Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 NEW WARNING FROM MODS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

No. He has slightly more wins.

As a fan of Everton for almost 25 years this season has been one of the worst. It's amazing the team got to 40 points as soon as they did. At the same time getting Allerdyce in was a massive knee jerk. Yeah the team were struggling but they were never going down. Now we're stuck with Sam or have to pay massive money to get rid.

Hopefully the next manager actually cares about the club because the last two certainly didn't.

Premier league record

507 matches
    199 losses
    172 wins
    136 draws

https://www.premierleague.com/managers/2049/Sam-Allardyce/overview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Summer In the City

Esse85 wrote: »
    Premier league record

507 matches
    199 losses
    172 wins
    136 draws

https://www.premierleague.com/managers/2049/Sam-Allardyce/overview

I stand corrected. I was using wiki and included a championship season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Why are ye even replying to this guy lads? I’m reading this as a total neutral ... ye are clearly being trolled.

Just stop replying to the nonsense / ignore it and he might get the hint eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

He's clearly a kopite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭wally79

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,796 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It is true though that under Koeman the season was looking like a car crash. The team was playing really badly, there was little hope that they would get better (hence why he was fired) and it was quite conceivable that Eventon would spend the year in, or close to, the relegation zone.

Whilst I think that getting SA was a poor decision, as I think that bringing in any decent manager with the players that were at the club would have been sufficient to ward off the relegation threat, I also understand why the club went with him.

If they had gone for a young championship level manager, or a young foreign manager, the big risk would be that they would struggle to settle the ship and be facing into a prolonged relegation fight. Worst scenario would be that the idea failed and the new manager struggled and wilted under the pressure, Everton continued to slide, and the club were forced to act again in the middle of relegation fight.

So SA has done the job he was brought in to do. Sure the football is pretty awful, but not compared to what went before it, only compared to expectations. Given the terrible start to the season, and the difficulty there can be in turning that around, I think SA has done the job he was tasked with.

Part of the problem, IMO, is that people are basing their expectations on what they thought was going to happen at the start of the season. Instead, one needs to forget that and think of the situation facing the team when Koeman was fired. The club seemed to be totally unprepared for just how bad things were, and had no back up plan. It was clear that had put everything in the Koeman basket and when that failed they seemed not to have an idea what to do next. Upson was a disaster and so going with a proven relegation survivor when the natural step.

The problem is that he should have always been seen a a stop gap, a firefighter. And maybe behind the scenes he is. Give him an 18 month contract to make it look like he will be there for a while, as we all know how players act when they think the manager won't be around too long. It could well be that the club have every intention of moving him on (they get saved, he gets a nice bonus) and going with a new manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Nice post Leroy, if all Everton fans were like you then I probably would never have posted in this thread about Sam Allardyce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Leroy42 wrote: »

The problem is that he should have always been seen a a stop gap, a firefighter. And maybe behind the scenes he is.

I agree with most of your post except this point. There's no evidence to suggest he can't take them to the next level. There's plenty of evidence he can take championship or struggling Prem sides to their realistic peak which is secure midtable or a Europa spot. That certainly doesn't mean he's limited to that pigeon hole. With the same pragmatic and moneyball policies there's no reason he can't take Everton to their realistic peak which with the money available is far higher than any of his previous sides.

Now I've no issue with people who's sole reason for not wanting him at Everton is his hard to watch style but I'll also argue those who think they *need* a better style to progress higher, that's certainly not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

"Davy Klaassen is still an anomaly to me, as to will he or won't he?

what the f**k does that even mean?

lawred2 wrote:
    what the f**k does that even mean?

That is telling you that he is not doing it in training.

eagle eye wrote: »
    That is telling you that he is not doing it in training.

In that case Schneiderlin must be bossing it during training because he does **** all on the pitch

In that case Schneiderlin must be bossing it during training because he does **** all on the pitch

This often happens.

This often happens.

No it doesn't, what does often happen is that a manager is too stupid/blind/lazy/incompetent to drop a player who is clearly not putting the shift in when it matters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

With a bit of luck the board will have been working quietly behind the scenes and have Brands and a decent manager signed up and ready to be announced as soon as the season is done, but before the transfer window opens. The day after the final match, they can thank Allardyce and Walsh for their work and let them go, then a couple of days later (out of curtesy) announce the new team. But by having them in place quietly long before then it means they can hit the transfer window at full pace from the start rather than only being appointed halfway through it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭house45

This is Everton , NOTHING is ever straght forward .

No it doesn't, what does often happen is that a manager is too stupid/blind/lazy/incompetent to drop a player who is clearly not putting the shift in when it matters

Well I know it happens a lot. I'm not guessing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

We are painful to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    We are painful to watch

Since 1987

Where's eagle eye and Rekop dog?

Thought one of them might come in to defend Allardyce's decision to take off a winger for a centre back just after they equalised - top managerial decision right there......

• Advertisement

Where's eagle eye and Rekop dog?

Thought one of them might come in to defend Allardyce's decision to take off a winger for a centre back just after they equalised - top managerial decision right there......
    Pep Guardiola changed his formaton at half time against Liverpool after bossing the first half and they lost.
    I'd bet you'd cream yourself if Pep Guardiola took the Everton job despite the fact that he made a huge mistake tactically against Liverpool.

I didn't see the Swansea game yesterday so can't comment on it. Maybe he felt they were in danger of conceding another? I don't know but you got a point away against a side who had won their previous four at hiome beating Arsenal, Liverpool, Burnley and West Ham in those fixtures so it sounds like a very good point to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭dubrov

eagle eye wrote:
    I didn't see the Swansea game yesterday

Says it all really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I don't know but you got a point away against a side who had won their previous four

as said above the football is painful to watch - perpetually last on match of the day - for the amount of money spent we expect more than celebrating a point against Swansea , a lucky point at that (again)

thebaz wrote:
    as said above the football is painful to watch - perpetually last on match of the day - for the amount of money spent we expect more than celebrating a point against Swansea , a lucky point at that (again)

I'm sure Liverpool, Arsenal and Burnley expected more too but they got nothing from their trips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

I'm sure Liverpool, Arsenal and Burnley expected more too but they got nothing from their trips.
    They at least tried for a win. We go to a relegation threatened team, with no pressure, and noting to lose, and Allardyce sets us up to play for a draw. That's the level of his ambition, and the ambition of any team that hires him...

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

I wonder how Sky are going to promote Monday night's game against Newcastle?
    "The race for 9th is on. Which of these two sleeping giants will take a giant stride to finish the season as top dog?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Wenger looking for a job in a few weeks time.
    I'd love if we could nab him for a couple of seasons.

SickBoy wrote: »
    Wenger looking for a job in a few weeks time.
    I'd love if we could nab him for a couple of seasons.

He will rightly go down as a legendary manager but it appears, from the outside, that he indulges underperforming players - we have too many of them for it to work

Saying that, compared to who we have now he'd be a major upgrade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

He will rightly go down as a legendary manager but it appears, from the outside, that he indulges underperforming players - we have too many of them for it to work

Saying that, compared to who we have now he'd be a major upgrade

If he brought in arteta as assistant with a view to him becoming manager in a few seasons I'd be interested

eh i dunno wrote: »
    If he brought in arteta as assistant with a view to him becoming manager in a few seasons I'd be interested

That's not a bad idea to be fair, but being realistic I couldn't see him managing another Premiership team - I'm sure he'll end up back in France

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Any good films on TV around 8pm tonight?

eh i dunno wrote:
    Any good films on TV around 8pm tonight?

"Summer of Sam" is one to avoid

Whatever happens next season I hope we don't see a mid three of Schneiderlin Guaye and Rooney again.

I could hear Allardyce roaring at his players to get out and move up the pitch. You still have the lead but you might lose it if the players keep sitting deeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I could hear Allardyce roaring at his players to get out and move up the pitch. You still have the lead but you might lose it if the players keep sitting deeper.

great insight. You should consider coaching

It's not an insight, I could hear it on the TV at one stage.
    Your response is so childish imo.

He just said the teams passing ability has nothing to do with him, the coach.

No, he said that he doesn't make the passes, the players do. He was saying that the players are at fault for the bad passes not the coaching

No, he said that he doesn't make the passes, the players do. He was saying that the players are at fault for the bad passes not the coaching

If the players can't pass that rests on the coaches shoulders.

It's a basic skill of the game like.

It wouldn't be like Big Samuel to take any responsibility though.

• Advertisement

Well the fact is that there were some very bad passes made tonight but I would be blaming the individual players for them personally.

Well the fact is that there were some very bad passes made tonight but I would be blaming the individual players for them personally.

Maybe if it was a once off. Its not though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

If the players can't pass that rests on the coaches shoulders.

It's a basic skill of the game like.

He will get round to it after he teaches them how to wipe their noses and colour in their colouring book.

I saw very little attempted passing out there. The tactic seemed to be to hoof it up the pitch and work off the scraps.

Anyway it won't matter soon. I'm sure Arsenal have tapped Sam up already and we are currentlyin compensation negotiations to two-year him. They are looking for someone with his experience to take the club to the next level.

You'd far greater possession and made more than 100 more passes than Newcastle last night. It wasn't all hoof ball, it was in fact a wide variety depending on different situations. Some of you here are letting your agenda completely mask your ability to analyse a game.

And above all another win for the club, something I'm afraid you'll have to get used to if Sam stays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Rekop dog wrote: »

And above all another win for the club, something I'm afraid you'll have to get used to if Sam stays.

I'll make a bet for next season that if Big Sam stays at Everton he'll have less than 50% win percentage in the league if you're willing to match the bet?

• Advertisement

I'll make a bet for next season that if Big Sam stays at Everton he'll have less than 50% win percentage in the league if you're willing to match the bet?

Yeah go on then, I've 50% or more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

That wouldn't be much of a bet seen as Everton have only finished up in the league with a 50 percent or over win percentage in 3 out of the last 30 odd season's.

Interestingly under Sam even tho he started later and has games to go they have already 17 wins which is something they rarely do.

Will be interesting to see what players he brings in this summer to shape the team the way he wants it.

jayo26 wrote: »
    That wouldn't be much of a bet seen as Everton have only finished up in the league with a 50 percent or over win percentage in 3 out of the last 30 odd season's.

Interestingly under Sam even tho he started later and has games to go they have already 17 wins which is something they rarely do.

Will be interesting to see what players he brings in this summer to shape the team the way he wants it.

It's irrelevant what went before considering they've much more money to spend than they ever have. Completely different measurables now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

can we stop feeding it?

lawred2 wrote: »
    can we stop feeding it?

No! It needs to be fed goddammit!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement