Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Angus cross calves

• 31-07-2012 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I have a first time calver, calved in March. She is 1/4 Angus and had a Red Angus bull calf to a PB Sim bull. You might wonder what the problem is - well when will it start to grow into a decent animal.
    The heifers mother breeds a decent calf, loads of milk and easy handled & the bull is throwing superb calves to cows with Sim, Ch and BB breeding.

This is by far the worst calf we have and need to know what's going to become of it. Dodthey take a burst later in life and catch up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Dont know when the calf will start to grow, but I expect it will never grow into a "monster" Should be nice for your own freezer though? Did you get your tractor back yet? Nigel in Cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

Caffrey78 wrote: »
    I have a first time calver, calved in March. She is 1/4 Angus and had a Red Angus bull calf to a PB Sim bull. You might wonder what the problem is - well when will it start to grow into a decent animal.
    The heifers mother breeds a decent calf, loads of milk and easy handled & the bull is throwing superb calves to cows with Sim, Ch and BB breeding.

This is by far the worst calf we have and need to know what's going to become of it. Dodthey take a burst later in life and catch up.

If ya don't want it I'll take it off your Hands!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Caffrey78

I think I'll hold onto it for now, but thanks for the offer.
    Disappointing to see such a poor calf after all the hype around AA breeds and meat quality. There's no reason for it to be the way it is. It's been dosed regularly, the heifer has lots of milk and it still refuses to grow.

Iver - The tractor debacle continues. I went Saturday to collect her, after being told that she was finished. I tried to take her for a spin but couldn't get 2nd & 3rd. Eventually when this was kind of sorted I headed up the road only to find the hi lo split in each gear was plumbed backwards!! I left her there and will be ringing later this evening to see what the latest is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

Caffrey78 wrote: »
    I think I'll hold onto it for now, but thanks for the offer.
    Disappointing to see such a poor calf after all the hype around AA breeds and meat quality. There's no reason for it to be the way it is. It's been dosed regularly, the heifer has lots of milk and it still refuses to grow.

Iver - The tractor debacle continues. I went Saturday to collect her, after being told that she was finished. I tried to take her for a spin but couldn't get 2nd & 3rd. Eventually when this was kind of sorted I headed up the road only to find the hi lo split in each gear was plumbed backwards!! I left her there and will be ringing later this evening to see what the latest is.

Better than a chaorlais at least he is not a big dead one! Once he's alive in my book that's a winner, no point in having a big dead one.

Advertisement