Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British pay as you go sim card for the Olympics?

Options
  • 31-07-2012 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭

Travelling over for the Olympics and was thinking that a British pay as you go sim card would be a cheaper option. As a complete muppet in this area I was thinking that I just get my phone unlocked and simply replace my sim card with say a british tesco data sim card. Is it that simple or am I missing something obvious.

Might I get some recommendations for sim cards and tips for saving on mobile costs while in London as I have heard some scare stories about size of bills when using data.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

What network and phone are you using?

Once the phone is unlocked, you can put a UK sim in yes. May not be worth it depending on your usage and length of time staying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Davy wrote: »
    What network and phone are you using?

Once the phone is unlocked, you can put a UK sim in yes. May not be worth it depending on your usage and length of time staying

Thanks for the quick reply,

Samsung X cover from e-mobile, staying for a week and seeing as I have tickets for Katie's (fingers crossed) gold medal fight, I plan on uploading both pics and video to facebook and keep up with different things on twitter.

Will have wi-fi in hotel but when out and about in london would be nice to be able to check out different london 2012 apps, plus use satnav for getting around.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You could get the phone unlocked and use an irish 3 sim card on PAYG. Topup by €20 here, and then have unlimited data to use in the UK once you manually select the UK 3 network. You will also get free texts 7 days, and then free calls at the weekend. Then any credit can be used here when you et home rather then a uk sim being wasted.

You could get the phone unlocked and use an irish 3 sim card on PAYG. Topup by €20 here, and then have unlimited data to use in the UK once you manually select the UK 3 network. You will also get free texts 7 days, and then free calls at the weekend. Then any credit can be used here when you et home rather then a uk sim being wasted.

You are a Gent Sir, I would never have thought of that.
    Thank you very much.

Checking their site, I presume I'd have to get a new number with that sim card rather than transfer my number across. Will my twitter and facebook accounts still be active with the new card/number on my phone even though I will have removed my e-mobile simcard. Can I pop back in my emobile sim say every evening to check for voice mail.

Apologies for the paint by numbers questions as I really don't have a baldies as regards this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

i know you only ever hear the bad stories but i've yet to meet someone who hasn't complained about 3's coverage over here. one of the lad's company phone is on 3 and he curses it regularly.

iirc £10 will get you an O2 sim with £10 credit with included 500mb data

• Advertisement

theteal wrote: »
    i know you only ever hear the bad stories but i've yet to meet someone who hasn't complained about 3's coverage over here. one of the lad's company phone is on 3 and he curses it regularly.

iirc £10 will get you an O2 sim with £10 credit with included 500mb data

Thank you for the reply Teal, but hopefully the coverage should be ok in the capitol, plus I like the security blanket of the all you can eat data option with the three simcard. You don't have a link to the £10 for £10 offer you mentioned as I can't find it on their website, would be handy for comparision.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    Thank you for the reply Teal, but hopefully the coverage should be ok in the capitol, plus I like the security blanket of the all you can eat data option with the three simcard. You don't have a link to the £10 for £10 offer you mentioned as I can't find it on their website, would be handy for comparision.

Apparently the media couldn't get live speed/time data from the cycling road race due to the amount of data streaming by spectators on the side of the road.

This may be better in the main Olympic Park but don't be too disappointed if you can't upload Taylor's medal ceremony.

Picked up two this morning for both of our phones, thanks for the advice Davy

Just a follow up to let ye know how we got on with the sim cards. We were both using data everyday as in twitter and facebook and I made a couple of calls back home. I sent near on a 100 texts and I have €17.49 left out of €20 credit which doesn't run out and herself has the full €20 left.

So it seems that for the UK a Three prepay sim card with €20 top up is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭cyberblade 918c

cheers for this folks - heading cross the pond this week and will def try the 3 option ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement