Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pre wiring house for UPC

• 31-07-2012 9:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hi , im currently in the process of renovating a house and am wondering is it possible to pre wire my house for UPC as im running cables at the moment.

Im an electrician so it wouldnt be any hassle to do it my self if i knew what type of cable to use, is it standard RG6 that runs from the junction (located on the soffit under guttering) to the router and tv points

I just dont want to have cables clipped all over a newly renovated house when i get it installed so would appreciate it if any one could give me some ideas.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Johnny, if you don't get an answer here I'd try asking the same question over in terrestrial where there are lots of experts on aerials, Saorview and receiver boxes, they should also be able to advice on cabling.

Terrestrial is here.. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=56

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Beware. Its illegal to tap into a mains cable and highly dangerous too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

Yes you could do it yourself but as icdg it would illegal, best bet is to get certified UPC installer to do it.

icdg wrote: »
    stevek93 wrote: »
    Yes you could do it yourself but as icdg it would illegal, best bet is to get certified UPC installer to do it.

I think both of you guys have the wrong end of the stick. The OP is renovating a house and prior to getting UPC to come and connect him up he's going to install TV points around the house and wants advice on what is the right cable to use.

He is not trying to attempt anything illegal from my reading of his post. When my house was built, an electrician installed three TV points around the house and connected them up to a splitter in the attic ready for connection to the cable TV network. That's precisely what the OP is proposing to do in the house he's working on.

coylemj wrote: »
    icdg wrote: »

I think both of you guys have the wrong end of the stick. The OP is renovating a house and prior to getting UPC to come and connect him up he's going to install TV points around the house and wants advice on what is the right cable to use.

He is not trying to attempt anything illegal from my reading of his post. When my house was built, an electrician installed three TV points around the house and connected them up to a splitter in the attic ready for connection to the cable TV network. That's precisely what the OP is proposing to do in the house he's working on.

Ah my bad. As for that cable OP it should be fine.

Edit: Just reading the OPs post again he is attempting to tap into the junction box outside the house by the looks of things?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

They'll quite happily use any pre installed cable. AFAIK RG6 is the correct spec, but you might want to ask them.

Run the cable to each wall point in a star configuration not a daisy chain.
    Install a deep single box into the wall, same as used for any socket/switch. They can hang their UPC wall socket / isolator on these.

Just leave a good slack of cable coming out of your roof near their tap on the soffit. They'll make the connection from there.

Remember though, they charge per point!

Solair wrote: »

You can install as many points as you please but the subscription charge is only based on the number of digital boxes you ask for.

Do you mean that when UPC come to connect the house that there will be an installation charge for each new UPC wall box?

Solair wrote: »

You can install as many points as you please but the subscription charge is only based on the number of digital boxes you ask for.

Do you mean that when UPC come to connect the house that there will be an installation charge for each new UPC wall box?

Not unless you get UPC to install multiroom then they charge you by the box or no box.

Not unless you get UPC to install multiroom then they charge you by the box or no box.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Although 'multiroom' sounds like some kind of electronic feature, it's just the name for second or subsequent digital boxes. If the house is already wired for multiple points as the OP's house will be, UPC won't have to do anything for the second TV point, just give him an extra digital box.

Say the OP wires up four TV points and asks for just one digital+ box for the main room as a starter. Will UPC install four wall boxes and if so, will they charge for them?

Say the OP wires up four TV points and asks for just one digital+ box for the main room as a starter. Will UPC install four wall boxes and if so, will they charge for them?

If the OP asks UPC to install the four wall boxes he will be charged by the month as these are classed as multiroom he also might be charged a installation fee as well. UPC doesn't not run these of the box in the main room it is from the junction box outside the house. What the OP should do is wire the four wall boxes himself from the main room not sure if how the analogue would fair up if he done this though.

• Advertisement

If the OP asks UPC to install the four wall boxes he will be charged by the month as these are classed as multiroom he also might be charged a installation fee as well. UPC doesn't not run these of the box in the main room it is from the junction box outside the house. What the OP should do is wire the four wall boxes himself from the main room not sure if how the analogue would fair up if he done this though.

They do not charge a subscription per wall box. I was disconnected for several years and when I got reconnected, the Polish contractor lads replaced all three of my Cablelink wall boxes with new UPC boxes even though at the time I was only signing up for one Digital+ box. I paid a sub. for one Digital+ box and later added a non-recording Pace box in one of the bedrooms. On my UPC bill I am only paying per digital box, not by how many points there are in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭naitsirhc

Multiroom is charged per box, not per wall point. If you order anything from UPC that would require them to send out new equipment there's a €45 activation fee and if you need an extra point installed its an extra €60 per point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

johnnyjb wrote: »
    Hi , im currently in the process of renovating a house and am wondering is it possible to pre wire my house for UPC as im running cables at the moment.

Im an electrician so it wouldnt be any hassle to do it my self if i knew what type of cable to use, is it standard RG6 that runs from the junction (located on the soffit under guttering) to the router and tv points

I just dont want to have cables clipped all over a newly renovated house when i get it installed so would appreciate it if any one could give me some ideas.

Thanks in advance

Coax cable thats all depends how many rooms you want it in but run 2 or 3 cables from the box outside and get upc to connect you up

Advertisement