Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NYC Woodlawn / Woodside

Options
  • 31-07-2012 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey all,

I am moving to NYC in a month’s a time and could do with a bit of advice on finding accommodation. I was living in MA before and this I think that this time I would like to try out living in an ‘Irish area’. I have been told that Woodlawn and Woodside would be the obvious choices for NYC.

My question is would it be hard to find a room to rent in these areas soon enough when I arrive? I know that Craigslist is a great resource for this sort of thing but I can’t imagine that the people renting these places would be too impressed about being contacted by someone who isn’t even in the country yet.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Presuming you are Irish why would you want to live in these areas? Broaden your mind and go somewhere else. Woodlawn is a good trek on the subway to the city as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 FrackMan

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Presuming you are Irish why would you want to live in these areas? Broaden your mind and go somewhere else. Woodlawn is a good trek on the subway to the city as well.

The first time I went to the US that is exactly what I did, I immersed myself in different cultures and had very little contact with any other Irish people. I guess this time I am just looking for a bit of familiarity.

Thank you for your advice on Woodlawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭crashplan

Woodside or Sunnyside in Queens are much closers to the city on the 7 train.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

crashplan wrote: »
    Woodside or Sunnyside in Queens are much closers to the city on the 7 train.

If you are planning to spend any amount of time in Midtown Manhattan or below then definitely Woodside (or Sunnyside) because of the transport options.

I live in Woodside and find it a nice area - not hugely Irish but plenty of irish bars, shops etc and big influx of J1'ers every year.

I think Woodlawn is more "Irishy" but its so far away from anything that I just wouldnt live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Try Astoria. Near the city and not exclusively Irish but a great spot. Lived there briefly and really enjoyed the area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

The one time I was in Woodlawn I found it to be very 'working class' or blue collar for lack of a better word. If that's your scene go for it but it's definately not for everyone. I also found that a lot of younger Irish people have very little in common with a lot of the older Irish American communities in the States in general.

Advertisement