titanium since an 'update', rather than a full flash?

4pointtwotitaniumerror.gif

Titanium offers an update of SuperUser, but I prefer using SuperSU.

There is Root, as everything else with Root is acting as it should, but Titanium can't see it.

USB memory stick access is down too.

Both problems are floating about with Rooted Nexus 7 users on XDA, but it is hard to tell how widespread.. and under what circumstances, update or full image etc.

Amalgam wrote: »
    Anyone else getting this with Titanium since an 'update', rather than a full flash?

4pointtwotitaniumerror.gif

Of course, you are not rooted and the Nexus root tool doesn't work for 4.2 yet. Give it time.

Performed an OTA update. I was rooted just fine.. and as far as I can tell, I am rooted now. It is a Titanium issue, for the moment.

Useful post there dude. How is it being stingy? I need one with more storage. It's a couple of weeks old tablet yes - better than a cheap ass one and the reason I am giving something at all is to have something for Christmas day rather than waiting 2 months for her actual present which is a trip to see her brother in Germany:rolleyes:

My original question still stands if anyone can help. Open to buying anywhere really if there's anywhere that has a decent deal or some extras. I know it's quite hard with the RRP the same for the most part.

Performed an OTA update. I was rooted just fine.. and as far as I can tell, I am rooted now. It is a Titanium issue, for the moment.

You sure, try do something that requires root, update Adaway or something. I was rooted and lost root after the update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Useful post there dude. How is it being stingy? I need one with more storage. It's a couple of weeks old tablet yes - better than a cheap ass one and the reason I am giving something at all is to have something for Christmas day rather than waiting 2 months for her actual present which is a trip to see her brother in Germany:rolleyes:

My original question still stands if anyone can help. Open to buying anywhere really if there's anywhere that has a decent deal or some extras. I know it's quite hard with the RRP the same for the most part.

Where are you based ?

Ste- wrote: »
    Where are you based ?

Why so:pac:

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You sure, try do something that requires root, update Adaway or something. I was rooted and lost root after the update.

Read a tweet today that SU is having problems but I think SuperSU should still work ?
    Hang fire anyway updates should be plentiful the more people that update to 4.2.

Why so:pac:

So we can advise which shops might have them.
    HMV henry st do for example but if you're in Cork that's shag all use to you is it!
    :P

So we can advise which shops might have them.
    HMV henry st do for example but if you're in Cork that's shag all use to you is it!
    :P

I'm in Clonmel mostly, HMV seems to be the best option from reading around alright. I'll surely be passing one at some stage over the next few weeks!

Thanks

Read a tweet today that SU is having problems but I think SuperSU should still work ?
    Hang fire anyway updates should be plentiful the more people that update to 4.2.

It's SuperSU that I have that's not working, it's deffo not rooted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

dloob wrote: »

This seems to be case alright :(
    In fact, while Google claims the Nexus 10 can utilize it, the option is entirely absent. According to Ars Technica, a Google rep has stated the feature could be enabled in a future software update, but no indication was given as to when that might happen. The option is also missing from Nexus 7s and Galaxy Nexuses that have been updated to Android 4.2. This may be due to a lack of Miracast certification. It's unclear when or if the option will roll out.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/11/16/so-what-is-this-miracast-thing-and-how-does-it-work-anyway/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Titanium updated today, should solve your problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭celticsfan

Hi Guys

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong thread. Im buying one of these as a gift for someone.. Ive looked around the android forum on here and not really found an answer... Just wondering if i get one of these will you be able to access the play store to download magazines,rent movies etc? I know we are limited to just the apps in Ireland at the minute...but is there a way we can get the full play store via vpn or something as i seen mentioned on a few threads before..?

Any help or advice would be great?

Cheers

The Play Store is on the cards soon.. it is live in other European countries, so.. it'll either be late 2012, or early 2013 sometime.

My wish is for easy access (say.. Tesco) to Google Play Gift\Top up cards, so I can top up my Google Wallet and kiss 3V goodbye..

• Advertisement
Advertisement