Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a problem (Soccer Forum related)

Options
  • 31-07-2012 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭

From a business perspective it is not the smart move at all and I dunno how you can't see that, it is possible you just like to take the opposite side to whatever the majority here may think of course?

A poster makes this comment in the SF in reply to me. I have previously been accused of trolling. I report this post and nothing has been done. The poster in question actually tried to edit his post to remove the last part because he knows what he's done but I catch him in time.
    My list has grown by one member tonight, almost up to ten! Wahey!

Same poster a short while later. He is on about his ignore list here. I report the post, nothing is done. 2 posts in a short spell of time (not even a few hours) and nothing is done. Why?

Here is the charter.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73160788&postcount=4
    Policy on Back-Seat Modding

If you believe a post is in breach of the charter then you should report it, and move on. If you engage the poster on his/her breach of the charter you risk infraction for back-seat modding.

-Examples of back-seat modding include:
    -Calling someone a troll
    -Telling a poster not to post in a thread, or they should post elsewhere
    -Telling a poster you have reported their post (effectively accusing them of a breach of the charter)
    -Commenting on a breach of charter
    -Informing a user that you have/will be putting them on your ignore list.
    -Advising others to do the same.

This list is not exhaustive, and mod discretion may be applied in cases where the intent is judged to be helpful (for example, telling another user they should use spoiler tags for score updates, and showing them how to do so).

The rule of thumb should always be to leave moderation to the mods.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

People who actually post that they've put someone on their ignore list are idiots imo, and that's before even getting to the merit of lists themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Xavi6 wrote: »
    People who actually post that they've put someone on their ignore list are idiots imo, and that's before even getting to the merit of lists themselves.

Yeah it happens a lot in the Man Utd forum. The poster in my OP hasn't come out and said it straight, but everyone knows what he means. I've put people on ignore but never said it in a thread. Basically trying to say "You're a retard"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Would you not just PM the SF Mods to discuss?

Antares wrote: »

Because it happens too often. This should be preserved for my complaints. I have another coming up! It's a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

You have often told people you reported them and here is another example here:
    Samich wrote: »
    Reported.

Why not highlight it to a mod? You seem to be Spirit of the Seventies part II.

• Advertisement

You have often told people you reported them and here is another example here:

Why not highlight it to a mod? You seem to be Spirit of the Seventies part II.

Yeah, I should have gotten a yellow. Thanks for strengthening my argument :)

Also I got a yellow for something before and got this note with the yellow.
    You've questioned red cards, bannings and such on thread a few times. Please take it to feedback if you have a problem with the moderation and subsequent actions.

So here I am.

Same poster again in the Man Utd thread
    How the interview go?

Other poster replies back with his answer.

Off topic posting.

Antares wrote: »

Just on this, I've sent them all PM's before but got no replies. I now only look at the one thread (my teams megathread) on the soccer forum because the rest of it is just too much trouble to deal with.

Edited to add: Oh, and Samich, I think you may be takin the p*** a little saying that asking someone how'd the interview go is OT. It's a community forum after all

Just on this, I've sent them all PM's before but got no replies. I now only look at the one thread (my teams megathread) on the soccer forum because the rest of it is just too much trouble to deal with.

A few months ago I did this aswell and got no replies. But they've gotten new mods since. The posts I've reported that have broken the charter haven't been carded yet. (I'll go look now)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

A few months ago I did this aswell and got no replies. But they've gotten new mods since. The posts I've reported that have broken the charter haven't been carded yet. (I'll go look now)

PM them and ask why it's allowed (CIVILLY). Honestly they probably didn't think twice about it but it might have been context they were missing or what have you.

Plus you learn why it's allowed if it is allowed, so win win

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

Off topic posting.
    as you were in this thread..http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056709841

pot meet kettle.

Possibly the mod's in the soccer forum might have you on ignore?

PM them and ask why it's allowed (CIVILLY). Honestly they probably didn't think twice about it but it might have been context they were missing or what have you.

Plus you learn why it's allowed if it is allowed, so win win

Thing is, if I do it I'd get a card because I'm seen as a troll by all the die hards in the thread. i.e all the die hards would report my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Same poster again in the Man Utd thread

Other poster replies back with his answer.

Off topic posting.

Ah now in all fairness that's pretty harmless stuff. If anything it helps break up the fairly heated debate going on.

If you're reporting something like that it looks like you're just waiting for a reason to report people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Thing is, if I do it I'd get a card because I'm seen as a troll by all the die hards in the thread. i.e all the die hards would report my post.

You won't get a card for PMing a mod unless you're abusive?

Schism wrote: »
    Ah now in all fairness that's pretty harmless stuff. If anything it helps break up the fairly heated debate going on.

If you're reporting something like that it looks like you're just waiting for a reason to report people.

Breaking the charter is breaking the charter. Same rules for everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Schism wrote: »

I agree.

The team super threads on the SF are gigantic mish-mashes of intertwining conversations. The little bit of off topic posting that goes on in them is nearly always a good thing (for relieving tensions, building community, etc.) and the mods usually let it flow. What Samich is complaining about there is clearly a non-issue.

Pro. F wrote: »
    I agree.

The team super threads on the SF are gigantic mish-mashes of intertwining conversations. The little bit of off topic posting that goes on in them is nearly always a good thing (for relieving tensions, building community, etc.) and the mods usually let it flow. What Samich is complaining about there is clearly a non-issue.

Why not let the mods decide?

The charter is the charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I think you missed this part of the charter:
    The moderators will not only be looking at the word of the charter when reviewing posts but at the spirit in which a post or a number of posts are made.

Blatter wrote: »
    I think you missed this part of the charter:

Backseat modding is breaking the charter no matter how you look at it. I actually got a yellow for it a few mins ago and the other posts are still left there :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Be aware that we aren't just sitting about doing nothing. Clearly there is an issue and we as a mod team are actively discussing it at the moment.

• Advertisement

G.K. wrote: »
    Be aware that we aren't just sitting about doing nothing. Clearly there is an issue and we as a mod team are actively discussing it at the moment.

Ok thanks. :)

Backseat modding is breaking the charter no matter how you look at it. I actually got a yellow for it a few mins ago and the other posts are still left there :rolleyes:

I was talking about the OT posts you were that whining about.

OT posts would typically be infracted if they a) had the potential to drag the thread wildly off topic and/or b) were posted with the intention to rile people.

And that's the way it should be, IMO it would be ridiculous to start handing out infractions for the harmless OT posts that you were crying over.

I was talking about the OT posts you were that whining about.

OT posts would typically be infracted if they a) had the potential to drag the thread wildly off topic and/or b) were posted with the intention to rile people.

And that's the way it should be, IMO it would be ridiculous to start handing out infractions for the harmless OT posts that you were crying over.

Off topic is off topic, there's no distinction in the charter. How is anyone supposed to stay within the boundaries of the charter if it's open to interpretation like you seem to think it is.

Off topic is off topic, there's no distinction in the charter. How is anyone supposed to stay within the boundaries of the charter if it's open to interpretation like you seem to think it is.

By not acting like a dick, fairly simple tbh.

By not acting like a dick, fairly simple tbh.

Ha, but it's still ok to break the charter?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Because this is a feedback thread.

You do come out with some gems sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Samich, first of all I just want to say that I am here to offer advice, not to have a go, you can take it or leave it, of course thats up to you.

I dont see why you refer to others in the thread as "the regulars" or "the die-hards" when you yourself have 210 posts in the thread, only Kryogen has more (lets be honest, he's a regular die-hard). You seem to have a paranoia that everyone is out to get you, let me assure you that that only happens when you get into those big "tail-spin/reply to everything" discussions.

I said a few days ago that was enjoying your posts, as that day you were on-point and making sense, but it's almost like a different poster when someone disagrees with you, you get snappy and start digging a hole, and THEN everyone chimes in with their opinion on you/your views as it seems as though you HAVE to reply to each and every one like its a personal attack on you, and this is when the thread gets terrible for around 10 pages, we have seen it 4 times in the last week.

I don't have a problem with you, I take every post at face value, but it seems to me that everything will be fine if you just tone down the volume of your posts and think the rest of them out. I know you've got decent things to say, I've seen them. But when you reply to everyone is when you come out with posts like the one where you complained about the Job interview, come on man, off-topic? Yes, but it's a big deal to a regular poster so it's common courtesy to engage him, like when I get humoured over my sigs. That was a bit of a dick move and the other posters didn't take to it. It would have been so much easier to just let it go.

You might think that I have no business in here or whatever but really I'm just calling it as I see it, I'm offering you advice which by no means do you have to take, basically I just wanted to add my 2 cents as to what would make the thread go smoother.

Of course I'm going to reply to each and every post that's aimed at me, why wouldn't I?

Yes I'm 2nd highest poster, that doesn't make a difference.

It's one rule for one, another for the rest. A mod told me he looked at the posts I reported and seen nothing wrong with them..

Time to change the charter then.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,258 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Samich, at some point you also need to look at your own posting style, rather than just criticising everyone else, including mods.

yes, on a very literal level, there is an argument for many of the posts you've highlighted to maybe be actioned against. but only a Nazi would want some of those posts actioned against, as they're not doing anything to disrupt the forum. while the charter is important - when it comes to backseat modding or trolling, it really has to be up to the discretion of the mods. as PHB explained in the Utd thread - perceived intent is taken into account. Paul Tergat being asked about his job interview is off-topic, but it's fine, because it's in-keeping with a friendly spirit that is good for the running of the forum; therefore you'd have to be ridiculous to want to punish it. if it got wildly out of hand, yes, maybe, but it wasn't even close to that.

you seem to be on a one man mission make the Utd forum a battleground. you're not going to win that war. people are engaging with you, largely in a friendly manner, but you have this habit of sniping and trying to pick fights when you don't need to.

try to get along, rather than picking fights, and your opinions will be taken on board a lot better.

my 2 cents. i'm really not trying to get at you; just tell you plainly what my advice would be. take it, or you can completely ignore it. it's up to you.

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    Samich, at some point you also need to look at your own posting style, rather than just criticising everyone else, including mods.

yes, on a very literal level, there is an argument for many of the posts you've highlighted to maybe be actioned against. but only a Nazi would want some of those posts actioned against, as they're not doing anything to disrupt the forum. while the charter is important - when it comes to backseat modding or trolling, it really has to be up to the discretion of the mods. as PHB explained in the Utd thread - perceived intent is taken into account. Paul Tergat being asked about his job interview is off-topic, but it's fine, because it's in-keeping with a friendly spirit that is good for the running of the forum; therefore you'd have to be ridiculous to want to punish it. if it got wildly out of hand, yes, maybe, but it wasn't even close to that.

you seem to be on a one man mission make the Utd forum a battleground. you're not going to win that war. people are engaging with you, largely in a friendly manner, but you have this habit of sniping and trying to pick fights when you don't need to.

try to get along, rather than picking fights, and your opinions will be taken on board a lot better.

my 2 cents. i'm really not trying to get at you; just tell you plainly what my advice would be. take it, or you can completely ignore it. it's up to you.

Well well well, people are engaging with me in a largely friendly manner. I got figures for a transfer from wikipedia once and a poster layed into me for using wikipedia as a source.

Also been told many times I'm talking BS, idiotic, retarded etc.

Why didn't the poster interview the other person about the job interview?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement