Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build - Upgrade from Dell Precision 690

Options
  • 31-07-2012 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi,

Looking to build a new workstation/desktop mainly for running AutoCAD, REVIT, Sketchup, Photoshop and a couple of rendering programmes. I am currently running a Dell Precision 690 with:

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 5160 @ 3.00GHz,
    NVIDIA GTX 460 1GB,
    6GB ram,
    1 x 3o0GB WD HD (O.S. runs of this),
    1 x 1TB Samsung F1 HD (storage),
    Win XP PRO

I previously got some advice on upgrading: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70090134 and made most of the changes recommended except the OS system as finances didn't allow me at the time but i will up grade to win 7 pro to have it as a second machine.

I am looking to upgrade to a new machine as i find the 690 is breaking my heart! It takes almost 15mins to load up to the point i can use it...and i have it running as smoothly as possible in terms of startup. I have disabled all the hidden startup programs in MSCONFIG etc.

I am really out of touch with hardware and I don't want to overspec a build if i dont need it any advice would be appreciated...

1. What is your budget? [~1400Euro]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Architectural - AutoCAD, REVIT, Sketchup, Photoshop, Kerkythea/THEA Render possible vray in the future )

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes, Win 7 Pro 64 bit]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Yes, 1TB Samsung f1 drive (for storage), GTX 460 Graphics.

5. Do you need a monitor? [No,I am happy enough with my monitor setup for the time being. I use a 19' & 17' Dell. I will probably upgrade once i have hardware sorted.]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [No, Ok here.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [no. i am looking for a machine that will be as stable and quite as possible.]

8. How can you pay? [Credit Card/Laser any of those]

9. When are you purchasing? [during the next month]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [I will give it a go :)]

Cheers.

Comments

Advertisement