Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People on the Viking Splash tours bus screaming at you

Options
  • 31-07-2012 6:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭

I don't know if it bothers anyone else, maybe I'm just turning into a cranky bastard, but the yellow Viking Splash amphibious bus that drives around town is starting to seriously annoy me. Basically, any time the bus drives by a busy street with cafes on it or a bunch pf people, the driver instructs everybody to scream or cheer at the people on the street. I thought this was odd and funny at first, but for it to happen 6 or 7 times a day, it's really getting old. I work on a street where it passes by you see.

I've never complained to the company or any authorities, because maybe it's good for tourism, and maybe it's a laugh, especially for the younger kids on the bus. I wonder though, if I drove around in a car in Dublin, screaming at people randomly, how long would it take before the Gardai pulled me over, or the Corporation fined me for noise pollution. I wonder what would happen if some old dear was walking along with her cane and got such a shock from the cheering/screaming that she checked out there and then on the street.

Does it annoy any of ye or do ye not mind at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Frightened the sh*te out me a couple of times i tell ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

It can be annoying alright. Was on the bike, suddenly the whole crowd screamed at me, nearly fell of the bike. But I guess, they had fun ;)

I live on a road that it passes by and honestly, it doesn't bother me. It's a nice touch for tourists to get into. The noise of the street cleaning machines I would say is louder and they don't stop at 6 o'clock!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

So used to it now it does'nt even register

Mate of mine saw them all let a roar out which startled a junkie who then f***ked a can of coke at them in retribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Did that a few weeks ago, and it was great fun. Roared at people drinking their lattes, and at tourists who looked lost :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

The city is plagued with drugs, scumbags and random assaults and what annoys you is a few tourists having a bit of fun?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

dan1895 wrote: »
    The city is plagued with drugs, scumbags and random assaults and what annoys you is a few tourists having a bit of fun?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Triangular

They still shout? Scarleh for them

Triangular wrote: »
    They still shout? Scarleh for them

One would presume, most are shouting for the first time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Gary The Gamer

I got the hop on them one day. Threw half a pint (left there) into the yoke as it was flying by. Caused a few of them to scream.

• Advertisement

I got the hop on them one day. Threw half a pint (left there) into the yoke as it was flying by. Caused a few of them to scream.

Just what the tourism industry needs.

Nice work d*ckhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Nice work d*ckhead.

They all wear life jackets, what's the problem? :confused:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I nearly always shout back at them,the tourists on the viking bus love it and it brightens up my day,one of my favourite little things when strolling around town!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Augmerson wrote: »
    but the yellow Viking Splash amphibious bus that drives around town is starting to seriously annoy me.

Bad attitude, should work in health and safety of some civil servant dept.
    I nearly always shout back at them,the tourists on the viking bus love it and it brightens up my day

Good attitude, should work in creative dept of a cool company.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

The next time it happens collapse to the ground and wait until an ambulance arrives, then run off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I don't know if it bothers anyone else, maybe I'm just turning into a cranky bastard, but the yellow Viking Splash amphibious bus that drives around town is starting to seriously annoy me. Basically, any time the bus drives by a busy street with cafes on it or a bunch pf people, the driver instructs everybody to scream or cheer at the people on the street. I thought this was odd and funny at first, but for it to happen 6 or 7 times a day, it's really getting old. I work on a street where it passes by you see.

I've never complained to the company or any authorities, because maybe it's good for tourism, and maybe it's a laugh, especially for the younger kids on the bus. I wonder though, if I drove around in a car in Dublin, screaming at people randomly, how long would it take before the Gardai pulled me over, or the Corporation fined me for noise pollution. I wonder what would happen if some old dear was walking along with her cane and got such a shock from the cheering/screaming that she checked out there and then on the street.

Does it annoy any of ye or do ye not mind at all?

sorry, but you are a cranky bastard. laugh a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I think it's gas, I was watching them on the quays the other day, the driver whispers a countdown into the mic when he spots an unsuspecting victim on the path, 3..2..1..HILARITY.

The reaction of the shocked victim coupled with the irony of whispering into a loudspeaker is just plain funny.

Lighten up OP, surely you need something to kill the monotony of working the corners all day.

Try sitting in an office from 9-5 listening to it up to 10 times a day. Your patience will only go so far. I'm a fairly mellow person, I like to have a laugh, and at first, I thought it was nice to see all the kids and tourists on the bus, but rub a rock off your face long enough and see how nice it is. It's not like any of the other sounds of the city that you get used to and become background noise, like the noise of traffic or people or beeping horns here or there.

I don't think it's a question of being a neurotic cranky bastard, if you were exposed to it that much, you'd be the same, and it's not like I can stick on headphones or earplugs, I need to answer phones etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Try sitting in an office from 9-5 listening to it up to 10 times a day. Your patience will only go so far. I'm a fairly mellow person, I like to have a laugh, and at first, I thought it was nice to see all the kids and tourists on the bus, but rub a rock off your face long enough and see how nice it is. It's not like any of the other sounds of the city that you get used to and become background noise, like the noise of traffic or people or beeping horns here or there.

I don't think it's a question of being a neurotic cranky bastard, if you were exposed to it that much, you'd be the same, and it's not like I can stick on headphones or earplugs, I need to answer phones etc.

true, but whatcha gonna do?

Fuinseog wrote: »
    true, but whatcha gonna do?

Cry about it on Boards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Got on it last year with a few English friends over for holidays.Thought it was gas, At first everyone on it were a bit shy & embarrassed to shout & growl out at people, But with the encouragement & help of the driver we got over it, Up at the christchurch area a few local Dubs stated shouting back ;-) Anyway that's what vikings did and we were vikings for the day :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

... rub a rock off your face long enough and see how nice it is.

I don't think that rubbing a rock off of your face would ever be nice..... not for the majority of us anyway. You- may be different. I can't say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

Keep calm, it's just a laugh.

The kids on the tour enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I just shout at them "scream if you think Enda Kenny's a wanker!"

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Nice work d*ckhead.
    Personal abuse is not acceptable in this forum.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

the yellow Viking Splash amphibious bus ...... the bus drives by a busy street ......... the driver.........6 or 7 times a day........ where it passes
    You seem to think that there is only one bus - there are 6 of them.

I'm amazed that the operator can manage to keep them going as they are adapted from imported 1940's military vehicles. (A friend of mine is one of their drivers).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

My boyfriend's apartment is overlooking the area they sail past on and I'm always tempted to run onto the balcony nude and roar back at them :P

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

^^^^^^

Failte Ireland would thank you if you did that on an hourly basis

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Nah, your a cranky Bast*rd.
    I too deal with it every day, my office is on the route and right beside a traffic light junction where i could hear the same bus shout at 3 different people.

Its tourists having a laugh, and i for one hope it continues :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I presume you never took the tour ? It's interesting and good craic, plus you don't just do the viking roar at random people. It goes by my office too and I always find it amusing.

Advertisement