Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working during the PGDE?

Options
  • 31-07-2012 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hey,
    Just wondering if anyone has any advice/opinions on how feasible it is to work a part-time job during your year as a student teacher? I know it can be challenging time wise and there is also the risk of students encountering teachers with in another role which can be less than comfortable :confused:

I'd appreciate any tips, suggestions, advice or horror stories!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

BumbleBe wrote: »
    Hey,
    Just wondering if anyone has any advice/opinions on how feasible it is to work a part-time job during your year as a student teacher? I know it can be challenging time wise and there is also the risk of students encountering teachers with in another role which can be less than comfortable :confused:

I'd appreciate any tips, suggestions, advice or horror stories!

most schools will let you supervise free classes,which can be quite lucrative.

if you have a part time job make sure its appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭markievicz

I've just finished the PDE (well in June) and I worked part time over the weekends for the entire year. I'm not going to lie it was tough going, I worked in retail all day Saturday and Sunday which left me with very little time to do college work or lesson plans over the weekends, I was wrecked tired all the time but I got through it. I wouldn't have been able to afford the PDE without the part time work. If you are strict about time and can plan ahead a little bit, it is managable. My TP was on Monday and Friday so I did my lesson plans for Mon on the preceeding Fri and my lesson plans for the Fri during the school day on Mon in between my classes. I stayed back after lectures on Tues, Weds and Thurs to get assignments done, correct student work etc. Planning will be your friend!
    As for the student issue, I worked in a different county to where I taught so I didn't really have that problem but a friend of mine worked and taught in the same town. She actually worked in Penneys and a few of her students copped her there after a few weeks. A few comments were made but she just brushed them off and it was forgotten about. I wouldn't worry too much about students seeing you working somewhere else, its not that big of a deal. I know lots of 'proper' teachers who work part time jobs as well as teaching.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 BumbleBe

Yeah I've just spent the last year saving to pay for the course so I've very little put by to actually survive on. I know you can get the odd class to supervise but I don't think that would be stable enough.
    I've been working weekends in a book shop since I started college and I'm thinking I'll have to keep it on. I guess I'll have to grin and bear it if the odd student comes in to buy supplies ha! Really appreciate the advice guys! :)

Yeah I've just spent the last year saving to pay for the course so I've very little put by to actually survive on. I know you can get the odd class to supervise but I don't think that would be stable enough.
    I've been working weekends in a book shop since I started college and I'm thinking I'll have to keep it on. I guess I'll have to grin and bear it if the odd student comes in to buy supplies ha! Really appreciate the advice guys! :)

most of them would understand that you cannot live on fresh air. I would treat them like normal customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 BumbleBe

Yeah that makes sense. I have been advised to refrain from informing them that I am a student teacher as oppose to a teacher in the proper sense. I did a little work in the school during my MA so some students may already be familiar with me... Were your first students aware you were a student teacher? If so were there any benefits to or problems with them knowing... I sound like I'm proper freaking out about this situation! I guess I am! :eek:

• Advertisement

Yeah that makes sense. I have been advised to refrain from informing them that I am a student teacher as oppose to a teacher in the proper sense. I did a little work in the school during my MA so some students may already be familiar with me... Were your first students aware you were a student teacher? If so were there any benefits to or problems with them knowing... I sound like I'm proper freaking out about this situation! I guess I am! :eek:

kids are not stupid. they will know who you are. often other members of staff tell the kids a little too much.

Advertisement