Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Breakfast in Sligo

Options
  • 31-07-2012 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Inspired by a thread on the Dublin forum. Where is the best place for a full Irish breakfast in Sligo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I love Shells in Strandhill, especially as I'm a vegetarian and every element of it is delicious, and something not catered for in many places in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

HOS 1997 wrote: »
    Inspired by a thread on the Dublin forum. Where is the best place for a full Irish breakfast in Sligo?

I have vague recolactions of a similar thread from years ago. Not sure if anywhere around town really stood out, think it was simply because there wasn't anywhere really to choose from.

The only places that I had breakfast was from the rooftop, wasn't hugely impressed, and pepper ally. Unfortunatly the last time I was there, the portons were allot smaller to what I remembered and was more about presentaion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I have to second Shells.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

Yes, the Roof Top is the only place I can think of off hand if I was going into town for breakfast. Decent enough but slightly overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Lyons are meant to do a nice breakfast but it's expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

How much is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

But are any of them open on a saturday or sunday morning when you are usally in most need of one.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I've heard Shells is fantastic, but haven't got a chance to go. Maybe this weekend!

Best I've tried in Sligo is Margarets in Finisklin... although haven't had it in probably 2 years. Used to have it quite often though not good for the ol' cholesterol!

magnumlady wrote: »
    Lyons are meant to do a nice breakfast but it's expensive.

Same. I've always intended to try it, they have a couple of veggie options including french toast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

Stay away from Molly Fultons in Carraroe, they serve child size portions to adults, food has gone done a great deal there and the prices have gone up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jajjay

Was in Shells this am and I can safetly say its the best in the North West!

Would give it a miss until about Tuesday with the surfing festival on out there - the place will be mad!

The also have launched their own cook book (o sale in Shells) and it looks impressive.

JJ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Basq wrote: »
    I've heard Shells is fantastic, but haven't got a chance to go. Maybe this weekend!

Best I've tried in Sligo is Margarets in Finisklin... although haven't had it in probably 2 years. Used to have it quite often though not good for the ol' cholesterol!
    Ah yes, the jumbo breakfast there is a bit special - 3 sausages, 2 rashers, 3 eggs, 2 puddings, beans, mushrooms, onion rings and a hash brown. I must try Shell's. Are the portions large?

Shamrok wrote: »
    Ah yes, the jumbo breakfast there is a bit special - 3 sausages, 2 rashers, 3 eggs, 2 puddings, beans, mushrooms, onion rings and a hash brown. I must try Shell's. Are the portions large?

I'd say they're generous, definitely fill you up! You *might* have enough space for one of their wee ice cream cones afterward though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I haven't had it in quite a while but 4 lights do/did an epic one, was huge and good value too, think it was around 6.50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭I Need The Sun

The early house, 4 quick pints of cold Heineken always sets me up for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jajjay

I thought the early house was gone, since Chrystals was demolished behind the shopping centre.

Where's the rest of the early houses around here?

Thanks
    JJo

Down by "the swans"/car park near Quay Street rear exit. So I'm told ;)

I'll let u know when I'm going 4 a slap up breakfast, see u der. Do u play darts?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

The Harbour Bar is indeed demolished.

The Picnic Basket in Ballymote used to do a massive breakfast. You wouldn't be hungry leaving anyway! Think it was 9 euro but its a while since I was in 'remote and longer still since I had a fry in Imeldas

My absolutley fav, unrivalled breakfast treat used to be from Centra Maugheraboy and any petrol station en route to the site. But sadly those days are gone.

If Cat Stevens was writing now, surely he'd be singing "Remember The Days Of The Jumbo Breakfast Roll".

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

its nearly impossible to get a decent breakfast around the town and beyond,Its not hard to get a breakfast right,but so many do not.
    i think the low quality petrol station stuff killed off the Breakfast trade.

• Advertisement

The Ark Bar used to do a good breakfast back in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Spiderpig92

nothin like a traditional home made breakfast i think!!!

I'm a big fan of hash browns wiv the breakfast...u can buy a big bag of them from abbey frozen for a few quid...but only as a treat nowadays...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Margarets in Finisklin, or The Picnic Basket in Ballymote (well worth the drive out.)

Bella Vista in Strandhill isn't bad either!

Advertisement