Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People on the Viking Splash tours bus screaming at you

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Augmerson wrote: »
    Try sitting in an office from 9-5 listening to it up to 10 times a day. Your patience will only go so far. I'm a fairly mellow person, I like to have a laugh, and at first, I thought it was nice to see all the kids and tourists on the bus, but rub a rock off your face long enough and see how nice it is. It's not like any of the other sounds of the city that you get used to and become background noise, like the noise of traffic or people or beeping horns here or there.

I don't think it's a question of being a neurotic cranky bastard, if you were exposed to it that much, you'd be the same, and it's not like I can stick on headphones or earplugs, I need to answer phones etc.

I do sit in an office listening to it five days a week and it doesn't bother me at all. You can't compare the two, one is a noise in the background the other can cause you physical pain. There is no question about it you are a cranky bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Siuin wrote: »
    My boyfriend's apartment is overlooking the area they sail past on and I'm always tempted to run onto the balcony nude and roar back at them :P
    inforfun wrote: »
    ^^^^^^

Failte Ireland would thank you if you did that on an hourly basis
    ....unless Siuin is a 200kg male staying at his boyfriends apartment! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Still would take the tourists attention way from stuff even less desirable than that picture you just painted.

But on topic.... Can imagine it gets a bit old if you work on the route and have the screamers every hour passing by.
    But then again, you could also work on an industrial estate where **** all happens all day.

Everything has its good and bad sides, i suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Got a fright once or twice myself but they're just having a bit of crack on their holidays and hopefully enjoy it enough to keep coming back and spending money.

Far worse indigenous annoyances on the city streets to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

But then it'd be more authentically Viking, no? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm amazed that the operator can manage to keep them going as they are adapted from imported 1940's military vehicles. (A friend of mine is one of their drivers).
    They actually have a lever to determine how hard or soft the tyres are, so that it can move on sand better.
    They'll probably just incorporate it into the trip "...and to the right is an angry naked troll that screams at us when we pass by... legend has it that 300 years ago, he..." :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

You seem to think that there is only one bus - there are 6 of them.

I'm amazed that the operator can manage to keep them going as they are adapted from imported 1940's military vehicles. (A friend of mine is one of their drivers).

I know there is more than one. They are old Soviet-era amphibious transports. Most likely the BAV-485 but I could be wrong. The BAV-485A had a tyre regulation system as Syco mentioned.

Viking Splash Tour Bus
    http://s3-media3.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/yWyOs81RRdoSuMSej0M-Cw/l.jpg
    BAV-485
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/05/BAW.jpg/300px-BAW.jpg

These things were built to last, like most Soviet-era machines, vehicles and weapons of the time. The company made a smart purchase because these would be obsolete now and probably cost feck all, the most money would be spent transporting them to Ireland and getting them road worthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I would suggest a sternly worded letter to the Paper of Record to put manners on these Splashed Scandanavian ruffians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I suffered years of exams in Trinity front square with those bastarding fcukwits screaming every time they stopped at the lights. The tour clearly has designated screaming points :(

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I suffered years of exams in Trinity front square with those bastarding fcukwits screaming every time they stopped at the lights. The tour clearly has designated screaming points :(

"And on your left you'll see a clearly irritated 3rd level Drama student...1, 2, 3....YAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

What you studying?

Superhuman Hearing Studies?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

I know there is more than one. They are old Soviet-era amphibious transports. Most likely the BAV-485 but I could be wrong. The BAV-485A had a tyre regulation system as Syco mentioned.

Viking Splash Tour Bus
    http://s3-media3.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/yWyOs81RRdoSuMSej0M-Cw/l.jpg
    BAV-485
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/05/BAW.jpg/300px-BAW.jpg

These things were built to last, like most Soviet-era machines, vehicles and weapons of the time. The company made a smart purchase because these would be obsolete now and probably cost feck all, the most money would be spent transporting them to Ireland and getting them road worthy.

I thought they were WWII era vehicles, they say the are DUKWs on the web site. Pics on goggle
    I see them every day, there is Loki, Thor, Balder, Frya, and Odin, and a Tayto one I think. I give them a roar when they pass too.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

"Now, coming up on your left is a yuppie coffee sho. Not this one, but you see it coming up, 1, 2, 3, YEEAARRGHHH!!!"

(whispering) "oh, look, a bunch of lost tourists, 1, 2, 3, (shouts) YEEAARRGHHH!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I think it's funny. Been caught off guard a few times, and nearly shat meself.

Never done the tour myself. Must give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

whenever i am in town with the missus and see them I start roaring at them at the top of my voice, the missues is mortified, the people in the tour bus look bemused and people walking around me think i am some sort of nut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

dan1895 wrote: »
    The city is plagued with drugs, scumbags and random assaults and what annoys you is a few tourists having a bit of fun?

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

col.in.Cr wrote: »
    lol

Hilarious :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

dan1895 wrote: »
    Hilarious :confused:

I meant you had a point there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

col.in.Cr wrote: »
    I meant you had a point there

Apologies, cheerfully withdrawn

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Rich11

I wonder though, if I drove around in a car in Dublin, screaming at people randomly, how long would it take before the Gardai pulled me over, or the Corporation fined me for noise pollution.

iv seen that happen quiet a few times, young fella's driving about screaming at people with the friends:rolleyes: in micras and galanza's:o

wish the guards would do something about them

• Advertisement

"And on your left you'll see a clearly irritated 3rd level Drama student...1, 2, 3....YAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"
    lol, was chem actually :) and I'm always irritated, by everything. I'm a cranky bitch ;)

the_syco wrote: »
    "Now, coming up on your left is a yuppie coffee sho. Not this one, but you see it coming up, 1, 2, 3, YEEAARRGHHH!!!"

(whispering) "oh, look, a bunch of lost tourists, 1, 2, 3, (shouts) YEEAARRGHHH!!!"

And unfortunately we'll have to change the route slightly today as the large chip on this fella's shoulder seems to be blocking the way ;)

whenever i am in town with the missus and see them I start roaring at them at the top of my voice, the missues is mortified, the people in the tour bus look bemused and people walking around me think i am some sort of nut

Love it :D

I thought they were WWII era vehicles, they say the are DUKWs on the web site. Pics on goggle
    I see them every day, there is Loki, Thor, Balder, Frya, and Odin, and a Tayto one I think. I give them a roar when they pass too.

They are based on the American DUKWs. The Russians had DUKWs from the lend-lease program during WWII and literally stripped them apart and worked out how they were designed and just built them up again for themselves and come up with the BAV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

At last count, I have seen 6 seperate ones in the water, all named after famous Norse gods such as:

Thor
    Odin
    Balder
    Freya
    Loki

and the very infamous, most tasty of gods:

Tayto Park :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

If you were on the Tayto Park DUKW at Merrion Sq around 3:30 this afternoon that was The Hill Billy & HB Jr II roaring at you. :D

Mrs Billy & HB Jr I were the very embarassed-looking pair behind us. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Did the Viking Splash a few years ago. Great craic. If I remember they do have some rules about not shouting at some places. Can't remember (beer makes brain go something... something).

Anyway, it's entertaining the tourists (and the odd native) so what's the harm?

Incidentally, thanks to the Viking Splash guide, I learned that Vikings did not have horns on their helmets - the horns were added by the monks to demonise them. Damn propagandists!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Im a cranky so and so at the best of times but i usually just smile or wave when i see the Vikings Splash Tour screams in my direction. Its nice clean fun by people having fun visiting our city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

completely harmless and just good fun. i growl back at them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

We should have a Dublin City forum outing on the Viking Splash tour. Find out were the OP works and scream extra loud every time we pass his office. : )

Advertisement