Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 NEW WARNING FROM MODS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Absolutely disgraceful tactics today Gavlor

Great result, took our chances well but have a look at the stats. A rubbish Sunderland side got 19 shots on goal (more than Everton) from 38% possession.

We should have been 2 down after 10 mins.

Hopefully the win will give the players a bit more confidence vs decent opposition.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Gavlor wrote: »
    Great result, took our chances well but have a look at the stats. A rubbish Sunderland side got 19 shots on goal (more than Everton) from 38% possession.

We should have been 2 down after 10 mins.

Hopefully the win will give the players a bit more confidence vs decent opposition.

I wouldn't be surprised if half of those shots came when it was 5-2 and especially 6-2 with Howard saving a few shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

hardly muck, hardly a team managed by a clown - sure Msrtinez is not perfect, BUT a clown he is not , just don't understand the hatred for him. Its easy to play fantasy manager, but managing a team in real time, todays players with todays ego's is harder than it looks. anyway good result today - hopefully we can move on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

thebaz wrote: »
    hardly muck, hardly a team managed by a clown - sure Msrtinez is not perfect, BUT a clown he is not , just don't understand the hatred for him. Its easy to play fantasy manager, but managing a team in real time, todays players with todays ego's is harder than it looks. anyway good result today - hopefully we can move on

It's the statements he comes out with that make him a clown, he's a decent enough manager but he doesn't help himself with some of the nonsense he comes out with

He's a spoofer, now that Rodgers is gone the focus will move to how deluded Martinez is. That said, I'd dread to think who we would end up with if Martinez was to leave!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Good result today. Best leave it at that.

That said, I'd dread to think who we would end up with if Martinez was to leave!

and that would be my bigger worry , anyway lets just enjoy a good day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

Pretty strange game today.

We were muck until we scored the first goal.
    We then seemed to be cruising until they scored at which point we reverted to muck.
    Then suddenly we scored 3 goals very quickly and the game was over.

It is hard to be unhappy given the final score but there were plenty of problems evident throughout the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Only watched on a dodgy stream today but thought ye were very impressive, the goals conceeded were poor defensively but overall Sunderland didnt get much of a sniff. Think Barkley is going to be a top player, he is already class but given a few years he could be a worldy. He has it all, love watching him play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Was at the game and thought stones was shocking. Coleman didn't look fit and Barkley seemed to be off the pace. Great won in the end though

• Advertisement

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Was at the game and thought stones was shocking. Coleman didn't look fit and Barkley seemed to be off the pace. Great won in the end though

Coleman was unwell during the week and didn't train.

Lumbo wrote: »
    Coleman was unwell during the week and didn't train.

I know but was he rushed back. What is wrong with stones? Looks a shadow of the player of last season

I know but was he rushed back. What is wrong with stones? Looks a shadow of the player of last season

Head = turned

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Jesper

Anyone know how long Oviedo is out for THIS TIME?
    Defense is still very poor - Coleman out of Fantasy Football, Del Boy in for Barkley? Lakaku maybe for Pelle.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I don't think Stones head has been turned. With Jags out and Funky Maurice still bedding in, the back 4 is always goin to look shakey.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭wally79

Another big game this weekend. I hope Martinez keeps Kone in the team and doesn't go defensive because we are away. We look much better when we actually have a threat rather than inviting teams onto us with Lukaku up top on his own

Live on setanta too

Great first half although villa are limited, brutal tactics from them.

This talk of deulofeu back to barca is a bit worrying, he needs to be dropped!!!

In other news, well done Jamie vardy. What a story

happy days - given circumstances as good as it gets - enjoy

That first goal yesterday was poetry in motion, we knew the first run of games would be tough - especially as we haven't been able to play our best back 4 all season - but it pleases me that we are dominating the lower teams and getting goals to match our posession

• Advertisement

Well that second half was a total joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Martinez is clueless when it comes to subs

game was crying out for fresh legs on either flank, especially to help Galloway

if we want Champions League football. Everton need to be picking up 3 points at teams like Bournmouth. My link was very sketchy today but Everton looked terrible in the second half. Need to sort that out and hold onto our leads. In fairness, Everton haven't thrown away too many leads this season but need to be more ruthless.

if we want Champions League football. Everton need to be picking up 3 points at teams like Bournmouth. My link was very sketchy today but Everton looked terrible in the second half. Need to sort that out and hold onto our leads. In fairness, Everton haven't thrown away too many leads this season but need to be more ruthless.

Do you seriously think we have any chance of champions league??

Chelsea will be far after Christmas, Spurs are already stronger and Liverpool are looking a bit better under klopp.

Everton, the other hand, look like conceding every time a team attack us.

Do you seriously think we have any chance of champions league??

Chelsea will be far after Christmas, Spurs are already stronger and Liverpool are looking a bit better under klopp.

Everton, the other hand, look like conceding every time a team attack us.

Of course there's a chance. On current form they'll end up with 60 points but they've already played City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool. There's a lot of winable games coming up before Christmas. I'm certainly no going to write off the chances after a draw away from home, no matter how the point was obtained.

Of course there's a chance. On current form they'll end up with 60 points but they've already played City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool. There's a lot of winable games coming up before Christmas. I'm certainly no going to write off the chances after a draw away from home, no matter how the point was obtained.

It's the hope that kills you...

• Advertisement

It's the hope that kills you...

I gave up being upset a few seasons ago. I have a fear that's it's manifesting itself somewhere in my subconscious and I'm going to go postal.

should have won , but we are over-achieving given investment in comparison to our rivals - as a friend of mine - a Man Utd supporter said - you're so lucky to have Martinez - he's doing a great season this year , despite the slagging he gets here

We didn't play well today bar about 20 mins in the first half. Sat back in the second half and invited them on to us. Kone was knackered and left on. Mirallas should have came on with 30 mins to go for Kone. Looking forward to baines coming back. Galloway is getting exposed at left back. Still sick to throw it away so late but will be forgotten if we win on Tuesday.

should have won , but we are over-achieving given investment in comparison to our rivals - as a friend of mine - a Man Utd supporter said - you're so lucky to have Martinez - he's doing a great season this year , despite the slagging he gets here

Perhaps,

But would you agree with his game management this afternoon? I like the way we play but at some point you need to adjust the system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Gob****es cost me my accumulator.

• Advertisement

That second half was cack, I don't understand why we acceded control of the game to Bournemouth - if we had just gone out and repeated the first half we would have been fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭wally79

We didn't play well today bar about 20 mins in the first half. Sat back in the second half and invited them on to us. Kone was knackered and left on. Mirallas should have came on with 30 mins to go for Kone. Looking forward to baines coming back. Galloway is getting exposed at left back. Still sick to throw it away so late but will be forgotten if we win on Tuesday.

I don't believe baines should walk back in. Galloways been very good.

You made 2 very good points above but failed to link them

The reason Galloway was exposed towards the end was that Kone was knackered, kept giving the ball away and couldn't track back

It all fell apart once McCarthy went off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

wally79 wrote: »

It all fell apart once McCarthy went off

Why wasnt more made of this in the analysis? It seemed really obvious to me.

On MotD - not everyone's cup of tea I know - they focused on how quick we are to close Bournemouth down when they were in possession in the first half, come the second half it was the exact opposite, we stood off them and gave them so much time on the ball. It's hard to know if that came directly from the manager or what but it was so obvious that the players were tiring and needed fresh injections from the bench.

Most articles I've seen are focusing on "plucky Bournemouth" whereas I would focus on us pissing away the match through a complete reverse of tactics that made no sense whatsoever.

However, Del was not up to his usual standard and there were a few counters in the second half that broke down due to his poor passing - on another day it might have lead to another goal or two.

Perhaps,

But would you agree with his game management this afternoon? I like the way we play but at some point you need to adjust the system

just saying , fealt this was the season he should be judged on - and he is delivering , he has Everton playing good football, and we are in the right side of the league, and given the investment (or lack of) - thats as good as we should really expect - as someone said a a couple of months ago when things were not so good - who would be the replacement ?? - and that scares me - , sure he'll make mistakes , but thats football, in fact life - but overall a job well done -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

just saying , fealt this was the season he should be judged on - and he is delivering , he has Everton playing good football, and we are in the right side of the league, and given the investment (or lack of) - thats as good as we should really expect - as someone said a a couple of months ago when things were not so good - who would be the replacement ?? - and that scares me - , sure he'll make mistakes , but thats football, in fact life - but overall a job well done -

so many poor teams in the premier league this season

with the right attitude from management and players we could get into the Champions League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    so many poor teams in the premier league this season

with the right attitude from management and players we could get into the Champions League

Agreed. Leicester being joint top says it all. Maybe two of their players get in our team, Mahrez and Vardy. For me, Bobby's doing the bare minimum with the squad he has. Mullering the bottom sides is great but not winning games you should win (Liverpool/Swansea/Bournemouth/Watford) and capitulating at home (United/City) without a whimper and having jekyll and hyde halves like yesterday (Barnsley/WBA) does not a successful opening make imo.

Stones and Rom will be gone in the summer barring a good league finish/champions league so this season is a must do for Bobby and he needs to step up and get the team performing. Everyman and his dog saw yesterday coming 20 mins before it happened. Yeah we're not managers but we've watched enough football to know Kone was knackered with 30 to go and Galloway was getting skinned and a change was needed. Bobby did nout and the rest is history. Needs to do better imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Joshua J wrote: »
    Agreed. Leicester being joint top says it all. Maybe two of their players get in our team, Mahrez and Vardy. For me, Bobby's doing the bare minimum with the squad he has. Mullering the bottom sides is great but not winning games you should win (Liverpool/Swansea/Bournemouth/Watford) and capitulating at home (United/City) without a whimper and having jekyll and hyde halves like yesterday (Barnsley/WBA) does not a successful opening make imo.

Stones and Rom will be gone in the summer barring a good league finish/champions league so this season is a must do for Bobby and he needs to step up and get the team performing. Everyman and his dog saw yesterday coming 20 mins before it happened. Yeah we're not managers but we've watched enough football to know Kone was knackered with 30 to go and Galloway was getting skinned and a change was needed. Bobby did nout and the rest is history. Needs to do better imo.
    Spot on, this team is underperforming to quite a degree, that's an undeniable fact,
    If you boil a manager's job down to its most simple, it is to get the best or better out of the sum of the parts he has at his disposal.
    There is simply no way that this spoofer is doing that for us.

terrydel wrote: »
    Spot on, this team is underperforming to quite a degree, that's an undeniable fact,
    If you boil a manager's job down to its most simple, it is to get the best or better out of the sum of the parts he has at his disposal.
    There is simply no way that this spoofer is doing that for us.

the total disrespect here for Martinez - I keep saying I won't bother posting here again - he's a decent man , playing decent football - but lets just insult him - why not ask questions like why Crystal Palace or Bournemouth are getting investment , and yet the real spoofer Billy Kenwright 15 years later can't , still bull****ting about a stadium - but keep the insults up for Martinez , anyone could manage Everton better - Goodbye.

the total disrespect here for Martinez - I keep saying I won't bother posting here again - he's a decent man , playing decent football - but lets just insult him - why not ask questions like why Crystal Palace or Bournemouth are getting investment , and yet the real spoofer Billy Kenwright 15 years later can't , still bull****ting about a stadium - but keep the insults up for Martinez , anyone could manage Everton better - Goodbye.

You're right about kenwright but your blind defending of decent man Martinez is a bit ott and goes against the opinion held by the vast majority of evertonians.

Bottom line is that we all want Martinez to do well but I'm not sure if he's tactically astute enough to do so.

Who would I rather have in charge? No idea, but that won't stop me criticising Martinez decision making if I think it's merited.

• Advertisement

You're right about kenwright but your blind defending of decent man Martinez is a bit ott and goes against the opinion held by the vast majority of evertonians.

Bottom line is that we all want Martinez to do well but I'm not sure if he's tactically astute enough to do so.

Who would I rather have in charge? No idea, but that won't stop me criticising Martinez decision making if I think it's merited.

just don't think he is given a fair chance - given lack of investment last summer in comparison to others , I'd say he is over-achieving , playing decent football , much better than the Moyes era - sure he's not perfect , makes mistakes - but he's on a hiding to nothing , certainly here - and seams a decent sort , in comparison to some of the other ego heads in the Premiership.

just don't think he is given a fair chance - given lack of investment last summer in comparison to others , I'd say he is over-achieving , playing decent football , much better than the Moyes era - sure he's not perfect , makes mistakes - but he's on a hiding to nothing , certainly here - and seams a decent sort , in comparison to some of the other ego heads in the Premiership.

Wages wise we actually just about finished where we should last season: https://twitter.com/swissramble/status/669098174267699200

I meant to also add in the transfer spend for last summer for a bit of balance.

All in, anything below top 10 is failure, 10th-8th on par and 7th + is overachieving.

Wages wise we actually just about finished where we should last season:

last year was poor for sure - but we seam much better this year - don't think we had the squad to compete in the Europa- I always felt this was the year to judge him - he got a lot of stick for purchasing Lukaku , and right now that looks money well spent - hopefully we can keep him long term, I only want whats best for Everton -

last year was poor for sure - but we seam much better this year - don't think we had the squad to compete in the Europa- I always felt this was the year to judge him - he got a lot of stick for purchasing Lukaku , and right now that looks money well spent - hopefully we can keep him long term, I only want whats best for Everton -

We've no European football to contend with, and we are still well outside the top 4 despite it being probably the poorest quality premier league in history and us having probably our best squad in history. The blame for that must lie somewhere, and I and plenty of others put a lot of it at the door of the manager.
    He's not getting the best out of what he has, not even close.
    Hes a bluffer for me, always has been. If reading that upsets or annoys you, I'm sorry, but its my opinion to which I am fully entitled, and one which I feel is well supported by the facts.

We've no European football to contend with, and we are still well outside the top 4 despite it being probably the poorest quality premier league in history and us having probably our best squad in history. The blame for that must lie somewhere, and I and plenty of others put a lot of it at the door of the manager.
    Hes a bluffer for me, always has been. If reading that upsets or annoys you, I'm sorry, but its my opinion to which I am fully entitled, and one which I feel is well supported by the facts.

and I'm entitled to my opinion , that the constant criticism is harsh -

Who put together this best squad in our history ?
    Who puts the plays together that is so much more imaginative than the dull but effective football of Moyes ?

and I'm entitled to my opinion , that the constant criticism is harsh -

Who puts the plays together that is so much more imaginative than the dull but effective football of Moyes ?
    Course youre entitled to your opinion, but no need to throw your rattle out of the pram when others don't share it :D

A lot of the squad was put together by the previous manager. The whole first choice back 4 and goalkeeper for a start.
    In Moyes last couple of seasons we played some superb football, it astonishes me how quickly people have forgotten this.
    Hammering an abysmal Sunderland and Villa is hardly putting is the same bracket as Barcelona. We don't do it very often when it really counts under Martinez. I don't rate him and have been consistent in that view.
    Hes all talk without much substance.
    And I don't buy the idea that we are playing some different sport under him than we did under Moyes. The football has improved in parts, but not to the extent some would have you believe. And in a lot of ways, its got worse.

Course youre entitled to your opinion, but no need to throw your rattle out of the pram when others don't share it :D

I have an opinion that seams to differ to everyone here , so whats the point of staying here, thats why i am throwing my rattle out :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

He was hailed as a miracle worker for signing Rom, although I'd say we probably put in the best package for him at the time. The stick he got was for not playing to Roms strengths i.e get him running on to stuff not with his back to goal constantly. We were all saying that. Low and behold Gerry is hitting him early and often this year and he's banging them in. Who'd have thought it.

The board have played a larger part for that than Martinez working with him and Moyes to put this squad together. Bobby didn't break open his piggy bank yet you'll slay the board and deify Bobby. He does have that effect on some folk for some reason I don't see.
    I have an opinion that seams to differ to everyone here , so whats the point of staying here, thats why i am throwing my rattle out biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Honestly not being smart but you'd really enjoy Grand Old Team. Criticism of Bobby is not tolerated over there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Best squad in our history? Are you having a giraffe? It's not even the best squad in the Premier League, that was Moyes team in 08/09 with Arteta, Cahill, Yakubu etc. .

The 80s and 60s teams were better by miles, 2 championships in each decade.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement