Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 NEW WARNING FROM MODS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Baines is back today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Lukaku again. Sixth game in a row. 1-0 Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Need to take those chances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Honestly... How many f*cking more important goals can we concede from corners?

Watford, Bournemouth, palace and now Norwich.

Champions league my arse

Gavlor wrote: »
    Watford, Bournemouth, palace and now Norwich.

Champions league my arse

Yep forget about top 4 with so many draws. Game should have been over at ht

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Well we all saw that coming and that's the problem. The only thing that matters is the "philosophy". He relegated Wigan without changing anything to try and keep them up. Waved cheerio and comes into Everton boasting how he'll get us champions league. Has a good first 6 months and since we've been the most Jekyll and Hyde team I've ever seen. But he won't change. Ever. That's why if the board ever think we need to change tactically, even slightly, then he has to go cause he won't. If you can't defend, and we can't, you've no hope of champions league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

We don't practice taking corners, according to Martinez

We clearly don't practice defending them anyway

Defending corners is all about teamwork and defending as a unit. Everyone has a job and must do it.

But Martinez is a nice guy and Everton are lucky to have him.

We could end up with david o'leary if he leaves

• Advertisement

If we hadn't thrown away 6 points in the last 3 games we'd be in the title race. Martinez needs to practice defending set pieces.

Was looking mirallas to play more the last few weeks but his performance today showed his head is set on a transfer. Still think we need a replacement for kone.

And a new keeper is a must. Valdes in January?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    We don't practice taking corners, according to Martinez

Did he actually say that?

Where?

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Did he actually say that?

Where?

Heard that myself. Not worth it apparently

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Heard that myself. Not worth it apparently

Yes I have heard it loads of times too nut never actually seen where he said it. I have seen where he has said the opposite though (just this week for example). Is it one of those things that gets repeated so many times, it becomes regarded as fact even when its not?

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Yes I have heard it loads of times too nut never actually seen where he said it. I have seen where he has said the opposite though (just this week for example). Is it one of those things that gets repeated so many times, it becomes regarded as fact even when its not?

From Osmans book,
    Another difference between the managers is their approach to set-pieces. With Moyes, we could spend an hour and a half on Fridays going through routines because he was so meticulous in that aspect. If I was a manager, I'd probably do the same because fine lines can determine games. He hated losing goals at set-pieces because it was something he could influence." "Martinez doesn't really do that. It's rare for us to work on set-pieces. You're given your roles, you're supposed to understand them and if you don't, find out, think for yourself. That was a big changeover for us."
    "We questioned why we weren't working on set-pieces and Graeme Jones, the assistant manager, said: "How many do you have to defend in a game? Three? So why would we spend two hours standing around to defend three set-pieces when we could work on moving the ball.

• Advertisement

Happens to a lot of promising young players

On another note, I reckon we'll beat Leicester today
    4-3

He still comes across as a tit in that article. Just goes to show how important the correct mentality is.

I also think we'll beat Leicester. 3-1 for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

It's plain to see where the problems are but Everton are 3-1 down at home and there still hasn't been a change. Everton won't win **** all with Martinez in charge. Nice on the eye, mid table mediocrity that has nothing to do with investment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

He still comes across as a tit in that article. Just goes to show how important the correct mentality is.

So close to being right ;)

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

2 wins in 10. Martinez out for me

• Advertisement

Silly me!

If you always do what you've always done then you'll always get what you've always got.

No change, no ideas, no system, no chance

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

2 wins in 10. Martinez out for me

Won't happen, unfortunately. We'll recover in the new year and finish 8th. It's depressing how predictable this is for us.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Can one of the mods change the title to "Wigan Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread"?. Ta.

Howard and Kone need replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Mirallas' lack of game time is criminal

Mirallas' lack of game time is criminal

Esp when kone is playing poorly and not good enough. Sooner jags and McCarthy back the better. New keeper is a must and a left winger or just play mirallas there.

Martinez is so stubborn and set in his ways.
    He's like the Trappatoni of the premier league

what is so frustrating is how stagnant the club is at the moment. The owners, stadium, investment, manager etc.

The likes of lukaku, stones and Barkley will be sold sooner rather than later and while the short term finances will get a boost it'll further cement the spiral into insignificance that has taken over the club. Spurs, West Ham, city either have or will surpass Everton and given the financial backing at the likes of palace and Leicester they could soon join that list.

All well and good rival fans saying at least we aren't a Leeds or a villa but we're only a couple of bad transfer windows away.

Not a mention anywhere of Martinez getting sacked unfortunately. Who do we get to replace him?

• Advertisement

I'd go abroad - Ronald de Boer would my choice

I had a look at next manager odds and can't believe who the favourite is. David moyes.

Think I'd chance howe or maybe mark Hughes. Not a great choice to pick from

Quique Florez anyone?!

Roberto won't be sacked.

Lumbo wrote: »
    Roberto won't be sacked.

Not as long as the cast from last of the summer wine are in charge

Seeing kenwright in the crowd yesterday he looked very ill. Saying that most of us look ill watching everton lately. Martinez is getting an easy ride with the media because he's a nice man but it's now obvious he's out of his depth. Howard and kone should be benched ASAP and we badly need jags and Mccarthy back.

Pretty good synopsis of the current state of affairs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

That video should be about 3 minutes shorter, lot of waffling. He's just starting what's blatantly obvious to everyone except Martinez.

This article from Michael ball sums it up fairly well.

Martinez is a one trick pony

https://twitter.com/livechoefc/status/679026473068421120

• Advertisement

Since August 2014 Martinez has a win % of 30%. How is he not under more pressure?

Since August 2014 Martinez has a win % of 30%. How is he not under more pressure?

It's a bit mental alright. The media seem to think that mid table obscurity is good enough for little old Everton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

It's a bit mental alright. The media seem to think that mid table obscurity is good enough for little old Everton

Given the current ownership , lack of ambition, mid table obscurity unfortunately is what is realistic - If we sack Martinez , do you believe Mourinho or Pep G will come to Goodison ??
    sadly its a long time since Everton have been a top 5 club in all areas. With the right funding , the team could really move on, but we have been in slow decline under Bill K reign of broken promises.

thebaz wrote: »
    Given the current ownership , lack of ambition, mid table obscurity unfortunately is what is realistic - If we sack Martinez , do you believe Mourinho or Pep G will come to Goodison ??
    sadly its a long time since Everton have been a top 5 club in all areas. With the right funding , the team could really move on, but we have been in slow decline under Bill K reign of broken promises.

The ownership is a huge issue and is the main reason why we are stagnant. However if you consider our current squad and the fact that Leicester, palace, Stoke all have more points in 2015 (not this season, the calendar year) and WBA have only 2 points less then I think the manager and coaching staff need to be questioned.

49 points in 12 months is abysmal given the talent in the squad.

I knew things weren't great but that win % is a joke - if that had been Moyes we would all be baying for his head. I fear that Martinez will be left to his own devices unless we are in true danger of relegation - by which stage our best talents will have left and no decent manager would want to look at us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

The ownership is a huge issue and is the main reason why we are stagnant. However if you consider our current squad and the fact that Leicester, palace, Stoke all have more points in 2015 (not this season, the calendar year) and WBA have only 2 points less then I think the manager and coaching staff need to be questioned.

I know Leicester are doing well, and are being talked up as league winners , but realistically they are an average team , punching above there weight - I'd be amazed if they re in the top 4 by April - evey few years small team does it - Sothampton, Swansea etc . - but consistently they are in a different league to Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea and now City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭wally79

thebaz wrote: »
    I know Leicester are doing well, and are being talked up as league winners , but realistically they are an average team , punching above there weight - I'd be amazed if they re in the top 4 by April - evey few years small team does it - Sothampton, Swansea etc . - but consistently they are in a different league to Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea and now City

Leicesters manager is good but not great. I think that's all we need. Bobby is stubborn in preparation and execution and all the media sound bites about being in a great moment don't change that

wally79 wrote: »
    Leicesters manager is good but not great. I think that's all we need. Bobby is stubborn in preparation and execution and all the media sound bites about being in a great moment don't change that

Leicester's defence is very poor but they paper over the cracks with their attacking panache - we had over 65% possession against them and they still scored three times

Not clinical enough in front of goals if you ask me.

Low risk 'If in doubt, put ball into row Z' defending is needed

200m US takeover talk in the times tomorrow. Hopefully it goes through and they have a manager and a keeper lined up

6 weeks to look at the books. I'll believe this when they're drinking pints in the Winslow and eating scouse pies. One good sign is that it's s creditable newspaper (despite its owner) and a decent jouranalist reporting it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement