Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 NEW WARNING FROM MODS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Its all ok though, because we play nice football. I tbe ok with some fans if we got relegated because we play nice football.

We have the most talented Everton squad in 10-15 years but have the most talentless manager since Mike Walker.

Come on Kenwright get rid of him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Roberto Martinez: Everton have become 'fearful' of home matches

Everton boss Roberto Martinez believes his side have become "fearful" of playing at Goodison Park.
    The Toffees have won just three of their last 14 home matches and were beaten 2-1 by Swansea on Sunday.
    "We were looking forward to coming to Goodison and enjoying our football, but we can't find a way to do that," said Martinez, whose side have not won a home league game since November.
    "We have become fearful and expect the worst."

Everton have won at Goodison in both the FA Cup and Capital One Cup this year, but are without a home victory since beating Aston Villa 4-0 on 21 November.

Since then, they have drawn against Crystal Palace and Tottenham and lost to Leicester, Stoke and now Swansea.

From the BBC website:

Roberto Martinez: Everton have become 'fearful' of home matches

Everton boss Roberto Martinez believes his side have become "fearful" of playing at Goodison Park.
    The Toffees have won just three of their last 14 home matches and were beaten 2-1 by Swansea on Sunday.
    "We were looking forward to coming to Goodison and enjoying our football, but we can't find a way to do that," said Martinez, whose side have not won a home league game since November.
    "We have become fearful and expect the worst."

Everton have won at Goodison in both the FA Cup and Capital One Cup this year, but are without a home victory since beating Aston Villa 4-0 on 21 November.

Since then, they have drawn against Crystal Palace and Tottenham and lost to Leicester, Stoke and now Swansea.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭boardie100

eh i dunno wrote: »
    https://vine.co/v/iibdZlzlMWI

I've watched this about 20 times and still can't work out why Howard steps backwards when ayew is coming towards him. If Howard came to meet the admittedly short back pass he would have got there first. Clown.

i thought this was mainly howards fault yesterday, he didnt even look to see who was coming... if he had he would have come to meet it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The everton fans were awful on Sunday. I'm not surprised the players hate the place.

Jeering your own goalkeeper, even if he is a bit sh*t......is really bad form. And they were on the teams back from about 5 minutes in. I get that they want to see a win or two on home soil but making the players brick themselves every time they get the ball isn't going to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭boardie100

this is a good article from the end of december and sums things up perfectly

http://www.back-post.com/2015/12/29/everton-six-wins-from-nineteen-games-six/

There is a current Premier League side who had their lowest league finish in ten seasons last year, registering their lowest points total in that time in the process. At the half way stage of this campaign, they are on course to register their second lowest points total in that same timeframe (should they mirror the form they showed from August to January).

The only 3 victories in their last 12 games have come against the league’s bottom three sides. In fact they have won just 6 league games from 19 all season.

SIX wins from nineteen games. SIX.

The same team has been labelled “electric” and “exhilarating”, their players have been lathered in coats of adulatory journalistic phlegm and their manager pedestalised.

That team is Everton FC. That manager is Roberto Martinez.

It’s hard not to get lured in and swallowed up by the general positive vibes that you get when watching Everton play. They attack with pace and guile, they seem to have great players all over the pitch, but they hardly ever win. Everton would be the perfect case study for the “entertainment vs success” debate.

As I pointed out earlier, last season was their lowest league finish in a decade, but Goodison Park also recorded its highest average attendance in that same ten year span despite them winning just 7 of their 19 home games. Crap results, but the fans kept coming in droves. So far in 2015/16 their home record stands at 3 wins from 10.

Everton are producing the kind of results that would see other manager’s slaughtered in the press and on the terraces in equal measure, so how has Martinez dodged the criticism?

Granted, Everton seem to play well most weeks, but shouldn’t that in itself set alarm bells ringing? You often hear the old football adage “it’s always a good sign to play badly and win”, but shouldn’t the reverse of that clichéd statement be something of a concern to Blues fans? If your team plays well every week and STILL can’t win…….what happens when they play poorly?

Everton’s easiness on the eye has blinded many to a truth that has been hiding in plain sight. Everton’s results have been atrocious for 18 months. EIGHTEEN months. This is no temporary dip, no momentary lapse, no short lived bungle – it’s a long term pattern of underperformance.

The headlines wax lyrical about Lukaku, Deulofeu, Stones and Barkley who produce show stopping moments, but Everton are not winning near enough football matches. The show stopping moments are just magical seconds buried within weekly 90 minute failures.

Martinez’ Teflonic ability to deflect and avoid the critics was apparent during his tenure at Wigan too. The Latics were a Premier League team for 8 consecutive seasons, 4 before Martinez and 4 with him. They finished 10th, 17th, 14th and 11th before Martinez arrival and 16th, 16th, 15th and a relegated 18th with the Spaniard. He made them worse. Easier on the eye, but worse. It’s only fair to acknowledge Wigan’s miraculous FA Cup win in his last season, but the club have since swirled down the English league football drain and probably won’t be back for a long, long time – if ever at all.

In his first season at Everton he bested his predecessor David Moyes by one place, finishing 5th to Moyes 6th the season before. If we open the history books again, Everton’s last 10 Premier League placings look like this: 6th, 5th, 5th, 8th, 7th, 7th, 6th, 5th and 11th last season. Should Everton fail to redress 18 months of poor form, they look set for another mid table finish this time around. So, speaking in terms of league finishes, Martinez has made Everton worse. Easier on the eye, but worse. Can you see a pattern emerging?

Evertonians seem thrilled with their lot. They probably enjoy their team’s tag as the league’s great entertainers. In a season where one of football’s biggest headlines has been Man Utd’s transformation into the Premier League’s most boring side, Blues fans have been treated to gluts of goals and drama by the bucketful. But they hardly ever win games. They don’t win as many games as Crystal Palace, West Ham, Watford, West Brom or Stoke and Everton have better players than all of them.

At what point does the mist lift from eyes distracted by the pretty passing carousel? Are those at Goodison Park transfixed and stupefied by a studious Spanish face and articulate English in a Spanish accent? At what point do you list the talent at Martinez disposal and correctly conclude that his results just don’t measure up?

If we get to February/March with Everton still languishing in midtable, don’t be surprised to hear the first rumblings of Scouse discontent. If Lukaku picks up an injury or loses a bit of form, those rumblings might start even earlier. Or maybe all it will take is for one big name to take a swipe before everyone realizes that the Emperor is nude?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Kirby wrote: »
    The everton fans were awful on Sunday. I'm not surprised the players hate the place.

Jeering your own goalkeeper, even if he is a bit sh*t......is really bad form. And they were on the teams back from about 5 minutes in. I get that they want to see a win or two on home soil but making the players brick themselves every time they get the ball isn't going to help.

Everton fans have been putting up with this nonsense for the last two seasons. It's not something that's happened overnight. The dog on the street could tell you what needs to be done but Evertons manager is more concerned about his philosophy.
    Howard also deserves the abuse he's getting. He's made huge mistakes this season and has the audacity to call the fans clueless in the press and then sarcastically clap them at Goodison. The sooner he's gone the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Gavlor wrote: »
    Takeover has collapsed.

Where'd you get this from?

Look who's hanging around the club today though. Our chairman Bill (Or next chairman called Bill that is)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Where'd you get this from?

Look who's hanging around the club today though. Our chairman Bill (Or next chairman called Bill that is)

popped up from a few different individuals on Twitter etc towards the end of last week....

Imagine bill gates throwing a few bob in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

If they are bricking themselves when they get the ball, tell them the door is that way

popped up from a few different individuals on Twitter etc towards the end of last week....

The reason I questioned it was coz I heard something on Sunday night from a personal friend of mine in Liverpool and it's getting out on the internet today - about a letter from Bill that was read out to staff at the Swansea game where Bill thanked them and said goodbye. But nobody knows if it was a 'goodbye I'm selling' or goodbye because of something else.

This is not just a rumor. It's 100% true.

The reason I questioned it was coz I heard something on Sunday night from a personal friend of mine in Liverpool and it's getting out on the internet today - about a letter from Bill that was read out to staff at the Swansea game where Bill thanked them and said goodbye. But nobody knows if it was a 'goodbye I'm selling' or goodbye because of something else.

This is not just a rumor. It's 100% true.

Yeah I heard that on Sunday evening. His health is poorly though

If they are bricking themselves when they get the ball, tell them the door is that way

that's nonsense. Have you ever had thousands of people shout at you when you get the ball? Your own fans? It's soul destroying and even the best players in the world are affected by it.

If the fans arent happy than by all means boo the board, boo the manager. Boo the players as they go off. But booing them a few minutes into a game is just going to make sure they play sh*t. It's counter productive and ridiculously stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

that's nonsense. Have you ever had thousands of people shout at you when you get the ball? Your own fans? It's soul destroying and even the best players in the world are affected by it.

If the fans arent happy than by all means boo the board, boo the manager. Boo the players as they go off. But booing them a few minutes into a game is just going to make sure they play sh*t. It's counter productive and ridiculously stupid.

Have you watched much Everton in the last 18 months?. We didn't get near the ball for the first 3 minutes and I and every Everton fan knows that when this team starts slow we're in big trouble. We all knew what was coming and the crowd were trying to get in to the players to get them going. You'll say Stones back pass was a result of the booing but I'd say the crowd were booing cause he's got that backpass in him of late. Don't matter anyway Stones be gone by August his heads been turned and it shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Lose tonight, and Bobby will be under huge pressure

We're capable of getting a result though, and scoring.

Will probably be 5-4 or something mad

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

nice_guy80 wrote: »

I'd accept losing tonight and Sunday if it meant Martinez getting the sack. That's how much I want him out at this stage.

I'd accept losing tonight and Sunday if it meant Martinez getting the sack. That's how much I want him out at this stage.

You want to not win cups in the hope of getting a manager who could win cups?

Alright

Jaysus, that's a bit extreme!

I'd accept winning every game between now and may including both cups of it meant sticking with Martinez!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭wally79

I'd like to win the league cup but not if it means he stays. The league position is terrible and we show no signs of improving.

I know we are trophy starved but people are talking like winning the mickey mouse league cup will make this a good season.

• Advertisement

Rumours on reddit that former San Diego Padres owner John Moores has just bought the club. All rumour at this point but it would tie into that story about takeovers recently.

Rumours on reddit that former San Diego Padres owner John Moores has just bought the club. All rumour at this point but it would tie into that story about takeovers recently.

Here's a link to that story. I'm sceptical

https://twitter.com/toffeetv1/status/692274842226266114

wally79 wrote: »
    I'd like to win the league cup but not if it means he stays. The league position is terrible and we show no signs of improving.

Does it really matter whether we finish 8th or 13th tho?

Even getting into the Champions League is alot less significant money-wise than it used to be considering everyone is getting so much TV money in the PL from next season.

Does it really matter whether we finish 8th or 13th tho?

Even getting into the Champions League is alot less significant money-wise than it used to be considering everyone is getting so much TV money in the PL from next season.

It matters in terms of holding on to and signing players.

Do you think Lukaku or stones care about winning the league cup and finishing 13th in the league? No they want to play in CL like every ambitious player.

If we are trying to sign players like yarmolenko do you think they care if we won the League Cup or are they more interested in the clubs ambition and whether we have any possibility of getting to the CL?

wally79 wrote: »
    It matters in terms of holding on to and signing players.

Do you think Lukaku or stones care about winning the league cup and finishing 13th in the league? No they want to play in CL like every ambitious player.

If we are trying to sign players like yarmolenko do you think they care if we won the League Cup or are they more interested in the clubs ambition and whether we have any possibility of getting to the CL?

I referred to the CL money-wise. Not player signing/retention wise. But no, I don't think Lukaku and Stones care anymore than I do whether we finish 8th or 13th and I do think they'd much rather win the league cup than finish those 5 or 6 places higher. If we're up against the likes of Arsenal for Yarmalenko as seems likely, he'll opt for them over us whether we're in the CL or not. We're always going to be restricted to signing players that the title chasers aren't interested in - until we become title chasers ourselves and pay similar wages to them.

But I've seen you state here the other day that no players care about the league cup. You're wrong. Look at the footage from on the pitch and in the dressing room at Anfield last night and come back and tell me that players don't care about the league cup. They've only gotten to the final yet, not won it, and they're already delirious!

I referred to the CL money-wise. Not player signing/retention wise. But no, I don't think Lukaku and Stones care anymore than I do whether we finish 8th or 13th and I do think they'd much rather win the league cup than finish those 5 or 6 places higher. If we're up against the likes of Arsenal for Yarmalenko as seems likely, he'll opt for them over us whether we're in the CL or not. We're always going to be restricted to signing players that the title chasers aren't interested in - until we become title chasers ourselves and pay similar wages to them.

But I've seen you state here the other day that no players care about the league cup. You're wrong. Look at the footage from on the pitch and in the dressing room at Anfield last night and come back and tell me that players don't care about the league cup. They've only gotten to the final yet, not won it, and they're already delirious!

Thats a short term reaction to winning a semi final/final and a tense penalty shootout. Long term I dont think any player is going to have the league cup in their career goals.

I honestly don't see how people can compare winning this cup to progression in the league. "until we become title chasers ourselves" - that's not going to happen with the attitude that it doesnt matter if we finish 13th as long as we go on a cup run.

Well if this takeover happens I hope they give Bobby the boot and get Jose in. Would be a great show of intent. We'll win games again and can get rid in two years just before he goes crackers. Bobby needs to work on his philosophy and if he believes in it so much he can take it to Dundee Utd or Raith Rovers and get it working there. Everton aint no guinea pig.

Joshua J wrote: »
    Well if this takeover happens I hope they give Bobby the boot and get Jose in. Would be a great show of intent. We'll win games again and can get rid in two years just before he goes crackers. Bobby needs to work on his philosophy and if he believes in it so much he can take it to Dundee Utd or Raith Rovers and get it working there. Everton aint no guinea pig.

Martinez ain't for changing and you're living in lala land of you think we could get Jose!

Current favourite to be next manager????

David Moyes @ 5/1

Martinez ain't for changing and you're living in lala land of you think we could get Jose!

Current favourite to be next manager????

David Moyes @ 5/1

I struggle to see where Bobby goes after this if/when it ends at Everton. Don't see any top team taking him on. Jose got no more big clubs left to go to maybe a project would be just up his alley, who knows. If he wanted to stay in England where else could you see him?. But yeah probably dreaming tbf.

Moyes?. Nahhhh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭chicorytip

It appears Tim Howard may be on his way to Colorado Rapids. A model professional, I have to say, with thirteen years distinguished service to his credit.

• Advertisement

From the Fiver. A daily jokey football mail by the guardian.

"
    Sometimes The Fiver wishes it had a boss like Bobby M. Much like with Everton’s defence, errors and lapses of concentration at Fiver Towers are commonplace. But here is the key difference: we may be verbally abused and occasionally have a hard object hurled at us when the mistake is made, while Martínez takes no such approach. Instead he builds his charges up and attempts to turn them into something they might not necessarily be. Take John Stones, also known as The Future of Defending. He is a “phenomenal”, “world class” player, according to his manager, despite being viewed by almost everybody else as promising but with a lot to learn. Namely that a Cruyff Turn in your own box in the final minute of a tight game is a bad call.

Stones’s performances of late have been questionable but instead of tempering expectations about a 21-year-old still learning his trade, Bobby’s praise has actually grown more effusive beforeWednesday’s Coca-Cola Cup semi-final second leg at Manchester City. “John Stones is in the right environment to fulfil his potential as one of the greatest players England has ever seen,” he trilled. Should we really take stock in such comments from a man who said after Everton won the first leg 2-1 that Gareth Barry was “one of the best English players ever”? Probably not, as it’s more than likely a ruse to deflect attention from his own poor job of late.

Yes, Bobby’s been getting off a little easily of late, given that he has one of the league’s best strikers, a host of talented midfielders, and defenders capable of becoming all-time greats at his disposal. No Premier League team has a worse defensive record at home, they have won only three in the league at Goodison and sit eight points above relegation. Only Newcastle, Sunderland and Aston Villa – the current bottom three – have won fewer games and twice they have gone 3-2 ahead in injury-time only to endure the sour taste of hubris after celebrating a bit too much. The superlatives keep rolling out of the manager’s mouth, but his methods are being found out.

It makes this game all the more important. Failure to reach Wembley would effectively mean the end of their season in January. And not only is there pressure from Everton fans, but the entire city of Liverpool. Imagine the convoy heading for Wembley next month! The excitement on Merseyside in the build-up! The battle for tickets! The baiting down the pub and in the corner shop! It would be Merseyside’s day in the sun because, let’s face it, when Pep Guardiola and José Mourinho both roll up to Manchester in the summer, this north-west footballing hotbed will be back in the shadows. So no pressure, Bobby. It’s time to show us what you have been seeing."

Osman starts, Stones at rb. Could be a long night

What a brutal midfield.

That muppet Martinez said on Monday that both McCarthy & Coleman are fit to play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

be great if the city of liverpool once again had 2 teams in a cup final, coybib

great start

crappy deflection off Baines who turned his back.

Osman and Cleverly not offering anything.

great start

crappy deflection off Baines who turned his back.

Osman and Cleverly not offering anything.

If we score 3 more we have a chance

Half time thoughts:

We need more possession
    They poop their pants every time we break with pace
    There's more goals in this for us but Osman has to come off, for Lennon maybe.
    Swap Cleverley for McCarthy too
    Lukaku looks exhausted
    Sky are (un+s!!!!
    Surely if we can score next, we won't concede another 3. right? RIGHT??

Pellegrini reckognised that a change was needed so he makes it at half time.

We are playing with 9 and a half players and nothing will change till the hour mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Robbed there lads.

disgraceful

Sh1te referee again

City spent the first half bawling and shouting at the refs. Got everything in the second half. We don't do it and get nothing. Aguero is different class though, different class.

Crap decision for the second goal but barry was scratching his hole, play the f&cking whistle.

Stones badly out of position for the 3rd.

Why didn't Coleman start????

See ya bobby

get out of the club Bobby

• Advertisement

This is the kind of thing that gets managers sacked.....

IMG_20160127_161753.jpg

...at other clubs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Get out of my club Martinez you fraud

No doubt Roberto will focus on how unlucky we were and how angry he is, while completely ignoring the fact that we have the defensive capabilities of a wet paper bag

GTFO of my club you pathetic excuse for a manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Heartbreaking that. Robbed, as per usual.
    They were the better side and as usual our heads dropped once they got that scandalous decision, but no doubt about it that decision was THE major moment of the game.
    I am convinced Atkinson saw it and did nothing. He has given far too many biased decisions against us for it to be a mere coincedence. He is a corrupt, cheating twat.
    Utterly fed up after that, and to be honest, after 30+ years I really and truly dont give a flying **** any more. Its not worth it. I will always be an Evertonian and care for the club, but I genuinely feel like just jibbing any active involvement with it. Its a waste of emotional energy.

terrydel wrote: »
    Utterly fed up after that, and to be honest, after 30+ years I really and truly dont give a flying **** any more. Its not worth it. I will always be an Evertonian and care for the club, but I genuinely feel like just jibbing any active involvement with it. Its a waste of emotional energy.

That pretty much sums it up.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement