Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

increased data usage on mobile bb?

• 31-07-2012 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

I have an O2 hotshot mobile wifi device which has previously served my needs, running my phone and netbook. Billpay, €20 month, 15GB data usage.

Then I got a Samsung SMART TV and ran up a big bill using RTE Player and UTube last month. €136. I know this is my own fault, at 2.03 cent per kb over, I think I was 6MB over my data allowance.

My question is, are there any mobile broadband device with higher data limits? I checked the main broadband providers webpages but higher allowances always require a physical line into the building? I live in a very remote area and do not have a landline.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Are there any fixed wireless providers in your area. I get my broadband via fixed wireless because the fixed lines are hardly capable of supporting voice let alone broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Fixed wireless would be ideal but gotta be in line of site of a mast check for that first... http://www.digiweb.ie/ is one but there's some scattered around the midlands and various locations.

If not mobile/3g is your best option... As far as i know o2 is the worst for limits then voda then meteor then 3

60gb is the max (that I know of) and 3 supplies that for 30eu a month

I use Meteor 50Gb a month myself for 25 since it get the best coverage in my area, all these mobile services are dependable on the networks reception in your area and congestion... best to try and find out what network works best in the area and find the biggest data plan

+ 2c per Kb is a farce! bloody o2 need to sort that

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭XrayMike235

Thanks for the replies and apologies for the delay in getting back, was out of contact for most of the week. Unfortunately it doesn't look like there are any fixed wireless providers in my area. Digiweb can only offer me their Tooway service (8GB download limit) as I am not covered by digiweb metro.

Westnet seems to be the other option but previous boards threads (as recent as July 2012) have been littered with complaints about poor speeds and connections.

I don't think the 3G is an option for me as the telly works off a WiFi signal. Although to be honest I don't really know the difference between WiFi and 3G.

And my mistake, O2 extra data charge is 2.03cent per MB not kb, so €20 per GB (the same as vodafone and three). You go 5.7 GB over like I did, it'll cost ya €116 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Westnet seems to be the other option but previous boards threads (as recent as July 2012) have been littered with complaints about poor speeds and connections.

(

Westnet seem to be pretty good and responsive, they even have a rep here on boards who you can talk to directly.

Advertisement