Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info about Dublin Wheelers Cycling Club

Options
  • 31-07-2012 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

In a previous thread I was talking about getting into cycling and about cycling clubs near my area.Dublin wheelers was suggested and I was just wondering If there is anybody from that club that could give me some insight into the club as in distances and the general feel or attitude of the club towards new members. And if there is anyone from the club that sees this could you also tell me about the general ages of the people of the club because I'm 22 and I was wondering if there was anybody in the club around my age. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

http://www.dublinwheelers.com/news.php

You can go on a few training spins before formally joining the club. Gives you a feel for things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭elduggo

You should read the Shay Elliott book that was published last year. Theres a bit about Dublin Wheelers in there. I'd say its probably still quite relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

There is also the Shay Elliot movie that has info and talk about the club. Well worth a viewing.

I think the jist of whats being said is, find another club to join

• Registered Users Posts: 37 aworthycause

Or you could just go ahead and join us? There are a number of lads around your age, give or take a year or so. The info on coming out for an introduction is on the site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭gymtime

elduggo wrote: »

why do u say that? are u a member?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

elduggo wrote: »

Please elaborate, Mr Duggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭cipo

I'm an ex member, would highly recommend the Dublin wheelers as a club for all levels. Always found all the members to be very friendly and helpful.

They have a great club structure which has been going for years and years...

Duggo is just a southside tort waiting on the dort!! ;-)

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭biker_joe

Also being an ex-member of said club, I would not recommend joining, there are plenty of X-Members of the Wheelers, and that in itself says alot !

Biker_Joe

ragazzo wrote: »
    Please elaborate, Mr Duggan.

I loaned a water bottle to an ex-member's little brother and never got it back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭honkjelly

The best way to decide is to go for a cycle with the club. Spins (racing & touring) leave from Santry at 9.30 every Saturday morning. During set times of the year there are special beginner groups that start out at 40/50k and build up but I don't think they are running at the moment. There are two touring spins each week, a long and a short so the short one is your best bet right now. It's approx 80k but in a group that distance is ok. If you show up one of the Saturdays just ask to talk to the touring route leader on the day to see what the distance and route is. This info is also posted on the website in advance. There is a good mix of all ages in the club from Juniors up to Vets and this age mix is the beauty of cycling clubs. I've been member for 4 years and am perfectly happy with the club and I chose it based on the location. If you were to go with another club I would recommend swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

New Rider1990, i remember my first day with the wheelers. no reason to be shy, the club is very friendly and welcoming to new riders. the club has changed somewhat and there are a lot of younger faces there now, compared to when i joined. i'd meet you before hand and spin up to santry with you if it'd take the edge off diving in. am also your age. i'm not an active member and don't get out on the bike often, but the spins this time of year are perfect for beginners, or if you've got a hangover :D

biker_joe, there are ex-members in every club too. when did you stop going out with the dublin wheelers?

shay elliott is dead 41 years. elduggo, what does Shay say that would be relevant here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cometh the man

I agree with previous posters about giving Dublin Wheelers the benefit of the doubt and coming out for a spin any Saturday. Your best introduction is possibly a shorter touring spin as the distance and pace may suit you better. The club is always interested in new members and membership has increased over the last couple of years - along with all other cycling clubs - owing to the bike to work scheme, increased interest in the sport etc. And yes, I am a member!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

biker_joe wrote: »
    Also being an ex-member of said club, I would not recommend joining, there are plenty of X-Members of the Wheelers, and that in itself says alot !

Biker_Joe

There are plenty of ex members of most clubs. I heard of a certain person who became an ex member of 4 or 5 clubs over a short space of time. He had to set up his own club, which died within a year, and is now even an ex member of that. You probably heard of him too, Joe. There are some very good clubs around the north Dublin area with members and volunteers who put in a huge amount of work on behalf of the membership. From what I have seen over the past few years Dublin Wheelers would be included in that. As far as I know they have a development section which might suit cyclists in their twenties. The best thing to do is join them for a spin and see for yourself. I drove past Santry a few weeks ago and it looked very busy with cyclists of all ages. Anybody interested in joining any cycling club should try it out. Most clubs are very positive about cycling in all its forms and will welcome you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

ragazzo wrote: »
    There are plenty of ex members of most clubs. I heard of a certain person who became an ex member of 4 or 5 clubs over a short space of time. He had to set up his own club, which died within a year, and is now even an ex member of that. You probably heard of him too, Joe. There are some very good clubs around the north Dublin area with members and volunteers who put in a huge amount of work on behalf of the membership. From what I have seen over the past few years Dublin Wheelers would be included in that. As far as I know they have a development section which might suit cyclists in their twenties. The best thing to do is join them for a spin and see for yourself. I drove past Santry a few weeks ago and it looked very busy with cyclists of all ages. Anybody interested in joining any cycling club should try it out. Most clubs are very positive about cycling in all its forms and will welcome you.

Surely they are just winding the Dub wheelers guys on here up?

I go out occasionally with them and they are a great bunch well organised and great routes in NCD!

morana wrote: »
    Surely they are just winding the Dub wheelers guys on here up?

:)

was fun while it lasted too !!

Advertisement