Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People on the Viking Splash tours bus screaming at you

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

IMG_4703.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Ha! Hopefully the Vikings wont be up to their traditional antics!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭M.Pool

I sneezed on Dame St as the Viking Splash went by. A lovely lady with an American accent called out "God Bless You". :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

We should have a Dublin City forum outing on the Viking Splash tour. Find out were the OP works and scream extra loud every time we pass his office. : )

:-/ **** sake like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

shar01 wrote: »
    Anyway, it's entertaining the tourists (and the odd native) so what's the harm?

I presume it's done to advertise themselves to tourists. I doubt they really care whether it annoys Dubliners, as they wouldn't be their primary market.

Does anyone know whether the shouting thing is original to the Viking Splash tour or whether it's common amongst other touristy things in different countries? It's a very clever idea, although I do find it annoying when I get caught out and they shout at me. Not a huge annoyance, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I did it last Autumn and it was great fun frightening the shoite out of unsuspecting passersby.

We were chugging along in the water in Grand Canal Dock though, and some young one behind me let out a scream and a "Look mammy". The whole tour looks out to see a bunch of young lads, who had been lolling around by the Millenium Tower sunbathing and swimming, strip off and run towards the bus before diving bollock naked into the water and swimming towards us. Cue panic as parents rush to shield the impressionable eyes of their children. Was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

Einhard wrote: »
    I did it last Autumn and it was great fun frightening the shoite out of unsuspecting passersby.

We were chugging along in the water in Grand Canal Dock though, and some young one behind me let out a scream and a "Look mammy". The whole tour looks out to see a bunch of young lads, who had been lolling around by the Millenium Tower sunbathing and swimming, strip off and run towards the bus before diving bollock naked into the water and swimming towards us. Cue panic as parents rush to shield the impressionable eyes of their children. Was brilliant.

and then what happened :confused:

Anyway, i have done this tour twice and i have to say it is the funniest thing I have ever done!! I have been caught out by the screams but I have to say being up there and watching people jump with the shock is hilarious :pac::pac: Lots to learn too :)

oh and the vehicles were built to last because they were built by women... oh yeah we are great ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Annoys the shyte out of me - I find myself wishing the bloody thing would sink with all hands , not so far-fetched ....those DUKW vehicles are WW2 era technology and one of them sank in the states a few years ago while being used to ferry tourists around . Lots of people drowned.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Delancey wrote: »
    Annoys the shyte out of me - I find myself wishing the bloody thing would sink with all hands , not so far-fetched ....those DUKW vehicles are WW2 era technology and one of them sank in the states a few years ago while being used to ferry tourists around . Lots of people drowned.

Now, now Mr Grumpy-Pants - you need to turn that frown upside-down! :p
    l.jpg

You know what the Viking tour is missing? Some good ole fashioned raping and pillaging - let's return to the good ole days! *climbs a round tower*

• Advertisement

Now, now Mr Grumpy-Pants - you need to turn that frown upside-down! :p
    l.jpg

Check out below link - those machines require a huge amount of maintenance - the one in the link did not have a seal replaced as required.

http://articles.philly.com/2010-07-07/news/24966215_1_vehicle-passengers-web-site

ok so im not wishing a mass drowning on them but their screaming is a pain in the hole............

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I love the screaming, it's nice to see tourists enjoying themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

They are mainly tourists, and usually children, lighten up people.

It makes me smile and laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Benji1974

OP, you’re not cranky at all considering Dublin is supposed to be a working capital city. Can you imagine this being tolerated in London or any other European city? No way, in civilised countries anti-social behaviour like that is not tolerated, especially in cities. There are other people in Dublin to be considered besides tourists.

The shouting is bad enough but to beep horns on a regular basis is just obnoxious and to insult passers-by. They mock the ‘Cappuccino Heads’ like that’s some new thing. That might have been clever fifteen years ago but not now! There is nothing worse to see another Irish person playing to stereotype and exaggerating their cute little Irish lilt to perform for tourists like Dublin is some sort of theme park.

The route this bus takes is along streets in which there are many offices; I’m really surprised the Dublin City Business Association has not made a formal complaint.

No doubt I'll be labelled a kiljoy by any 'craic' lovers:

“Ah, sure, can you not take a joke. They're just havin the craic, sure they're not doin any harm”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Scream back at them - it's quite therapeutic!

Benji1974 wrote: »
    OP, you’re not cranky at all considering Dublin is supposed to be a working capital city.

Tourists help the city work better, and OP you definitely seem like at least a bit of a crank.
    Can you imagine this being tolerated in London or any other European city? No way, in civilised countries anti-social behaviour like that is not tolerated, especially in cities.

Anti-social? Children screaming because they are having a good time on a safe tourist vehicle?
    The shouting is bad enough but to beep horns
    on a regular basis is just obnoxious and to insult passers-by.

I must admit I have never seen them beeping horns at people.
    They mock the ‘Cappuccino Heads’ like that’s some new thing.

When you say cappuccino heads do you mean pretentious people or just people enjoying coffee, and when you say mock do you mean the children shouting hello at them as they pass?
    That might have been clever fifteen years ago but not now! There is nothing worse to see another Irish person playing to stereotype and exaggerating their cute little Irish lilt to perform for tourists like Dublin is some sort of theme park.

Example please.
    The route this bus takes is along streets in which there are many offices; I’m really surprised the Dublin City Business Association has not made a formal complaint..

Anyone locating an office in a city centre has to expect there to be noise.
    No doubt I'll be labelled a kiljoy by any 'craic' lovers:

I would not describe myself as a 'craic lover' as you put it, I just don't see the problem with paying foreign tourists and their children having a good time, enjoying our city while contributing to our exchequer even if they do make some noise... and do dare to greet passing pedestrians.
    “Ah, sure, can you not take a joke. They're just havin the craic, sure they're not doin any harm”

It's interesting how your grammar and spelling degraded slightly when you were predicting how someone not sharing your point of view would rebuke you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Judging by the reviews the tourists give, it's a winner for Dublin tourism.

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Attraction_Review-g186605-d1546492-Reviews-Viking_Splash_Tours-Dublin_County_Dublin.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

They mock the ‘Cappuccino Heads’ like that’s some new thing.

At least get your whinge right, they're Cappuccino Celts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

I can understand it wearing a bit thin if you hear them work all day every day, but I love them. They've scared the bejaysus out me plenty of times, but it's always funny. A while ago, I was walking past one stopped at lights and the driver roared through his loudspeaker that my bra strap was showing and I got a big cheer when I fixed it. Finally some appreciation!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

In all fairness, the 'roar' lasts for all of 1 second each time, maybe 1.5. So that's maybe 10 seconds of irritation a day.

They go round the area I work in but if I don't see them coming and they roar near me - I still jump! It's just a bit of fun IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I think it's the best thing about Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Benji1974

It’s interesting to see the responses in this thread. I suppose the shouting, beeping etc. might seem like innocent fun when you hear it once in a while but if you live or work on the route like I do and hear it over and over all day long, it’s just downright obnoxious and disruptive.

I’m constantly surprised that it’s allowed to continue but I shouldn’t be as in this country being perceived as having fun trumps everything, especially when comes to pandering to tourists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I think it's the best thing about Dublin...

Aaah jeysus it couldent be :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It’s interesting to see the responses in this thread. I suppose the shouting, beeping etc. might seem like innocent fun when you hear it once in a while but if you live or work on the route like I do and hear it over and over all day long, it’s just downright obnoxious and disruptive.

Have you read the thread ? A few of us work or live on the route.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Have you read the thread ? A few of us work or live on the route.
    Tell me about it.
    Nothing kills the moment more than when you're just getting intimate and suddenly outside your window there's a load of yanks roaring. Will soon resort to doing the deed with the curtains open so they can see how the Vikings' descendants get down on the weekend :P

That said, I still think the Viking tour makes Dublin 'Dublin'.... in its own weird way.

Siuin wrote: »
    Tell me about it.
    Nothing kills the moment more than when you're just getting intimate and suddenly outside your window there's a load of yanks roaring. Will soon resort to doing the deed with the curtains open so they can see how the Vikings' descendants get down on the weekend :P

That said, I still think the Viking tour makes Dublin 'Dublin'.... in its own weird way.

Admit it, you now have trouble performing without hearing the roaring tourists on the Viking Splash Tour! :)

dusf wrote: »
    Admit it, you now have trouble performing without hearing the roaring tourists on the Viking Splash Tour! :)
    Lol! If anything, it ups my game :P
    Only way to drown out the yelling outside is to scream louder ;)

Wish someone would scoop up all the dog sh1t around Dublin ( Jesus knows there's enough of it ) and fling it into the Viking Splash vehicle - that'll get them roaring alright :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

which is worse -the half hearted shouts of the tourists or mr whippey driving through your estate playing his demented tunes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

shar01 wrote: »
    Did the Viking Splash a few years ago. Great craic. If I remember they do have some rules about not shouting at some places. Can't remember (beer makes brain go something... something).
    "Don't roar at the Gardai" was one, and there was a road or two where it went by residential houses where he couldn't use the speaker, and asked people not to yell.
    xoxyx wrote: »
    A while ago, I was walking past one stopped at lights and the driver roared through his loudspeaker that my bra strap was showing
    "And back in the day, we'd take teh women, and sell them off... and you two lovely ladies (looks at the young wans standing next to the ship) would fetch quite a nice price, aaaarrrrr!" :D
    Tabnabs wrote: »
    Just read some of them; it's great people had a good time.
    Delancey wrote: »
    I find myself wishing the bloody thing would sink with all hands
    There's always one! I wonder did they have life-jackets on?

Advertisement