Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notifications indications in the tab title bar

Options
  • 31-07-2012 4:18pm

I'm sure the title of this thread doesn't make great sense, but I'll try to explain what I mean. I usually have a few tabs open: GMail, Facebook and Boards, among others. Both GMail and Facebook have a feature that displays a (1) or (2), etc., in the title of the tab when a new notification or email is received. So "Facebook" becomes "(1) Facebook", etc., when I receive a notification.

I love the way Boards now handles notifications for PMs or replies to subscribed threads by showing a number beside my username. Would it be possible to add an option to show that notification in the tab bar, just like Facebook and GMail? It would be a handy feature to have.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Have you made this suggestion before? I was nearly sure I've read a very, very similar request not too long ago :)

We toyed about with the idea of adding notifications to the title of the tab or perhaps to the favicon (the icon on your tab) but nothing as come of it yet. It is on our radar though :)

Danny

Have you made this suggestion before? I was nearly sure I've read a very, very similar request not too long ago :)

Not that I'm aware of! If I have made this request before then I'm having serious issues with my memory. :pac:
    We toyed about with the idea of adding notifications to the title of the tab or perhaps to the favicon (the icon on your tab) but nothing as come of it yet. It is on our radar though :)

Danny

Having it incorporated with the favicon would be a nice idea, too. GMail has that along with what I mentioned above, as I'm sure you know.

Anyway, it's not exactly an urgent or important request, but it's nice to see it's something you have in your radar.

Thanks, Danny. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Danny
    PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Any chance of adding notifications in the browser tab like some sites do Twitter etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,614 ✭✭✭✭28064212

If you use Firefox (with Greasemonkey) or Chrome, I've created a script that would put the number of notifications at the start of the page title. See it here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79826599. Instructions for installing are in the first post of that thread

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement