Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Hotels

Options
  • 31-07-2012 4:18pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend reasonably priced hotels in New York that are central enough to the main sights?

Also what websites do you find best for prices for searching for US hotels?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

The words reasonably priced and central and New York really dont work together. :D

Try priceline.com name your own price for a mystery deal, might work out well. Otherwise splash out - it's New York after all, or ride the subway in each day to see the sights.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GiftGrub100

Stayed in the Staybridge Suites Times Square this June and it is a very nice modern hotel, very clean rooms and only two blocks from Times Square next to the Port Authority and it was not too expensive as room rates include breakfast.

10 mins from Intrepid, 5 mins from Times Square, 5 mins from 42nd Street

There is no such thing as a cheap hotel in New York, but a nice clean hotel is a good find.

http://www.staytimessquare.com/

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g60763-d1465162-Reviews-Staybridge_Suites_Times_Square_New_York_City-New_York_City_New_York.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Prices seem to have shot up in the last couple of years and they were massively expensive before that!

Ive stayed in the Red Roof Inn a few times before. Its a brilliant location, basic enough hotel but perfectly alright. Its located about a block from the Empire State Building:

https://www.redroof.com/property/RRI605/New-York/NY/10001/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

http://www.affinia.com/New-York-City-Hotel.aspx?name=Affinia-Dumont

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g60763-d292142-Reviews-Affinia_Dumont-New_York_City_New_York.html

We just booked this place. We got it for €230 per night as we booked about 17 weeks in advance. This is as cheap as a central hotel gets and if you look at their website you'll see that their rooms are actually quite big which is unusual in New York.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Have a look on travelzoo.com - they often have great deals for NY.

We usually stay in Midtown East - just out of the buzz/chaos of the Times Square area. Favourite hotels there have been The Barclay Intercontinental, The Hyatt Grand Central, and most recently Fitzpatricks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Going to be spending a few nights in NY later this month, so I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread.
    Although I'd happily bunk in a hostel if I can convince herself it wont be completly third world!!

Check out http://www.thepodhotel.com/ for a step up from a hostel...rooms are small, but perfectly formed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭grange mac

stayed in pensilvania hotel ( app bout spelling) over the years on 5th ave close to time sq and accross road from madd sq garden...good spot n good deal...think was hotelpenn.com or smtn like that

grange mac wrote: »
    stayed in pensilvania hotel ( app bout spelling) over the years on 5th ave close to time sq and accross road from madd sq garden...good spot n good deal...think was hotelpenn.com or smtn like that

Google Hotel Pennsylvania and bed bugs...no thanks ;)

athtrasna wrote: »

Google Hotel Pennsylvania and bed bugs...no thanks ;)
    what harm are they....they keep the prices down!!!lol well they hav 3000rooms guess they all cant be perfect never had any problems in 3 stays unless im used to them at this stage....

• Advertisement

what harm are they....they keep the prices down!!!lol well they hav 3000rooms guess they all cant be perfect never had any problems in 3 stays unless im used to them at this stage....

Bedbugs can carry Hepatitis B and have also been known to trigger anaphylactic shock. To say nothing of the risk of the bites becoming infected. If you use Hotwire or Priceline you can often get 4 star hotels for the same price as the Penn.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭mrshopkeeper

. If you use Hotwire or Priceline you can often get 4 star hotels for the same price as the Penn.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/pricewatch/2011/1017/1224305918071.html

Hope its OK for me to link to IT article above re hotwire.

I stayed in the doubletree metropolitan (very close to the aforementioned Barclay) a few times and it was very decent. At the time it was one of the most affordable options. Went upmarket once for a treat to the Gansevoort (celtic tiger madness) and in spite of the madness even at the time I didnt think it was worth it.

I think the trivago website is as good as any for price comparison but I havent used it as of yet. I usually use the hotelscomparison.com website but it can sometimes offer options that can't be booked from ROI.

Love NYC - very jealous.

Bedbugs can carry Hepatitis B and have also been known to trigger anaphylactic shock. To say nothing of the risk of the bites becoming infected. If you use Hotwire or Priceline you can often get 4 star hotels for the same price as the Penn.
    u must b a docter!!!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/pricewatch/2011/1017/1224305918071.html

Hope its OK for me to link to IT article above re hotwire.

There's nothing in that article that worries me about hotwire. I have been using it for almost a decade. The person who complained in the article had clearly just not done their research. I never just book a hotel, I see what deals are available and use betterbidding.com to work out which hotel it is most likely to be. I double check other rates for that hotel and then book with hotwire if it is cheapest. I never go below 4* and have never had a problem but have had massive savings.

It might seem excessive but I love to travel and getting the best value on each trip enables me to take more trips, or stay an extra night. Not everyone might want to put that work into trip planning but I enjoy it.

i agree with the 4star...find in states you can take one star off for irish equilivent. as an irish 3* would be an american 4*

i agree with the 4star...find in states you can take one star off for irish equilivent. as an irish 3* would be an american 4*

Not quite..to qualify for 4* in America they need to have a pool/fitness centre AFAIK (or access to one). Won't find those in too many Irish 3* hotels. The issue is that a lot of websites do their own classifications, Hotwire and Priceline certainly do - so what's a 4* on there could be a 3/3.5* by official standards. I'm sure other websites do similarly - again research is important.

4* or above you will have nice hotels. 3* is such a wide classification, there are really nice 3* hotels, but there are others that are total kips. Fine if you're using a site where you can see the hotel name and can check it out on tripadvisor but on opaque sites I'd never take the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Stayed in the Dylan hotel when I was there. Lovely place, quiet and central. Was only a little more than Pennsylvania hotel. Changed after reading some reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I would recommend Nyma (previously Red Roof Inn) on 32nd St between 5th and 6th. It's right beside 34th St subway station which has lots of lines going through it and it's beside Macy's and the 34th St shopping area.

I have stayed here 3 times and prices are reasonable. You also get free continental breakfast and wifi. It was recently renovated so rooms are decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Bid08

we stayed in the Westin (42nd and 7th I think) you come out through a cinema right accross from Madame Toussands
    Fantastic hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Pythia wrote: »
    I would recommend Nyma (previously Red Roof Inn) on 32nd St between 5th and 6th. It's right beside 34th St subway station which has lots of lines going through it and it's beside Macy's and the 34th St shopping area.

I have stayed here 3 times and prices are reasonable. You also get free continental breakfast and wifi. It was recently renovated so rooms are decent.

Yeah have stayed there a couple of times before and the location is great. Prices seem to have shot up though.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

There's nothing in that article that worries me about hotwire. I have been using it for almost a decade. The person who complained in the article had clearly just not done their research. I never just book a hotel, I see what deals are available and use betterbidding.com to work out which hotel it is most likely to be. I double check other rates for that hotel and then book with hotwire if it is cheapest. I never go below 4* and have never had a problem but have had massive savings.

It might seem excessive but I love to travel and getting the best value on each trip enables me to take more trips, or stay an extra night. Not everyone might want to put that work into trip planning but I enjoy it.

I agree, Hotwire and Priceline are fantastic IF you do your research. It tends to be the same hotels that pop up again and again. There is a good website www.betterbidding.com which gives you tips on how to bid and also can give you an idea of what you’re bidding on.

I used Hotwire to book a hotel in Boston last year, booked a 3 and a half star hotel for $130 per night. Thanks to my research, I was 99% sure it was the Sheraton Back Bay and it was. The price on their own website was $872!

I would definitely use again, especially for an expensive city like Boston or New York where bargains are hard to come across.

Just do your research first, it is possible to get stung.

When I was in New York 2 years ago, we stayed in the Mansfield Hotel, just off 5th Avenue. I booked through a site called yeego.com and got an amazing price of €110 per night, all the other websites I looked at where €180 per night for the same dates. The hotel was fab, rooms were small, but we got a free upgrade to a suite which was mega!

Other websites I like are www.booking.com and www.venere.com a feature I like about booking.com is that most of their hotels don’t require prepayment and can be cancelled without penalty. So you could book something now and cancel if something better came along. Just read the small print, some bookings cannot be cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭mattser

Going to NY in November. Avalon Hotel 32nd St looks good. Anyone been there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Mini

Hi,

I have stayed in two different hotels in NYC.
    Fitzpatricks Hotel Grant Central. Lovely bar and food at the hotel. Full Irish Breakfast available.
    http://www.fitzpatrickhotels.com/grand-central/

Affina Shelburne. Food is mostly burgers, breakfasts are American Breakfasts - if you stay here I would recommend walking a few blocks down to Fitzpatricks to get the full irish. There is a beautiful roof top view of the Chrysler building and Empire Estate.
    http://www.affinia.com/New-York-City-Hotel.aspx?name=Shelburne-Murray-Hill

Friends have stayed in these hotels and have also recommended them to me when I was looking myself.
    Park Central
    http://www.parkcentralny.com/Rooms
    The New Yorker
    http://www.newyorkerhotel.com/

hope you find this helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

** Moving from now defunct US/ Canada Travel forum to USA forum ****

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

Hi there,

We stayed at the Grand Hyatt in June for 7 nights and couldn't say enough good things about it. I flew in from Sydney for the week to meet my mum and sister who flew over from Dublin.

I'm a bargain hunter so looked at lots of websites but still got the best price through the Hyatt's own website during a 48 hour sale.

For a room with 2 double beds it was around $207 a night (3 of us).

Location was fantastic on 42nd St - it's actually attached to Grand Central Station so too easy to hop on the subway and go anywhere, 10 min stroll to Times Square where we ended up most nights for dinner, late night shopping etc, 5 min stroll onto 5th ave, 10 min stroll to the Empire State Building and Macy's etc.

My aunt and cousin swear by Hotel Pennsylvania (but they only go to NY for the 2/3 day Christmas shopping trips and basically just sleep in the hotel and they admit its a no frills kind of hotel) - We ended up getting the Grand Hyatt for about $180 more than what the Hotel Pennsylvania was for the 7 nights and were so glad we spent the bit extra for a lovely clean modern hotel. We were so glad to come back and relax for an hour or two in a lovely room before heading back out for dinner/the evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 clonmacart

Been to NYC twice on hols with my GF..stayed in the New Yorker both times..really good....5 mins from Times Sq..next to Penn station..all the rooms have been upgraded...decent showers & beds....staff are really accomodating (we arrived 2 hrs before check-in...asked could we just drop our bags off whilst we waste 2 hrs..girl sorted our room there & then)...Plus the 'tick tock' diner (open 24hrs) does the most amazing pancakes!

http://www.newyorkerhotel.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭keano007

New Yorker is amazing as is the Paramount.

I've also stayed at the Wyndham Garden, again amazing but expensive. Cheaper hotels that I've stayed with and that are good include the Milford Plaza which is very central and reasonably priced!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 OLD transplant

alan1990 wrote: »
    Going to be spending a few nights in NY later this month, so I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread.
    Although I'd happily bunk in a hostel if I can convince herself it wont be completly third world!!

A kilkenny lad I know stayed in a hostel near Times Square and described it as the worst night he ever spent. He spent the night fully clothed with his bag in the bed with him and didn't close his eyes all night. Not a nice place and not a nice area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Stayed at the New Yorker last week. Great location, rooms are a bit small (which is normal for NYC), but quite expensive (which is also normal for NYC). They do discounts for people who follow them on Twitter or like their FB page, so this is worth looking into.

Has anyone stayed outside of Manhattan in one of the the other boroughs? The subway system is cheap and efficient - would this be a viable option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Central to the sights is really an irrelevant term in NYC......book a hotel that's within your budget and get a subway map.

The subway system is good enough that you can get from anywhere to anywhere in less than an hour.

Advertisement