Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Enduring Power of Attorney

• 31-07-2012 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hoping someone can clarify how Enduring Power of Attorney works for me. Our elderly mother is suffering from dementia and we are trying to seek Enduring Power of Attorney to look after her further as she is not paying bills and so on at the moment.

We have the following done, but we wanted to double check the procedure to ensure we are being advised correctly.

- a statement by a doctor verifying that in her opinion she had the mental capacity at the time that the document was executed to understand the effect of creating the power
    - a statement from her that she understood the effect of creating the power
    - a statement from a solicitor that he is satisfied that she understood the effect of creating the power of attorney
    - a statement from a solicitor that she was not acting under undue influence.

We are told to continue that we must go to the high court, as per standard procedure, and that it will be very costly on court fees alone.

Is this correct? What is the exact procedure?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭blueythebear

dropbox wrote: »
    Hoping someone can clarify how Enduring Power of Attorney works for me. Our elderly mother is suffering from dementia and we are trying to seek Enduring Power of Attorney to look after her further as she is not paying bills and so on at the moment.

We have the following done, but we wanted to double check the procedure to ensure we are being advised correctly.

- a statement by a doctor verifying that in her opinion she had the mental capacity at the time that the document was executed to understand the effect of creating the power
    - a statement from her that she understood the effect of creating the power
    - a statement from a solicitor that he is satisfied that she understood the effect of creating the power of attorney
    - a statement from a solicitor that she was not acting under undue influence.

We are told to continue that we must go to the high court, as per standard procedure, and that it will be very costly on court fees alone.

Is this correct? What is the exact procedure?

Unfortunately, this is an area that a solicitor is needed as the High Court has oversight of EPA's. On the bright side, this is much cheaper than wardship proceedings which would be required if an EPA had not been prepared.

Some details available here on EPA:

http://www.courts.ie/offices.nsf/0/07FCE631A3E01083802573D2006898F2?opendocument

• Registered Users Posts: 1 legalbuff

Hi There,
    Below is a link to a blog post that explains what it is, and how the power of attorney basically works. Hope it answers your questions.

http://www.docrun.com/blog/thats-the-power-of-attorney/

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jredwood

Hi, I am trying to help my cousin through a terrible time. I think she has the enduring power of attorney in process with her lawyer. Her worry is that once she has it, what does she do with the bank of Ireland. Her mother's social security goes directly into her account and she does not want to mess any of this up and social security from US does not recognize powers of attorney. She does not want to get into any hassel with this and I sure understand her problem. She also will need a debit card to continue paying bills and write checks for nursing home care. Can you help her? Thank you very much.

Advertisement