Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JavaScript read image pixel data

Options
  • 31-07-2012 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering if there is an easy way to read the RGB info from an image in JavaScript. This is for a web app but the image is hosted on the server.

The image I have in mind is quite large and I wrote a C# app to write the info out to a txt file. Turns out that Windows thinks it's crashed/frozen once the text file reaches about 100MB :o

I've had a look around and nothing seems to work for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You can use a canvas in HTML5 and access it via JavaScript.
    With a canvas id="canvas"
    var img = new Image();
    img.src = "image.png";
    var ctx = document.getElementById("canvas").getContext("2d");
    ctx.drawImage(img, 0, 0);
    var pixelX = 1;
    var pixelY = 1;
    var data = ctx.getImageData(0, 0, pixelX, pixelY).data;

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

How big is the original image file?

Are you reading every pixel location in C# to determine the rgb value and you are then writing the rgb value to a text file?

I'm curious as to what you trying to do ? Maybe there is a different way to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Starting at 100x96
    Working up to flippin enormous!

I'm generating a terrain in WebGL from a height map.

Saved a copy last night. Downloadable here.
    User Firefox, Chrome and IE don't like it.

Giblet wrote: »
    You can use a canvas in HTML5 and access it via JavaScript.
    With a canvas id="canvas"
    var img = new Image();
    img.src = "image.png";
    var ctx = document.getElementById("canvas").getContext("2d");
    ctx.drawImage(img, 0, 0);
    var pixelX = 1;
    var pixelY = 1;
    var data = ctx.getImageData(0, 0, pixelX, pixelY).data;

Just implementing this now. Seems to be almost exactly what I want.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Just implementing this now. Seems to be almost exactly what I want.
    Thanks!

I threw something similar into your code last night to see if it worked (I was bored at the time:P). It worked for the small image.

It was much too slow for the big one, however. I'm sure you could do optimisations, but I can't help feel the big image will be hitting the limitations of JS and Canvas.

• Advertisement

I threw something similar into your code last night to see if it worked (I was bored at the time:P). It worked for the small image.

It was much too slow for the big one, however. I'm sure you could do optimisations, but I can't help feel the big image will be hitting the limitations of JS and Canvas.

I tested against a full size grey scale image and it took about 10 seconds to read all the pixel data into an array.
    var data = ctx.getImageData(0, 0, img.width, img.height).data;

Anyone know if you could get that to just read only the Red data or will I just user a for loop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Anyone know if you could get that to just read only the Red data or will I just user a for loop?

I don't think there is a call to only pull back the red bytes, so just looping by i + 4 really.

If only red is significant, would you be better off packing 4 heights in each pixel in the actual image?

I don't think there is a call to only pull back the red bytes, so just looping by i + 4 really.

If only red is significant, would you be better off packing 4 heights in each pixel in the actual image?

Do you mean instead of having
    [pixel1Info, useless, useless, useless]
    [pixel2Info, useless, useless, useless]
    Etc.
    have
    [pixel1Info, pixel2Info, pixel3Info, pixel4Info]
    [pixel5Info, pixel6Info, pixel7Info, pixel8Info]

If so that wouldn't lend itself to being as easily editable or viewable as the standard way.

I can crack open my current height maps in Paint and know how the terrain should look, then make some small changes if necessary.

It would make them much smaller, so maybe make a custom filetype for production release.

The more I think about it the more that idea seems to be the way to go... I'm making a web app, so bandwidth is key here...

Hah, HTML5, you are a bastard!

Creating my canvas in JS like this:
        img.onload = function() {
        var newCanvas = document.createElement('canvas');
        var ctx = newCanvas.getContext("2d");

And only half my map was getting a height, very strange. So then, eventually, I draw the canvas to the screen and lo and behold the canvas is the wrong size!

Lesson: Be specific about everything!
    var newCanvas = document.createElement('canvas');
    newCanvas.width = img.width;
    newCanvas.height = img.height;

Latest

Controls

W, A, S & D = Move camera in the X-Z plane. Does not account for camera direction, yet.

Q & E = Rotate camera.
    Shift and Crtl = Y axis

Again, use FireFox.

• Advertisement

chernowebgl.png

Not sure if anyone is interested or if this is like me posting in Google+....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Keep posting man, its more interesting that most posts here!

Advertisement