Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to bring the folks in Cork?

Options
  • 31-07-2012 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

I live near Cork City (not from Cork) and my parents are paying a visit for a week. Any suggestions of any nice towns to visit? We've been to Kinsale. They heard Cobh was nice. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

There's the Jameson Distillery in Midleton. I think there is a restraunt there also so you could double up with a tour and a bite to eat afterwards.

Barryscourt Castle in Carrigtwohill.

If the weather is nice Ballycotten is always a great area for a walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Skybox

The tour of the Jameson distillery is quite nice. Lovely place called the Farmgate Cafe in Midleton that I would definitely recommend for lunch.

Other places I would recommend if they are around for the week is to go to Blarney for the day. Plenty to do out there in terms of the Blarney Stone, Castle and grounds, Blarney Woolen Mills, etc.

St Francis Cathedral and a walk around the grounds of UCC can be nice if you get the weather, fingers crossed!!! Other places that you could try if you get the weather is Fota Wildlife Park and Fota Gardens (easily accessible by train).

The Old English Market is one of a kind (there is also a Farmgate Cafe upstairs there, same owners!) and is somewhere I would always pop into to kill an hour or so!!!

The Old City Gaol up by Sunday's Well also has an interesting tour that can be done on a rainy day and in the event of a rainy day there is a host of great pubs in the city that will no doubt have the fires going!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

Cobh is well worth a visit. Buy them lunch in 'The Water's Edge'.
    Cathedral/Titanic exhibition/Spike Island
    Fota Wildlife Park on the way??

http://visitcobh.com/index.php/2010/12/10/welcome-to-cobh/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

- What about visiting the Butter Exchange, Shandon Bells & Cork City Gaol? (three things I must do some day myself). There all close to each other & I bet interesting
    - Cobh has the Titanic experience among other things, a few of my relatives went there two weeks ago while down in Cork for the weekend. They were really impressed with it.
    - Head down to Fota Golf club for a bite to eat (nice location) after a walk around the Fota wildlife park?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

The jury is still out in another thread about Cobh on weather or not you will get hassled by drunk junkies looking for a euro outside a certain pub while fishing up the hill at the train station. If going to Cobh you might want to make out to the lcoals that your a gang from Midleton or Carrigtwohill down for a bit of crack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

angeline wrote: »
    I live near Cork City (not from Cork) and my parents are paying a visit for a week. Any suggestions of any nice towns to visit? We've been to Kinsale. They heard Cobh was nice. Thanks.

If you have transport, you could always head west. Clonakilty and Skibbereen are worth the trip. Sitting in the square in Baltimore with a pizza and glass of red from 'La Jolie Brize' is some people's idea of heaven.

Heading east from the city, Ballycotton is nice for a stroll on the quay, or the cliff-walk is great in good weather (some hope!)

The hotel there does good food.

Killarney is less than an hour by car, and Kenmare is not much further - if your parents haven't been to Killarney before, then I'd start there - otherwise head for Kenmare.

Hope you get some decent weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

- What about visiting the Butter Exchange, Shandon Bells & Cork City Gaol? (three things I must do some day myself). There all close to each other & I bet interesting

Shandon Bells and the Gaol are both good choices. I would avoid the Butter Museum. We took family there last time they were in (we had never been) and it was a bad choice.

Unless you really like mediocre, two room museums... or have an utter fascination with butter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

The titanic exhibition in Cobh is most definitely not worth a visit. It's very basic and expensive for what is essentially two rooms with some photographs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

cripes, and I love the butter museum. Real quirky little place, I've never seen a museum like it. And the building is fab. I love it, bring people there all the time.

I guess you need an interest in Dairy maybe, or architecture. If they have a farming background they might like it.

UCC and St finbarrs are interesting to look around, depending on weather. The hop-on hop off bus is great for an easy way of getting around the city. It goes to the city gaol (great tour there), UCC, Shandon Bells, st. finbarrs etc... very good for getting your bearings around the city. It is a recording playing on it with the history, so you can’t ask questions unfortunetly.

Are they into boats at all? There are really great kayak tours of cork harbour and kinsale. There's an evening one through the city as well, depending on tide. http://www.atlanticseakayaking.com/
    and http://h2oseakayaking.com/

If they prefer to be standing or sitting on the boat rather than paddling it, there are some good boat tours of the harbour as well.
    http://whaleofatime.net/ Is it just you and your parents, or have you family and friends about as well? You can book the boat for a few hours with a driver, and put 10 or so people on it. They are really helpful, ou can tell them where you want to go around the coast, or they can suggest a few places. They pick you up anywhere in the harbour, and drop you wherever you want as well. If you’ve them for a whole day you can get dropped off at some lovely remote piers with old pubs on them for lunch, then off looking at dolphins. It’s a good day out anyway.

http://www.safari.ie/tours-information.html
    These do harbour tours, pay per person rather than the whole boat. They do cork harbour, kinsale, dolphin trips etc.

If they want to stay off the water, head into cork city for the english market. Wander about and get maybe some smoked salmon from heddermans, or have an oyster or two at o'connells. Then sit upstairs in the farmgate and have a cup of tea while watching people below. Or go over to one of the O'Conail chocolate places on french church street for a hot chocolate.

Also good fun for a night tour is the Ghost Tour of Kinsale. This leaves at 9pm from the Tap Tavern in kinsale and it’s a great laugh, especially if your tour guide is David Pears. (He’s an abbey theatre actor and a great source of entertainment). There is a girl called angela in the kinsale tourism office as well who is super helpful and can recommend loads of stuff around there to do.

Advertisement