Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Collins military vision?

Options
  • 31-07-2012 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

I'm looking for info on what ideas or long term plans Michael Collins had for the Irish military. I came across a very brief reference to it in a collins biography, but no detail, just hints of a small corp and some form of militia. links or directions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

triskell wrote: »
    I'm looking for info on what ideas or long term plans Michael Collins had for the Irish military. I came across a very brief reference to it in a collins biography, but no detail, just hints of a small corp and some form of militia. links or directions would be appreciated.

A good post, I'm glad somebody thought of it. I look forward to seeing the responses.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

triskell wrote: »

Can I ask are you looking at this from Michael Collins perspective or more of the military perspective? If it's the latter you might be better off looking at Richard Mulcahy he was Minister for Defence in the first Dail and went in to be commander of the military of the provisional government.

Mulcahy and Collins worked closely together and a lot of his biographies cover conversations and plans made between them. The 'The Mulcahy Papers' in the UCD Archives are an invaluable resource, bt if your more interested in the secondary sources (no judgement a lot of people don't have the time or inclination to trawl through the primary materials).

I'll dig out some references for you on Mulcahy when I'm at home with my thesis :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

Thanks very much. I hadn't thought of the mulcahy angle, I don't mind rumaging around for the information. but I would appreciate anything you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jemmyboy

Good thread. Going to follow it and look forward to what come up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Some of his plans can be seen in the 1922 constitution, not in a detailed description of future army formation but it does put a deal of importance on the armies role. Collins was chairman of the drafting committee of this constitution. Article 6 deals with some powers of the army in relation to challenges to the constitution.
    The liberty of the person is inviolable, and no person shall be deprived of his liberty except in accordance with law. Upon complaint made by or on behalf of any person that he is being unlawfully detained, the High Court and any and every judge thereof shall forthwith enquire into the same and may make an order requiring the person in whose custody such person shall be detained to produce the body of the person so detained before such Court or judge without delay, and to certify in writing as to the cause of the detention and such Court or judge shall thereupon order the release of such person unless satisfied that he is being detained in accordance with the law:

Provided, however, that nothing in this Article contained shall be invoked to prohibit, control or interfere with any act of the military forces of the Irish Free State (Saorstát Eireann) during the existence of a state of war or armed rebellion.

It also gave the possibility for military tribunals:

Article 70.

No one shall be tried save in due course of law, and extraordinary courts shall not be established, save only such Military Tribunals as may be authorised by law for dealing with Military offenders against military law. The jurisdiction of Military Tribunals shall not be extended to or exercised over the civil population save in time of war, or armed rebellion, and for acts committed in time of war or armed rebellion, and in accordance with the regulations to be prescribed by law. Such jurisdiction shall not be exercised in any area in which all civil courts are open or capable of being held, and no person shall be removed from one area to another for the purpose of creating such jurisdiction.

And the only right to raise an army was that of the Oireachtais-
    Article 46.

The Oireachtas has the exclusive right to regulate the raising and maintaining of such armed forces as are mentioned in the Scheduled Treaty in the territory of the Irish Free State (Saorstát Eireann) and every such force shall be subject to the control of the Oireachtas.

http://acts.oireachtas.ie/en.act.1922.0001.2.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement