Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 NEW WARNING FROM MODS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

As a Liverpool fan who watched Everton as a rival in the 80 I have enormous respect for Kendall's 85-87 team, phenomenal side which deserved a shot in the European Cup. Fondly remember the cup winners cup victory against Rapid Vienna. Red and Blue both in mourning for Howard Kendall. Very surprised he was so young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,065 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Shocking performance today and a bleak day with the death of Howard. Rip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

As a Liverpool fan who watched Everton as a rival in the 80 I have enormous respect for Kendall's 85-87 team, phenomenal side which deserved a shot in the European Cup. Fondly remember the cup winners cup victory against Rapid Vienna. Red and Blue both in mourning for Howard Kendall. Very surprised he was so young.
    +1

I would like to echo Magico, I remember many fantastic years of Liverpool/Everton derbies where the title rested on the outcome of those two matches, great times for fans of both teams in the city.

Unlike many managers today, I always had a lot of time for Howard Kendall, may he rest in peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

+1

I would like to echo Magico, I remember many fantastic years of Liverpool/Everton derbies where the title rested on the outcome of those two matches, great times for fans of both teams in the city.

Unlike many managers today, I always had a lot of time for Howard Kendall, may he rest in peace.

He had the best team in a city that had the European champions.

That was a great time for merseyside particularly when you consider the government of the days desire to shut the city down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭wally79

Joshua J wrote: »
    Naismith lads. Is he worth it for his work rate if he gives the ball away 9/10 times he gets it?. I'd say no.

He's not a winger no matter how many times Martinez puts him on the left

For me he should be either off the main striker or on the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Never mind Naismith, how the hell is Barry still starting games - gives it away more often than a ten dollar hooker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

For all the talk of a good start to the season, apart from the Southampton game, I just don't see it.
    We beat an historically poor Chelsea side.
    The comeback against West Brom was superb, but we should never be in that position against a side like them.

I just don't see any significant improvement on last season.
    Admittedly I have long been of the opinion that Martinez is a bluffer, all talk and little substance, so I may be a tad biased, but for me he is taking us nowhere. Most of us would rightly say that our loveable neighbours have had a very poor start to the season (the sacking of their manager would seem to confirm this) and yet we are only ahead of them on goal difference.

Not one for the hire and fire culture of modern football, it doesn't work or serve any real purpose, but if we finish mid-table this season, with nothing tangible to show for it (euro qualification, a cup final (win or lose)) than what is the point in keeping him in charge? We should at least aspire to improve and achieve something, and for me that isn't the case right now and I don't see it changing.
    Hes mediocre and turning us into a mediocre club. Apart from the last 12-18 months at most, there was always the feeling with Moyes that we were kicking against the grain, fighting the established order of things and at least trying to be better. We've lost that I feel.
    I hope I'm wrong but I don't see it.

terrydel wrote: »
    For all the talk of a good start to the season, apart from the Southampton game, I just don't see it.
    We beat an historically poor Chelsea side.
    The comeback against West Brom was superb, but we should never be in that position against a side like them.

I just don't see any significant improvement on last season.
    Admittedly I have long been of the opinion that Martinez is a bluffer, all talk and little substance, so I may be a tad biased, but for me he is taking us nowhere. Most of us would rightly say that our loveable neighbours have had a very poor start to the season (the sacking of their manager would seem to confirm this) and yet we are only ahead of them on goal difference.

Not one for the hire and fire culture of modern football, it doesn't work or serve any real purpose, but if we finish mid-table this season, with nothing tangible to show for it (euro qualification, a cup final (win or lose)) than what is the point in keeping him in charge? We should at least aspire to improve and achieve something, and for me that isn't the case right now and I don't see it changing.
    Hes mediocre and turning us into a mediocre club. Apart from the last 12-18 months at most, there was always the feeling with Moyes that we were kicking against the grain, fighting the established order of things and at least trying to be better. We've lost that I feel.
    I hope I'm wrong but I don't see it.

Couldn't agree more

I think he's taking us the way he took Wigan

He is so invested in his philosophy which doesn't work.

He talks about being flexible but sets up the exact same way in every match no matter what.

He persists with Barry for 90 mins in every match despite his age and diminishing ability

I couldn't believe when the commentator against United said we hadn't scored from a set piece this season. Added to the fact we look very weak defending them really adds weight to the stories that he does not practice them in training because he doesn't see them as an important part of the game. That's stubbornness and nothing else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,725 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Howard Kendall was one of the reasons I picked the blues , his team of 85 -87 was possibly the best in Europe, always found it sad when he went back, was never going to happen again, with the way the ownership has been so badly handled since those heady days in the mid 80's
    R.I.P.

• Advertisement

thebaz wrote: »
    Howard Kendall was one of the reasons I picked the blues ,
    R.I.P.

you should really have hated him

Gavlor wrote: »
    you should really have hated him

its certainly been roller coaster - the highs of the mid 80's, the brushes with relegation, the ecstasy of the FA cup in '95, more false dawns, then Moyes gave us Champions league, then we were gone, Wayne Rooney, then he leaves , 20 years of broken promises from owners - I suppose I could support Leeds :)

Nice piece about the glory days of the mid 80s

https://twitter.com/sportsjoedotie/status/656437012862476288

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

wally79 wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more

I think he's taking us the way he took Wigan

He is so invested in his philosophy which doesn't work.

He talks about being flexible but sets up the exact same way in every match no matter what.

He persists with Barry for 90 mins in every match despite his age and diminishing ability

I couldn't believe when the commentator against United said we hadn't scored from a set piece this season. Added to the fact we look very weak defending them really adds weight to the stories that he does not practice them in training because he doesn't see them as an important part of the game. That's stubbornness and nothing else

I thought of this post when we conceded those 2 goals. Shocking vulnerability from the set piece for it to happen once....but it's dismaying that it happened twice in 2 minutes! :confused:

Another match with no purpose to any of the play and a team looking drained of confidence

Only positive is Barry is suspended for a game.

First half was awful, second half not much better - played hoofball to Lukaku and left him isolated, great tactics from Roberto!

• Advertisement

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I thought of this post when we conceded those 2 goals. Shocking vulnerability from the set piece for it to happen once....but it's dismaying that it happened twice in 2 minutes! :confused:

I think Howard has to claim some responsibility for the first one, like the one we conceded against Liverpool, he seems very reluctant to come for balls that reach the six yard line - which I always thought was goalkeeping 101

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Howard has to go

he is a calamity with any sort of ball arriving into the box

Another thing annoying me at the moment is the amount of short corners we take, even when we are behind, was getting very sick of it yesterday

Decent run coming up, we really need to start getting at teams and playing with more purpose. It's all a bit meh at the moment

Decent run coming up, we really need to start getting at teams and playing with more purpose. It's all a bit meh at the moment

Same meh as last season because Bobby hasn't changed tactics despite the disaster that was

He's not taking us anywhere. Time for a change

• Advertisement

Same meh as last season because Bobby hasn't changed tactics despite the disaster that was

He's not taking us anywhere. Time for a change

Won't happen, particularly given kenwrights current health issues. The problems with the board become even more obvious without their front man

Jags out til Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Jags out til Xmas.

His experience will be missed in the coming weeks. I don't know if any of the others are vocal enough to sort out our defence.

Was thinking, who is Vice Captain? Assume it is Howard?

Robles is starting tomorrow. I dunno which of them is worse. We badly need a keeper in January.

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Robles is starting tomorrow. I dunno which of them is worse. We badly need a keeper in January.

Robles was great tonight. Martinez has already said he'd be dropped for Sundays game against Sunderland. Once they don't put any crosses in the box, Everton should be alright.

Lumbo wrote: »
    Robles was great tonight. Martinez has already said he'd be dropped for Sundays game against Sunderland. Once they don't put any crosses in the box, Everton should be alright.

I think that statement all but confirms my thoughts that Martinez is a clown - I've never been a big fan of Robles but if he is performing well he should start ahead of Howard, I didn't see the game last night but by all accounts Robles should start

Martinez has his favourites and it appears that anything barring a suspension means they will play, which is a nonsense approach from any manager

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭wingbacknr5

I think that statement all but confirms my thoughts that Martinez is a clown - I've never been a big fan of Robles but if he is performing well he should start ahead of Howard, I didn't see the game last night but by all accounts Robles should start

Martinez has his favourites and it appears that anything barring a suspension means they will play, which is a nonsense approach from any manager

Agreed. To immediately state in the post match presser that Howard will start on Sunday and that "nothing changes" in relation to the goal keeping position is crazy stuff.

If Howard was in great form then fair enough, but he has been horrendous the past few games and needs to be dropped and left to reflect on his recent errors.

Martinez seems to have a very cosy relationship with some of the senior players which is not conducive to getting the best out of the squad as a whole.

One thing that the likes of Alex Ferguson, Joe Schmidt, Brian Cody etc have in common is that no player is indispensable regardless of past heroics or their popularity within the squad.

Where is the incentive for Robles or any other fringe player to bust a gut to get regular first team football when they see this type of rubbish going on? Galloway and Browning were only promoted due to injuries, Besic must be looking on at Barry week in week out wondering WTF.

I don't see this ending well. Unfortunately Martinez seems to have a similar pally relationship with Kenwright, and is unlikely to be told to get tough with under preforming players or get out as Kenwright prides himself on standing by his man no matter what. In a way this is commendable in the modern game, but sometimes needs must.

Mid table mediocrity seems to be future under the current regime.

That agent is a bit of a dickhead!

• Advertisement

Boro away in the league cup. Could be better, could have been worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Boro away in the league cup. Could be better, could have been worse

Can't really complain tbf.

Avoided Soton/Pool/City. Would have rathered away to Championship than home to any of those 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Martinez on criticism of Tim Howard's form:

"His role on the pitch is much more important than his individual performance."

The man is an absolute spoofer!

Scary isn't it!

What a joker

It's one of the few positions where the opposite completely applies

I just watched his pre Sunderland press conference

He says how great Joel did and how it is great to have competition for places.

I don't think he understands the word competition. It's use would imply that Joel has a chance of winning the place which is evidently untrue

Clown!!

I just watched his pre Sunderland press conference

He says how great Joel did and how it is great to have competition for places.

I don't think he understands the word competition. It's use would imply that Joel has a chance of winning the place which is evidently untrue

If we were actually doing well then I could put up with his nonsense - but when you mix nonsense from the manager with poor performances there can only be one direction the team is going in.

• Advertisement

find the abuse for Martinez pretty horrible here - yeah you all know better , he's a just a clown - He's managing a club with a skinflint owner , which under the circumstances is doing just about ok - its been a long time since only the best applied - nothing wrong supporting your players in public, and a goalkeepers can sometimes organise defences - give up

find the abuse for Martinez pretty horrible here - yeah you all know better , he's a just a clown - He's managing a club with a skinflint owner , which under the circumstances is doing just about ok - its been a long time since only the best applied - nothing wrong supporting your players in public, and a goalkeepers can sometimes organise defences - give up

What Martinez said was ridiculous. End of.

Everton don't practice set pieces. There's no point. Sure no one ever scores or concedes from a set piece,

Barry and Howard play 40 yards apart and are both undroppable due their organisation abilities. That has nothing to do with skinflint owner.

Lumbo wrote: »
    What Martinez said was ridiculous. End of.

maybe end of

• Advertisement

This is absolutely diabolical. The tactic appears to be to keep the ball and see what happens.

Pure muck.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Can't believe that last passage of play. 5-2 up at home to Sunderland, points i the bag and some neat interplay against a tired, disinterested Sunderland team...and Everton fans are still roaring for the ball to go forward and to stop passing it around.

Ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

This is absolutely diabolical. The tactic appears to be to keep the ball and see what happens.

Pure muck.

Absolutely disgraceful tactics today Gavlor

Great win today, much more like it - very pleased with the response to Sunderland equalising and very impressed with Kone - it doesn't mean that everything is rosy in the garden but it's a definite leap in the right direction

Pure muck.

With the benefit of hindsight I think the plan was to make Sunderland chase it and tire them out, then we put them to the sword

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement