Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bog defeats Shell drilling machine.

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

mayotom wrote: »
    TheChizler wrote: »
    In fairness the construction crews and disruption would be out of the way a lot sooner if they weren't constantly blocked. Do the protesters consider the locals who don't support their cause? Their lives are made much worse by delays and disruptions caused by protesters. I appreciate the importance of protest in general, but at this stage it's clear that the project IS going to be completed, there's no point denying that. Any further protests are just driving up costs/reducing profits for the state and inconveniencing locals.

That's the biggest shame of all, Thanks to Ray Burke and Bertie Ahern, The Irish state will receive ZERO royalties on corrib gas and most of the other gas and oil finds that have been discovered off our coast in recent years. That along with favourable taxation for oil companies (berties legacy)on all international income these companies bring little or nothing to Ireland.
    In most of the world the minimum that any state receives on natural resources is 20% but quiet often upto 50% this would have gone a long way to reducing our sovereign debt, but once again the people have been screwed
    I'm talking about the element that the company can claim back against Vat. Any extra costs involved in setting up, delays etc can be claimed back, thus decreasing the state's profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

TheChizler wrote: »
    I'm talking about the element that the company can claim back against Vat. Any extra costs involved in setting up, delays etc can be claimed back, thus decreasing the state's profit.

I agree, just less and less for the state every day while they spend more and more on security every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

That is a totally different situation, those gas lines carry processed/refined gas which is relatively stable.
    While the Corrib gas line is carrying unprocessed and very unstable gas to the refinery. something which has never been done anywhere in the world, the gas is normally refined at sea. This is the big issue that most residents have. A lot of people are in favor with bringing the gas into the area, but just not the method that is been used. Litterally a not in my back yard situation, but with genuine concern, think of all the times that hundreds of people have been killed by explosions on oil lines in Nigeria, that has been due to attacks on the pipelines, but is shows how dangerous things are when things go wrong. The Corrib pipeline was originally going through dozens of people's back yards. Could you sleep knowing that that timebomb was in your garden
    Not most, not by a long chalk my boy. Most do not support the protestors and the crusties.
    It was never going through peoples back yards, thats just more lies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

"A child has been lodged in the Tunnel of Goats… If a nurse could please come to the Tunnel of Goats… A goat and a child have now become lodged together, and a nurse has become involved in the incident… Another nurse is required to remove the nurse mentioned previously…"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

SocSocPol wrote: »
    It was never going through peoples back yards, thats just more lies.

where's yer evidence for that little gem? is 'on someone's farmland at the back of their house' not technically a 'back yard' or am i missing something?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Is there any video footage or pictures of the lorry jack knifing and getting stuck??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

artyeva wrote: »
    where's yer evidence for that little gem? is 'on someone's farmland at the back of their house' not technically a 'back yard' or am i missing something?:confused:
    You made the claim that the pipeline was to run through peoples backyard, you prove the claim!
    And no btw a pipline in a field hundreds of metres from a house is not in that houses "backyard".
    Bring the gas ashore like the majority of the locals and the country want.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

The average home owner wont see anything from this gas though.

Its not like gas bills will come down in price.

Sure Bord Gais are ramping up their prices by another 8% as of next month.

And the CER will let it happen too.,,like they allways do.:mad::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

but refine it at sea like normal practice. oh no but they couldn't do that nor could the irish government or any of those who gave planning permission have the bottle to tell them to do so. i've a nice coal fire so couldn't care a less if it never comes ashore, its not as if its going to benefit the economy or the country very much once the construction is finished. the people working will pay tax but the proffits from the gas will mostly go to shell and the rest to corrupt politicians for their cronies. the people of ireland will always lose out, sooner you realise that the better.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

but refine it at sea like normal practice. oh no but they couldn't do that nor could the irish government or any of those who gave planning permission have the bottle to tell them to do so. i've a nice coal fire so couldn't care a less if it never comes ashore, its not as if its going to benefit the economy or the country very much once the construction is finished. the people working will pay tax but the proffits from the gas will mostly go to shell and the rest to corrupt politicians for their cronies. the people of ireland will always lose out, sooner you realise that the better.

So these particular corrupt politicians will siphon off the many millions of euros of income tax from revenue and gift it to their friends? Without triggering any alarms or suspicions of government staff? Do they know the bank account details or something? Which corrupt politicians by the way? You seem to know something we don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

You made the claim that the pipeline was to run through peoples backyard, you prove the claim!
    And no btw a pipline in a field hundreds of metres from a house is not in that houses "backyard".

All the claims you make are at best inaccurate. Comparing the corribe gas line to any other in Ireland is silly as they are completely different.
    Stating that the majority of people in Ireland and indeed Erris want this pipeline is not fact just your opinion. I would assume that most people in Ireland are now indifferent to what happens to the gas line they are more than likely aware that this is not going to make much difference to our economy and that Shell will be able to bulldoze their way through any problems that arise. I would also be of the opinion that many of the people in Erris were initally opposed to the pipe line due to the way it is been carried through pipe lines to be refined on shore, however over time most of these people have came to the reliasation that Shell will win that they have the money, power and resources to get their way come what may. Erris has really felt the resession and to many the gas project provides a means to an end, a way to make a living, so they have probably put whatever concerns behind them and moved on hoping that it will boost their local economy, something you can not blame them for especially considering any battle against Shell will be a waste of time, money and energy.

With all due respect you really have no concept of what a back yard is to landowners. People who own land literally class the fields around them as their back yard, to you it would be your garden because that is what you own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

if you bothered to find out anything at all about what you're talking about you'd know that the original plan for the pipeline was to have it going within tens, not hundreds of metres and it some cases less, of some of the houses in rossport, over the land that they own and farm. in any logical sense that's 'backyard'. you may live in an urban area, your backyard may be 4 metres from your house. this is rural mayo, we have bigger back yards ;)

that original plan was described by many experts, far more knowledgable than you or i as unsafe and unsuitable at that distance. the corrib project's own 'experts' deemed an area within 200 metres of the raw gas pipline as unsafe in one of the bord pleanala hearings. this is not the meek little gas pipe that brings gas to yer house at a pressure of around 4 bar - this is raw untreated [some argue unstable] gas in a pipe at a pressure of 144 bar, on bogland that if you walk over it, you bounce - cause it's that unstable. it's taken many many years to get the powers that be to see some semblance of sense and agree that for the moment, with the siting of the terminal where it is, that maybe the underground tunnel is the best bet in order not to kill anyone.... that remains to be seen!!

having said that, if you lived in this area, no matter how much you agree with the pipe or not in theory, or how many of your family members are employed by sub-contractors of the project... it's very very very hard to agree with the tactics and antics of shell and the project as a whole. why don't you come down for a visit and have a look around for yerself? we're a warm and welcoming county ;):p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

That's the biggest shame of all, Thanks to Ray Burke and Bertie Ahern, The Irish state will receive ZERO royalties on corrib gas and most of the other gas and oil finds that have been discovered off our coast in recent years. That along with favourable taxation for oil companies (berties legacy)on all international income these companies bring little or nothing to Ireland. Just millions in costs to police the whole thing.
    In most of the world the minimum that any state receives on natural resources is 20% but quiet often upto 50% this would have gone a long way to reducing our sovereign debt, but once again the people have been screwed

I do believe you are talking out of your anus. Shell will pay 25% royalties after costs have been taken care of. Estimates it will benefit the economy 1.7 billion (link). Considering the initial outlay needed to find oil (especially in the sea) and to extract it, this isn't a particularly bad deal. Also there's the boost to local economy with jobs building the gas line etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

25 % is not a good deal, we should be getting 60 to 90 % . we can get it, shell want the gas so will do whatever it takes to get it.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

25 % is not a good deal, we should be getting 60 to 90 % . we can get it, shell want the gas so will do whatever it takes to get it.

You obviously have no idea how difficult it is to find fossil fuel resources.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/column-for-now-ireland%E2%80%99s-oil-reserves-are-best-off-in-private-hands-256444-Oct2011/
    Roughly since the late 60s there has been about 130 test holes drilled in Irish waters. Of these four have produced commercial finds. Corrib and three off Kinsale. This equates to a strike rate of about 1 in 30. So in theory to find gas in Ireland you have to sink 30 wells to get 1 strike. No commercial finds of oil have yet to be found in Ireland. Compare this to Norway where the strike rate is 1 in 4. Now coupled to this Ireland’s acreage tends to be in the Atlantic, deep, rough and therefore expensive to drill (an exploration drill in the Atlantic costs about €50 million, so if you had to do that 30 times it will cost €1.5 billion) compared to the shallower North Sea

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I do believe you are talking out of your anus. Shell will pay 25% royalties after costs have been taken care of. Estimates it will benefit the economy 1.7 billion (link). Considering the initial outlay needed to find oil (especially in the sea) and to extract it, this isn't a particularly bad deal. Also there's the boost to local economy with jobs building the gas line etc...

so where is 25% in that article, the fact is Ireland gets zero royalties, Yes profits are taxable, however thanks to a little bill which passed in 1991 and proposed by Bertie Ahern, Shell have the ability to funnel international expenses through their Irish subsidiary . therefore there will be Zero profit and therefore zero tax income. Statements by Conor Lenihan and his FF buddies have largely proven to be complete and utter BS. If we were to believe what they were saying 3-4 years ago, Ireland would still be a booming nation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We were in Mayo when all this started, or, rather, just before. The locals truly believed that the coming of corrib would revitalise north Mayo. Jobs for all.. as they also believed in Killybegs for a similar reason

When it came to it they brought in their own people and in Killybegs, even their own food supplies etc. No benefit to the local community.

Incredible that that was ten years ago and the corrib thing is still going.

NB Loved Rossport... lovely wee place it was in those days. Glad we left when we did.

so where is 25% in that article, the fact is Ireland gets zero royalties, Yes profits are taxable, however thanks to a little bill which passed in 1991 and proposed by Bertie Ahern, Shell have the ability to funnel international expenses through their Irish subsidiary . therefore there will be Zero profit and therefore zero tax income. Statements by Conor Lenihan and his FF buddies have largely proven to be complete and utter BS. If we were to believe what they were saying 3-4 years ago, Ireland would still be a booming nation

Do you have any evidence for the above? Becasue I don't believe a word of it

Could you provide a little more detail please? I understand how that works for multinationals who set up administrative headquarters here but I don't know how to apply it to companies dealing in resources.

Advertisement