Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine Wimax

• 31-07-2012 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I had wimax installed today, since then I only have wifi if I sit beside the modem and the signal wont go to any other room.

I rang them earlier to be told " The signal may struggle to pass through block walls".

Absolute ridiculous I never had this problem with Eircom and I suppose it doesnt help that the idiot installed it behind a huge TV unit and beside an outside wall so half the signal goes out to my garden.

Has anybody any suggestions or does anyone know if Imagine have a cooling off period?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 valeriebaer

Im pretty sure the standard 15 day cooling off period applies - did ya sign anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Im pretty sure the standard 15 day cooling off period applies - did ya sign anything?

No I just said yeah to everthing on the phone, that being said they said they would provide wifi for my house.

I really cant believe how sh1te it is.

And I got your first post I am touched:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

"Wimax the new sensation imagine wimax acomming across the nation"

buyer95 wrote: »
    "Wimax the new sensation imagine wimax acomming across the nation"

Ah dude .......you are adding to my pain here. Is there no solution ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 valeriebaer

And I got your first post I am touched:D

ha, well I could feel your pain :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Not overly familiar with the outdoors WiMAX but can you not just move the modem?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Not overly familiar with the outdoors WiMAX but can you not just move the modem?

No its wired to an outside dish and barely enough cable as it is .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,020 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I don't know the details of how the Imagine WiFi bit works, but if it lets you change the WiFi channel, try that. e.g. if it's set to Ch.3, change it to Ch.11 and see if that helps.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

If its not doing what they advertised it can do they have an obligation to refund you fully.
    Also suss about these wireless companies, clearwire,ripwave what alot of muck they where,,actually ended up having to pay clearwire for 6 months even though I got another service in..they blocked the torrent ports which at that time in my life was a massive issue.
    I have used three modems and always found that with a half decent signal they where pretty decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

What router/modem or device is broadcasting the wifi signal?

bnt wrote: »
    I don't know the details of how the Imagine WiFi bit works, but if it lets you change the WiFi channel, try that. e.g. if it's set to Ch.3, change it to Ch.11 and see if that helps.

TRied that but much the same result, forgot to say the tech Guy actually suggested I plug in adapters upstairs and Connect by cable. Seriously what's the point in having wireless if that's the case.

No its wired to an outside dish and barely enough cable as it is .

Is it not just coax cable I wonder? How come you let them put it there?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It's a 7 day cool off period.

Do you lose your install fee then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Nope, everything is refunded afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 marrossko

Signal quality in different part of the building has nothing to do with your ISP. The problem is the modem! The Imagine supplay ZyXel wifi modems, but if you were happy with modem from Eircom I dont see the reason why not to use eircom modem.

marrossko wrote: »
    Signal quality in different part of the building has nothing to do with your ISP. The problem is the modem! The Imagine supplay ZyXel wifi modems, but if you were happy with modem from Eircom I dont see the reason why not to use eircom modem.

SHould have updated this sorry. Imagine sent a new modem by courier and that coupled with the fact that they were doing some network maintenance which has now ended has completely solved my problem.

I now get 7mb download all over my house and even at the end of my garden.

Upload speed is not as fast but I can easily live with that, all in all credit where It's due, I'm happy with the way it was handled and delighted with the service and price .

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭poops66

SHould have updated this sorry. Imagine sent a new modem by courier and that coupled with the fact that they were doing some network maintenance which has now ended has completely solved my problem.

I now get 7mb download all over my house and even at the end of my garden.

Upload speed is not as fast but I can easily live with that, all in all credit where It's due, I'm happy with the way it was handled and delighted with the service and price .

Hi, I'm looking to switch to imagine but read a lot of negative reviews specially about their unlimited traffic allowance... Any comments from you? Are you still happy overall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭bluefirefly

I'd like to ask the same about FUP because we can't get UPC. And our line with eircom can only give us 8mb (reality is only 5-6mb) for nearly 60euros a month. Download allowance is 250gb with Eircom. What about imagine? Their prices looks good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

I'd like to ask the same about FUP because we can't get UPC. And our line with eircom can only give us 8mb (reality is only 5-6mb) for nearly 60euros a month. Download allowance is 250gb with Eircom. What about imagine? Their prices looks good.

Hi bluefirefly

The fair usage policy is supposed to give unlimited access provided you abide by their rules. However if you try to use items like torrents, etc they will throttle you. Their current offer of 12 months at half price is a good one however their pricing after this period makes it expensive in comparison to other wireless operators.

You mention that UPC is not an option for you. However there are alternatives in the form of Metro from Digiweb. They offer a 30MB and phone service from €45p.m approx and uses a small aerial on your roof which connects to a modem inside your home and installation is free (Imagine charges an installation and activation fee up to €150.00). According to their website (http://www.digiweb.ie) they also give you a free wifi router. Worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Imagine Wimax speed is terrible, see screenshot here
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/aiqtkilw7eo26o8/imagine.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

It all depends on location with WiMax.

Had it in Maynooth, no bother. Full speed, unlimited downloads no issues bar crummy upload speed but it was the advertised so knew what I was getting.

Advertisement