Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insect Bite's

Options
  • 31-07-2012 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭

Anyone else have a few little red marks?

Ourselves and the Neighbours are all sporting 3 or 4 bites, arms and legs.

Not the work of the old horse fly, at least he let you know he was there.

Some of the lumps are quite impressive.

I'm putting it down to the Bin charges.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do flies that are attracted to rubbish bite?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Thanks for that Victor.

Maybe I should have put this in AH, your move.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

nudger wrote: »
    Thanks for that Victor.

Maybe I should have put this in AH, your move.

Well, how is it Dublin-centric?
    Your move.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Yup - I spent the weekend working outside and was bitten to pieces by mosquitoes, bites are still lumps, 3 or 4 days on

Birneybau wrote: »
    Well, how is it Dublin-centric?
    Your move.

We don't usually have Mozzies in Dublin city.

There have been reports out around the cost, malahide etc but not city center.

Houses have cut back on putting the bins out weekly and doing it by the lift as it works out cheaper.

On hot days the smell off some of these bins is cat and they are covered in fly's, blue bottles, just wondering would this attract the little biters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Bed bugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

There have been reports out around the cost, malahide etc but not city center.

Houses have cut back on putting the bins out weekly and doing it by the lift as it works out cheaper.

On hot days the smell off some of these bins is cat and they are covered in fly's, blue bottles, just wondering would this attract the little biters.

deffo a mozzie, found one of the bloodsuckers on my arm bleeding me dry(over dramatization)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

mosquitoes love my blood, I've been bitten in Dublin a few times - mostly out by the coast as someone said, but I've definitely been bitten in the city too.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Bed bugs?

Thought of that, would prefer if it was mossies.

Bed bugs are hard to get rid of, dirty feckers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Yep, bit to bits here in Cabinteely for the last 2 weeks....basterds!

• Advertisement

benwavner wrote: »
    Yep, bit to bits here in Cabinteely for the last 2 weeks....basterds!

Is this usual in your area or is it new this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

I was bitten in rathmines last week, no idea what got me but I've still got a red lump on my arm that's slowly getting bigger!! To make things more paranoid, I watched monster's inside me yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

I have been getting a few bites on myself also. No idea what they are. I suspected it was fleas so I brought my kitty to the vet and he got a clean bill of health from the vet (the vet applied some flea replant just as a precautionary measure)

here is a pretty good guide on identifying insect bites:
    http://www.webmd.com/allergies/ss/slideshow-bad-bugs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Is this usual in your area or is it new this year?

Its the only time I have noticed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Classic myth.

MadsL wrote: »
    Classic myth.

Well where I am D7/D15 have not had this before, might get the odd bite time to time but nothing like this.

When abroad I'm a magnet for mossies.

Had a few friends up over the weekend and a good few were sporting bites all within a mile or so of where I live, just wondering is it the bad time of the year for them or has there been a big increase in activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TiggerU2

I'm in D7 area and have spotted a few in recent weeks alright. In fact I'm attempting to watch a movie right now but am on mozzie alert seeing as there's one little fecker who keeps whizzing past me every so often...I did manage to splat his friend earlier though, hurrah!

TiggerU2 wrote: »
    I'm in D7 area and have spotted a few in recent weeks alright. In fact I'm attempting to watch a movie right now but am on mozzie alert seeing as there's one little fecker who keeps whizzing past me every so often...I did manage to splat his friend earlier though, hurrah!

Keep up the good work.
    Found this in another thread and to my shock got one later last night.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/512242/215400.JPG

Sprayed the utility room and downstairs WC area and checked the next morning and found a first cousin of the guy in the picture.

Got rid of any water containers in the garden today, old bin down the back was riddled with little feckers, don't know what but Big Dom sorted them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Malahide is the worst for them. I'm allergic to the bites anyway but last summer I got some in Malahide Castle and ended up with a bacterial infection in my leg. It was huge, hot, hard and then my whole leg turned purple. Exciting A&E trip for me to get Penicillin drip and blood tests :(

Doctors couldn't believe I'd gotten them in Ireland. Haven't been out there since for a walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

I seen a huge mosquito in the phoenix park, I just froze hoping it wouldn't land on me, my bites healed and looking better now, but I've noticed in my porch every morning their is about 10-15 flies, they look like blue bottles from afar but up close they are brown on their backs, some don't even have wings, flick them off the wall and they run away, the don't try fly away, it's getting really annoying now as the room is sealed shut, I've sprayed insect killer and they're still coming back!!??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Malahide is the worst for them. I'm allergic to the bites anyway but last summer I got some in Malahide Castle and ended up with a bacterial infection in my leg. It was huge, hot, hard and then my whole leg turned purple. Exciting A&E trip for me to get Penicillin drip and blood tests :(

Doctors couldn't believe I'd gotten them in Ireland. Haven't been out there since for a walk.

Got about 20 bites on my legs after being in Malahide last year and they were worse than any I've got when abroad - apparently the estuary environment is great for them. I also heard a rumour that an old resident of the castle introduced mozzies to Ireland in the first place, that could be a load of tripe though!

For fellow sufferers - garlic is a great prevention apparently. I just have anecdotal evidence for this after years of being mosquito fodder (eat garlic/take supplement - no bites; eat a non-garlicky meal/forget to take supplement - torture!)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Ray Dow

It seems that there has been an explosion in the culex pipien mosquito population. This is the lil bastard in question:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culex_pipiens

Don't know what's caused it and tbh I didn't even know we had mozzies in Ireland, I have a particular interest as I'm allergic to them. My apartment block (but thank god they haven't actually made it into the apartment, apart from a few stragglers from the main swarm) has been infested with them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Ray Dow wrote: »
    It seems that there has been an explosion in the culex pipien mosquito population. This is the lil bastard in question:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culex_pipiens

Don't know what's caused it and tbh I didn't even know we had mozzies in Ireland, I have a particular interest as I'm allergic to them. My apartment block (but thank god they haven't actually made it into the apartment, apart from a few stragglers from the main swarm) has been infested with them

I had one or two in my room almost every almost in a house in Dublin 1 last summer. I'm not living there anymore but close by, hope there aren't more this summer

Advertisement