Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please on picking a hospital for birth

Options
  • 31-07-2012 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi ya,
    Hope this finds you well. My girlfriend is pregnant and we are trying to decide on a hostipal for the birth Rotunda, Holles st, etc. We are living in Dublin. Would very much appreciate your input
    Thanks a mil,
    Sean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

A lot of it depends on where you live as if you're not in the catchment area they may not take you as a patient. Generally west Dublin is the coombe, north rotunda, south Holles. You'll hear good stories and bad about each hospital.

I had 2 excellent experiences through the public system in Holles st.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would pick the one nearest her workplace as she will leave from there for her appointments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Which part of Dublin do you live in? I lived in North Dublin and went to the Coombe on my second pregnancy as I had a bad experience in the Rotunda on my first birth (but had a great experience in the Rotunda on my third birth so don't discredit it!).

I'd always pick which one is closest to my house now, especially when the Coombe reminded me that if I were to need an ambulance in an emergency (be that labour or a bleed/cord prolapse etc) they would only bring me to the nearest hospital which would have been the Rotunda.

You're always going to hear horror stories from each hospital. Everybody has different experiences. Most hospitals have a domino scheme and early release scheme attached to their area, and also clinics in different catchment areas (for instance Rotunda cover Finglas, Cabra and Blanchardstown and you can attend appoints in health centres in each area and Coombe cover Tallaght etc and often these appointments can be kept in the evening so outside work hours too). I'd just pick whichever is closest to home

Advertisement