Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

types of renewable energy

• 31-07-2012 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Does bio diesel qualify as a renewable energy for producing electricity ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

For what purpose? (1) Part L of the building code? (2) For the feed in tariff with ESB? (3) When St. Peter asks you what you did about global warming?

I think that in all except No 3, it is difficult to police that the system would never be fuelled with regular diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Agri contractor

Sorry I should have explained myself better. The question I should have asked was if I produced say 6kw /hr of electricity using bio diesel in a genererator would I qualify for the smart meter ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Sorry I should have explained myself better. The question I should have asked was if I produced say 6kw /hr of electricity using bio diesel in a genererator would I qualify for the smart meter ?
    I'm not sure if your question falls within their remit but Electric Ireland have a forum here if you wanted to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Agri contractor

muffler wrote: »
    I'm not sure if your question falls within their remit but Electric Ireland have a forum here if you wanted to ask.

Thanks Muffler. Will try this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

In the current price structure I am not sure it is worth the trouble.

ESB used to give the smart meters for free, but now they charge €350 or more (depending on the install conditions). Having done that, they only pay 9c per KwHr for power exported under the scheme. And your system will have to meet EN50438 with the unique Irish variants.

This is a shame because domestic generators and CHP units the potential to produce electricity and use the waste heat that is normally shoved into the nearest river in a power station. A water-cooled generator is the simplest version of this, and if run on biofuel is a worthy exercise. But why bother if ESB is only going to pay you the same 9c that they pay for electricity from a gas fired power station.

• Advertisement
Advertisement