Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work in the sector without degree?

Options
  • 31-07-2012 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Im an Arts Graduate (English Literature & Media Studies) but really want to go into Medicine - Looking like a long hard route right now tbh. If im unsucessful by 2014, I'll likely settle for becoming a Paramedic.

In the meantime Id LOVE to get a (paid) job in any kind of medical enviroment, a hospital/a lab assistant/HCA/ medical adminsitration - Anything.

However everywhere I look you need either a degree in science/ at least 5 years experience/ typing qualification even. Obviously I have none of these :(

Anyone know where I could look for these kinda jobs where someone might take a chance on me? Where degrees or a million years experience isnt necessary?Im based in Northern Ireland.

Thanks guysss :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Some places will take you on as a HCA without qualification, but they are few and far between and usually will pay a lot less than the going rate. Your best bet there is to contact as many nursing homes/care homes as you can and see if they will let you start for experience and maybe offer training along the way? I'm not much more help than that I'm afraid, sorry :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Have you considered working elsewhere but volunteering with any of the voluntary ambulance services such as the Order of Malta, St. John's ambulance etc.? In return for your volunteering you'll be given training, qualifications and experience - always a plus on any application.

Advertisement